Author Topic: Fitness Thread  (Read 4803 times)

atomic

Fitness Thread
« on: May 30, 2014, 04:44:31 pm »
Use this thread to discuss your fitness goals and generally getting in shape.  It is common belief that if you talk about your fitness goals you are more likely to meet them.

So I haven't really done any weight lifting since I met my wife 3 1/2 years ago.  I could only bench press 155 pounds when I tried yesterday.  I feel like such a loser.  My goal is to be able to do 10 reps of 225 pounds.  That would put me above some NFL safeties.  I feel I am about the average size of an NFL safety so that seems like a good realistic goal.. 

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
Re: Fitness Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 04:51:12 pm »
My plan is to qualify for Boston.

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 04:53:34 pm »
I actually don't really have any fitness goals. I wanted to lose like 10 or 15 pounds. Since about late August I've lost 5. I've only been doing some weight lifting. My buddy was a personal trainer and gave me some pointers. I do it 3 times a week. Just don't want to be overweight. Cutting down on eating junk food. Eating more stuff at home. Don't really have a goal in weight lifting though. Just wanted to lean down.
‼‼?‼‼

Julian, White Poet WARLORD

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 05:00:06 pm »
My fitness goal is to lose about 25 pounds. In the months before my back surgery, virtually all exercise (I was a big runner) were impossible and I ballooned up. Feels good getting back in the swing if things in the last month.
LVMH

Yada

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2014, 05:08:55 pm »
I try to do at least 30 minutes of cardio at least 4 days a week and lift maybe once a week (do you even lift?), however, my long heavy dreads get in the way sometimes.

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2014, 06:05:49 pm »
I work out regularly but have no fitness goals really.  I started exercising while going through some major life drama that was dragging and dragging on.  I had so much anger fear and adrenaline built up all the time exercising was all I could do to try and stay reasonably sane and not like I was going to explode and snap.

The drama is gone but the exercising is still there.  I do it because it makes me feel great.  Looking good and living better and longer are just fortunate byproducts of doing something that makes me feel good.

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2014, 07:47:46 pm »
I've never really set goals as far as exercise itself, but I like to train for long bike rides.  This year I joined a gym so I could use the shower before going to work and during the winter I started doing some cardio/weights and think I will continue.

But I'm really just love to build up to long rides. Two years ago I did 110 in a day, I'm thinking I'd like to break 125/150 this summer.
I'm fortunate I can get some biking whilst commuting. Currently, I am kid car pooling and I'm only getting about 1 ride in mid week, but come this June it's going to be 3-4 week 15 miles each way.  That will certainly build my stamina in a month or two and just get some big rides in on the weekends

DC does a lot of things kinda meh, but the bike trail system is just the bees-knees.  I've ridden 1000's of miles with only crossing a few roads. My commute to work is nearly car free from S. Arlington to Bethesda.
I can't tell you how relaxing that is compared to driving to/home work

Also as it's obvious, I'm a rabid music fan, but I never listen to music when I ride. The serenity of the trails is like gospel.
I ran when I was younger and loved it, but after my mid 20's it just hurt and didn't appeal to me anymore.
I will say that for every 100 runners on the trail, I only see 2 or 3 with a smile or are relaxed and enjoying their run...that I really don't understand.  The other 98 look like they are in pain and not enjoying themselves.
slack

James Ford

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2014, 09:31:24 pm »
Christ, this is about the least punk rock thread I've read in my entire life.

I've ran 17 marathons, I might do a few more.

I used to be able to put one of my legs behind my head, I can't anymore. I try touching my toes and can barely reach my knees. I should really do yoga.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 09:35:19 pm by James Ford »

hutch

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2014, 09:49:38 pm »
i got nothing.

:D

Relaxer

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2014, 09:17:29 am »
I do 30 minutes of hard cardio and 45 minutes of weights 6 days a week. Been doing so pretty consistently for many years. Bike to work. Do fitness stuff with my kids. And I've been running stairs with weights for awhile to prepare for an Old Rag race I'm doing on Wednesday.

The nice thing is that in my 40s, I'm much smarter about how I do it so that I'm not always getting injured like I did in my 20s and 30s.
oword

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2014, 10:01:46 am »
i have sex . . . lots, and lots, of sex.  burn calories, burn.

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2014, 10:33:21 am »
Christ, this is about the least punk rock thread I've read in my entire life.

I've ran 17 marathons, I might do a few more.

In all fairness, this isn't a punk rock forum   ;)  Have zero desire to ever run marathons - hats off to you, tho.

Stay active.  Drink water.  Eat and drink moderately.  Sleep well.  That's the formula for me.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2014, 12:13:20 pm »
you forgot, lots and lots, of sex.

stevewizzle

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2014, 01:05:37 pm »
i really got into climbing about 8 months ago... it's been going well, but i'm starting to plateau with bouldering.  my short term goal is to elevate the difficulty of routes, long term is to get a six pack. given the amount of beer i drink, i doubt i ever achieve this goal. another small goal is to offset climbing with either yoga or running.  i ran a half last december, and can count on two hands how many times i've ran since.

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2014, 02:39:56 pm »
you forgot, lots and lots, of sex.

Hopefully this goes without saying.  Never hurts to remind folks, tho!