Author Topic: Trail of Dead / Blood Brothers roll call  (Read 3128 times)

Vas Deferens

Trail of Dead / Blood Brothers roll call
« on: November 14, 2006, 01:33:00 pm »
Who else will be there?
(_|_)

lukiedookie89

Re: Trail of Dead / Blood Brothers roll call
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006, 02:00:00 pm »
Me!! I'm excited to see both of these bands!

Myfo

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2006, 02:08:00 pm »
Can't wait for another Trail of Dead show!!! I ended up on stage with a dozen other people last time they played in town.

manimtired

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2006, 02:37:00 pm »
think this will sell out?

Vas Deferens

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2006, 02:44:00 pm »
Doubt it.

Originally posted by manimtired:
  think this will sell out?
(_|_)

Vas Deferens

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2006, 03:05:00 pm »
Not so favorable review of TOD show (NYC) from fluxblog:

To be very honest, a lot of my motivation for sticking around through And You Will Know Us By The Trail of Dead's performance was rooted in a lingering feeling of pity that came after reading this thoroughly depressing Pitchfork interview with band leader Conrad Keely. As I watched the show, I couldn't help but think about how miserable Keely came across in that feature, and how his band's grand ambitions almost always led to either commercial or artistic failure.

The band is constantly reaching for grandeur, but aside from the key tracks from Source Tags and Codes, they end up with these sort of pompous, overblown songs that do not earn their emotional weight. Their two most recent albums are like the musical equivalent of Oscar bait -- it's all gravitas for its own sake and unimaginative signifiers of artistic significance propping up mediocre compositions.* When they do write something quite special, such as the Source Tags opener "It Was There That I Saw You," they go and butcher the song in concert, with Keely's thin, off-key voice barely poking through the over-rendered mess of guitars and plodding percussion.

The band's live show gets a substantial shot of adrenaline when drummer Jason Reese abandons his kit and switches to lead vocals on some fierce hardcore numbers, but in spite of his stronger voice and considerable stage presence, it only complicates the band's obvious and crippling identity crisis. In the Pitchfork interview, Keely seems baffled as to why his band isn't hugely popular, and the answer is just so incredibly obvious: Aside from having a pretty terrible name, they have no recognizable persona. Keely is a fine guitarist but a lousy singer; Reese is a decent frontman but for a different band; and their new album sounds absolutely nothing like their live show, which itself is going through at least four different identities over the course of an hour and thirty minutes. It is good that the band are willing to try different things, but without some dominant personality or unifying style, they end up sounding unfocused and often quite generic.
(_|_)

thingsfallapart

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2006, 04:01:00 pm »
I'm not going to be there, unfortunately.  I hope Trail of Dead sticks to pre-Worlds Apart material--I've heard parts of the new album, and it didn't impress.  I disagree with the above blog though--I think all of Source Tags and Madonna are pretty amazaing stuff.

thirsty moore

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2006, 04:20:00 pm »
Originally posted by thingsfallapart:
 I disagree with the above blog though--I think all of Source Tags and Madonna are pretty amazaing stuff.
Am I wrong in thinking Madonna's better than Source Tags?  Source Tags is a great album, but Madonna has some really strong material.

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2006, 04:57:00 pm »
I was planning on going until I spoke to a friend who said the NY show pretty much blew.  He did enjoy the Blood Brothers though.

chokeychicken

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2006, 04:59:00 pm »
love the blood brothers, but their live performance just isnt worth the drive.

nkotb

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2006, 05:07:00 pm »
You are not wrong.

Originally posted by econo:

I disagree with the above blog though--I think all of Source Tags and Madonna are pretty amazaing stuff.
Am I wrong in thinking Madonna's better than Source Tags?  Source Tags is a great album, but Madonna has some really strong material. [/b]

lukiedookie89

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2006, 05:46:00 pm »
Dang, I'm going to have to leave Trail of Dead early in order to catch metro...
 Oh well, still gonna be a good time. I'm the teenager in the pink Against Me! shirt...see you guys there!

Vas Deferens

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2006, 05:50:00 pm »
leaving early here too....

what line? I'm using the red line towards Bethesda.

Originally posted by lukas:
  Dang, I'm going to have to leave Trail of Dead early in order to catch metro...
 Oh well, still gonna be a good time. I'm the teenager in the pink Against Me! shirt...see you guys there!
(_|_)

I Dare

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2006, 05:54:00 pm »
going for trail of dead.
 seen blood bros numerous times and wasnt impressed.
 also leaving early, green line towards branch.

i'll be the tall douche in the back. tee hee.

thingsfallapart

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2006, 08:47:00 pm »
Originally posted by econo:

Am I wrong in thinking Madonna's better than Source Tags?  Source Tags is a great album, but Madonna has some really strong material. [/b]
I personally like Source Tags better.  I think it may be one of the 10 best releases of the decade so far.  But Madonna has some truly amazing spots as well.