Author Topic: Ticket Prices  (Read 8573 times)

stevewizzle

Re: Ticket Prices
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2014, 06:58:11 pm »
I'm in favor of 930 club using any ticketing service that offers paperless tickets because it's 2014 for god sake!

If I can't make the poor, overweight rabble who work at music venues look at my expensive cell phone as they scan my ticket, I don't know what the point of going to concerts is!

Really cell phones only go up so much in price.  The poor staff at the club might have the most expensive cell phone out there.  Making bad decisions like skipping college or having a stupid major in college is probably corelated to making bad decisions on purchases like buying a cell phone you can't afford.

are you suggesting folks do what you did, and get two stupid majors instead of one?

Julian, White Poet WARLORD

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2014, 07:08:13 pm »
As Artists are around longer their fans get older.  Older fans can afford higher priced tickets.  So the price goes up.  It is supply and demand.  Bands charge as much as they can.  Having five venues bidding on the same band won't make ticket prices go up.  Did you even take Econmics 101 in college.  More venues bidding makes profit margin go down. It isn't suddenly going to make people want to pay more to see an act.

I have wanted to see acts that play the 930 club and I see 75 dollars and I say nevermind.  I am not going to say wait there are 5 venues in town and now I am willing to pay  more for a show.  That is the dumbest logic ever.  If anything more venues would lead to lower prices.  You have all these options and you decide to go the one you like that is least expensive.
I can't believe I'm saying this, but atomic is so spot on it's frightening! Ticket prices are a product of supply and demand. Seth's issue with other venues moving into the general area has to do with him being able to make less, not some altruistic concern of what we will pay for concerts.

EDIT: I emphasized his most prescient point.

I don't know that I buy that...

the venues  are lowering their profit margins but at the same time also increasing prices for the consumer.. they compete on both ends.... not just on one...
And a venue's capability to maximize ticket revenue has a natural cap based on how much people are willing to pay to see a band that trumps everything else. You guys act like if Jimmy Eat World ticket prices are $20 or $85 they're going to sell the same amount of tickets just because the venue says so.

Yours much better off looking at concert venues as wholesalers of inessential luxury goods for economic purposes.
LVMH

hutch

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2014, 07:12:17 pm »
[quote author=Julian, Community ORGANIZER link=topic=23753.msg387243#msg387243

Yours much better off looking at concert venues as wholesalers of inessential luxury goods for economic purposes.
[/quote]

you can throw out Jimmy Eat World but I can throw out Nick Cave...

there is probably no single way of looking at concert ticket prices..it surely varies by type of show and market and venue size, etc....

as far as what people are willing to pay a certain something called stubhub makes it very clear people are willing to pay a lot more than face value on a lot of the action...

emmanuel

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2014, 08:39:13 pm »
Since I am in Baltimore, I often compare Philly and DC shows, although mostly in terms of set times and days, since the prices are not terribly different. Philly seems to be a bit cheaper on average, perhaps just because of the local taxes?

emmanuel

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2014, 08:41:27 pm »
Also prices for ~200-1000 capacity indie rock shows were typically 2-3 times higher in Germany (typically 40-50 in USD) + 2-3 times more for gas when out of town, so I certainly won't complain about prices here.

hutch

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2014, 08:56:50 pm »
Since I am in Baltimore, I often compare Philly and DC shows, although mostly in terms of set times and days, since the prices are not terribly different. Philly seems to be a bit cheaper on average, perhaps just because of the local taxes?

Franz Ferdinand in Philly was half of what it cost in DC...

robovampire

« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2014, 08:59:08 pm »
Miss Cleo Science time for bands that have played both FSS and 930

Mastodon was 3 dollars less this time around the 930, with a Fillmore show booked in between, which was more, but included Opeth.

Portugal the Man - cheaper at 9:30 I think, though not Zoo cheap

Minus the Bear - cheaper at 9:30, before fees come into play

Didn't bother when Lotus did Fillmore, I think they were 9:30 this time around too.

2Chainz has gone back and forth, haven't paid too much attention there, asides from his latest classic, Netflix.

Coheed and Cambria seem to be rotating as well. samish price

Manchester Orchestra - basically same, though unavoidable ticketmaster fees.

Anymore of note?

Purely anecdotally, breaking Indie/synth bands seem to commanding a higher price than I remember. Then you have of Montreal, going 2 9:30 shows > 1 9:30 > 2 U Street Music Hall > Ottobar. Oversatuation, bad new material, or fickle indie crowd?

hutch

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2014, 09:05:57 pm »
drats...science..

;D

K8teebug

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2014, 08:15:57 am »
I am glad people still care about going to shows.  They cost more than they did 10 years ago, or 20 years ago, but so does everything else.  Just a sign of the times. 

I would love to not have 15 bucks added on to the price of my ticket, but what can I really do about it?

Pearl Jam tried to battle ticketmaster all those years ago, and it was a pain in the ass to get those tickets.  Now they're right back to getting LiveNation or Ticketmaster to handle the tickets for their tours.

Does it suck that it costs so much?  Yes.  Do I miss out on a bunch of shows because I have to be more choosy now?  Yes.  But, that's just the way it goes.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2014, 12:10:51 pm »

stevewizzle

« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2014, 12:26:04 pm »
Anymore of note?

the venues are roughly the same size (fillmore is slightly bigger, IIRC), yet we only could name a handful of comparisons over it's 3 year existence.  leads me to believe you're comparing apples to oranges here...

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2014, 03:08:33 pm »

atomic

« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2014, 04:01:31 pm »
I am glad people still care about going to shows.  They cost more than they did 10 years ago, or 20 years ago, but so does everything else.  Just a sign of the times. 

I would love to not have 15 bucks added on to the price of my ticket, but what can I really do about it?

Pearl Jam tried to battle ticketmaster all those years ago, and it was a pain in the ass to get those tickets.  Now they're right back to getting LiveNation or Ticketmaster to handle the tickets for their tours.

Does it suck that it costs so much?  Yes.  Do I miss out on a bunch of shows because I have to be more choosy now?  Yes.  But, that's just the way it goes.

I am sure a lot of those service charges go back to the venue.   Ticketmaster/Live Nation has been losing a lot of money so its not like they are getting rich off of you.   

Hexenjagd

« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2014, 06:03:57 pm »
Anymore of note?

the venues are roughly the same size (fillmore is slightly bigger, IIRC), yet we only could name a handful of comparisons over it's 3 year existence.  leads me to believe you're comparing apples to oranges here...
1200 vs 2000 person capacity is only slightly bigger to you?  That is closer to twice as big.

stevewizzle

« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2014, 06:36:42 pm »
Anymore of note?

1200 vs 2000 person capacity is only slightly bigger to you?  That is closer to twice as big.

i thought it was 1500 for some reason.