Author Topic: Ebola Playlist  (Read 9453 times)

ggw

Re: Ebola Playlist
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2014, 10:08:45 am »
In honor of Hutch:

Don't Worry, Be Happy...bobby mcferrin

never said that... but freaking out ain't gonna help...

we saw it over SARS too...

have some courage for god's sake.. between the panic over ISIS and this the American people are not looking good...

btw did nobody realize Ebola was killing tens of thousands in Africa for these past few months?

rather unseemly to suddenly freak out over THREE Americans...

Risk is not simply a product of the probability of an event occurring.  The degree of severity of the outcome is also a factor.  An Ebola epidemic in the U.S. is a very remote possibility.  But the death rate is somewhere in the 50-90% range and it's a really pleasant death - coughing and vomiting blood, diarrhea, systemic pain, external bleeding from every orifice as the body can't clot, etc...   The lucky survivors get to live with joint and muscle pain.  Better to overreact early than late, as they did in west Africa.

If you think your detested Americans are acting "unseemly," look at Europe.  Sealing off entire buildings because a couple of "sick-looking Africans" were spotted or refusing enrollment at schools for kids who are from the affected countries.

And you may want to entertain the possibility that SARS was a bust precisely because everyone freaked out, restricted travel, wore masks, etc...

hutch

« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2014, 10:28:16 am »
In honor of Hutch:

Don't Worry, Be Happy...bobby mcferrin

never said that... but freaking out ain't gonna help...

we saw it over SARS too...

have some courage for god's sake.. between the panic over ISIS and this the American people are not looking good...

btw did nobody realize Ebola was killing tens of thousands in Africa for these past few months?

rather unseemly to suddenly freak out over THREE Americans...

Risk is not simply a product of the probability of an event occurring.  The degree of severity of the outcome is also a factor.  An Ebola epidemic in the U.S. is a very remote possibility.  But the death rate is somewhere in the 50-90% range and it's a really pleasant death - coughing and vomiting blood, diarrhea, systemic pain, external bleeding from every orifice as the body can't clot, etc...   The lucky survivors get to live with joint and muscle pain.  Better to overreact early than late, as they did in west Africa.

If you think your detested Americans are acting "unseemly," look at Europe.  Sealing off entire buildings because a couple of "sick-looking Africans" were spotted or refusing enrollment at schools for kids who are from the affected countries.

And you may want to entertain the possibility that SARS was a bust precisely because everyone freaked out, restricted travel, wore masks, etc...

"Detested Americans"? Get out of here...

Panic is not the way.

Rogue Riderhood

« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2014, 01:05:24 pm »
4500 reported deaths.  CDC estimates actual number is 2.5 times the reported.
OK: 10,000 not tens of thousands.

James Ford

« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2014, 01:25:15 pm »
And if we're splitting hairs, it's five Americans afflicted, not three.  :P

4500 reported deaths.  CDC estimates actual number is 2.5 times the reported.
OK: 10,000 not tens of thousands.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2014, 02:11:10 pm »

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2014, 02:13:11 pm »

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2014, 02:14:59 pm »

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2014, 02:17:15 pm »

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2014, 01:58:25 pm »

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2014, 02:00:07 pm »

Yada

« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2014, 02:01:05 pm »
Don't Believe the Hype - Public Enemy

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2014, 02:03:05 pm »

This looks like a barely pubescent Tom Brady.
LVMH

Space Freely

« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2020, 04:06:05 pm »
You know it's going to be a crazy conversation when your Chinese-American co-worker approaches your desk and says “You have surgical mask already, right?”