Author Topic: Food Coupons/Discount Codes  (Read 45389 times)

Julian, White Poet WARLORD

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
Re: Food Coupons/Discount Codes
« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2014, 02:36:53 pm »
I believe I've spoken extensively in the past about my dry cleaning of denim.
LVMH

James Ford

« Reply #46 on: June 03, 2014, 02:37:06 pm »
Why do you have car payments? Wouldn't it be better to pay cash for the car and invest the money you pay on the payments in something with a return on investment? I'm asking, not accusing.

Do you carry any credit card debt from month to month? If you do, that makes you stupid.

I have no credit card debt.  I don't charge credit cards and pay them off at the end of the month either.  I don't spend more than I have in my checking account.  I usually put whatever I have left over into my savings account each pay period.  I have a couple of thousand every two weeks to spend on whatever I want.  Usually I end up with a surplus.  

I pay more than my minimum car payments each month.   I put the max into my 401k.  But if I see something I want to buy I buy it.  Is this some sort of contest?

atomic

« Reply #47 on: June 03, 2014, 02:38:19 pm »
I like to spend money it is fun.  I like expensive jeans, glasses, shirts, watches, cars.  I like to go to expensive restaurants and order expensive food.  I like staying in 5 star hotels when I am on vacation.    If I wasn't going to spend so much money I could get a job that is fun like being a lifeguard. 

out of curiosity, what expensive jeans do you buy? 

personally i buy one pair of raw denim a year.  i work outdoors about 50% of the time, so when my nice jeans get old, i rotate them to my work jeans rotation.  i'll have a pair of nice denim for 5+ years.  financially it probably works out to be a wash... lower quality jeans i blow through every 6 months or so.

I guess they aren't really that expensive.  80 bucks on average I guess.  But I buy Lucky Brand Jeans.  They seem to hold up better than most jeans. 

atomic

« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2014, 02:39:34 pm »
Why do you have car payments? Wouldn't it be better to pay cash for the car and invest the money you pay on the payments in something with a return on investment? I'm asking, not accusing.

Do you carry any credit card debt from month to month? If you do, that makes you stupid.

I have no credit card debt.  I don't charge credit cards and pay them off at the end of the month either.  I don't spend more than I have in my checking account.  I usually put whatever I have left over into my savings account each pay period.  I have a couple of thousand every two weeks to spend on whatever I want.  Usually I end up with a surplus.  

I pay more than my minimum car payments each month.   I put the max into my 401k.  But if I see something I want to buy I buy it.  Is this some sort of contest?

I could I guess save up five years for a car but as interest payments are next to nothing on new cars it really doesn't make any sense.  Also you will earn next to nothing putting your money in the bank.  What can you invest in now that will guarantee you a ROI of any substance? 

Did you pay cash for your house?

Yada

« Reply #49 on: June 03, 2014, 02:40:41 pm »
back on topic.

James Ford

« Reply #50 on: June 03, 2014, 02:45:06 pm »
I didn't pay cash for my house, but we made as large of a down payment as we could, and pay it off more aggressively than necessary. Which may not be the most financially prudent thing, but getting rid of all debt would make me a happier man.

I could I guess save up five years for a car but as interest payments are next to nothing on new cars it really doesn't make any sense.  Also you will earn next to nothing putting your money in the bank.  What can you invest in now that will guarantee you a ROI of any substance? 

atomic

« Reply #51 on: June 03, 2014, 02:49:06 pm »
I didn't pay cash for my house, but we made as large of a down payment as we could, and pay it off more aggressively than necessary. Which may not be the most financially prudent thing, but getting rid of all debt would make me a happier man.

So you can retire early?  Well if you use those two egg mcmuffins for 3 bucks every day you could save quite a bit of money. 

Yada

« Reply #52 on: June 03, 2014, 02:54:33 pm »

So you can retire early?  Well if you use those two egg mcmuffins for 3 bucks every day you could save quite a bit of money. 

It's hard to win against Jimmy... You say you eat a McD's to save money and then it would turn into a conversation about how bad McD's is and not about it being a fiscally smart move.

James Ford

« Reply #53 on: June 03, 2014, 02:55:15 pm »
What do you consider "retiring early"?

My brother just "retired" from his government job at age 44. He's a happy man. I also think he will run out of money if he's not thrifty.

I myself enjoy what I do and never want to retire. I suppose if I had all my debt paid off and had money left over after helping out my daughter and maybe my mom financially, maybe I'd give more to charity.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 02:58:40 pm by James Ford »

« Reply #54 on: June 03, 2014, 02:57:06 pm »
It's really weird that none of you seem to be factoring in your trust funds or accrued interests on your family's charitable trust foundations in this discussion.
LVMH

James Ford

« Reply #55 on: June 03, 2014, 02:57:26 pm »
It would actually cost you more to eat at McDonalds than to cook healthier versions of the same food yourself. And the medical bills...

Sidehatch would tell you that. Or Morgan Spurlock. True story.

Don't any of you read and enjoy Michelle Singletary's columns in the Post?

It's hard to win against Jimmy... You say you eat a McD's to save money and then it would turn into a conversation about how bad McD's is and not about it being a fiscally smart move.

James Ford

« Reply #56 on: June 03, 2014, 02:58:11 pm »
My dad died 18 years ago and my mom lives from one social security check to the next.

It's really weird that none of you seem to be factoring in your trust funds or accrued interests on your family's charitable trust foundations in this discussion.

ggw

« Reply #57 on: June 03, 2014, 03:00:52 pm »
My dad died 18 years ago and my mom lives from one social security check to the next.

And meanwhile you hoard craft beer and go on multiple international vacations.  What a dick.

« Reply #58 on: June 03, 2014, 03:01:54 pm »

My goodness, sorry to hear that. Why are none of your family's socialite friends holding annual fundraiser balls for your benefit?
LVMH

James Ford

« Reply #59 on: June 03, 2014, 03:03:38 pm »
I also took her and paid her way on two international vacations (she had never been out of the country prior to that), and pay 100% of her bill when we go out anywhere. I'd help her out more if I could, but my wife would never allow it. Yes, what a dick I am.

And meanwhile you hoard craft beer and go on multiple international vacations.  What a dick.