Author Topic: Dylan Roll Call  (Read 2943 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: Dylan Roll Call
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2006, 11:56:00 am »
raconteurs did a kick-ass cover of nancy sinatra's "bang bang (my baby shot me down)", jack playing most of the song holding up his guitar with his fretting hand, no strap.  best opening act in recent memory.  

among the nuggets that dylan broke out were "all along the watchtower" and "like a rolling stone".  "tangled up in blue" was an unexpected treat.  

that was indeed a great show.
<sig>

palahniukkubrick

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2006, 02:45:00 pm »
Originally posted by sweetcell:
   dylan mixed up the old with the new, all the while messing with cadence, phrasing and delivery so that it was impossible to sing along - one had not choice but to shut up and listen.  
I thought that was hilarious. People around me looked like they really wanted to belt out that "How does it feel?" line from 'Like a Rolling Stone' but couldn't because of his phrasing. I also liked that 'Tangled Up in Blue,' had Bob rewriting and reorganizing the lyrics.

Overall, I was not as disappointed as I had expected to be. Bob's band was excellent, and he kept up with them fine. Some of the new arrangements are a bit too slick, which kind of killed the intimacy of the earlier tunes (although 'Senor' sounded great). Maybe if Bob had taken a cue from the Raconteurs--who were outstanding-- and grunged up the songs a bit they would have sounded better. Nonetheles he did a great job with both the old and the new tunes, and I'd happily see him again.

By the way, here's the setlist:
 Patriot Center
 November 17, 2006
 1. Cat's In The Well
 2. Señor (Tales Of Yankee Power)
 3. Rollin' And Tumblin'
 4. Boots Of Spanish Leather
 5. Cold Irons Bound
 6. When The Deal Goes Down  
 7. High Water (For Charley Patton)
 8. Most Likely You Go Your Way (And I'll Go Mine)
 9. Masters Of War  
 10. Spirit On The Water  
 11. Tangled Up In Blue
 12. Nettie Moore
 13. Highway 61 Revisited  

(encore)
 14.  Love Sick
 15.  Thunder On The Mountain
 16.  Like A Rolling Stone
 17.  All Along The Watchtower

BookerT

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2006, 03:49:00 pm »
this was a really good 21st century dylan show. much better than some of the ballpark shows i've seen recently. his voice was in shockingly fine form, the new material did seem to reinvigorate him. "tangled up in blue" was great. i'm so sick of every show ending with "rolling stone" and "watchtower," but what're you gonna do? i got to beat the traffic out, at least. fucking traffic. caused me to miss all but 20 minutes of the raconteurs, oh well. seemed like a rockin' good time, jack white is one of those guys that looks like he was born to have a guitar in his hands. it's like an extension of his body. good times.

thingsfallapart

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2006, 10:03:00 pm »
Originally posted by sweetcell:
 among the nuggets that dylan broke out were "all along the watchtower" and "like a rolling stone".  "tangled up in blue" was an unexpected treat.
He always plays AATW and LARS.  Would have liked to see Tangled though, never heard anything from Blood on the Tracks live.

pela123

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2006, 11:05:00 pm »
most of the times i've seen him he's played tangled up in blue--if you look at some of his past set lists, it shows up pretty often--great song though.

terry

« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2006, 09:41:00 am »
Given that this was my only Dylan show, I was pretty pleased. I wasn't familar with all of the songs he played but enjoyed his whole set. The Raconteurs were also very good so I'm glad I got a chance to see both sets.

I did find it odd that he only introduced half his band. Unless I missed something he only introduced two guitar players and that was it. Is this a normal thing at a Dylan concert?

evilizac

« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2006, 03:35:00 pm »
He introduced everyone in his band I'm pretty certain, not that I remember anyone but the guitar player on the right (Steve Kimock? is he famous from other stuff?). Did the bass player remind anyone else of the the from SNL in the GE Smith years. My friend just pointed out that he plays his bass rather high (like that guy) and that's all I could think of after he said that... not that I was close enough to see what anyone looked like.
    This was also my first sitdown concert and besides that it was great, I knew not to expect Dylan on guitar and even before hand that fact didn't dissapoint me at all... I mean it's Bob Dylan, the man's done whatever the hell he's wanted to do for what 40 something years so I'm glad he's not just standing still. I mean how can anyone really go to a Stones show and want to hear Satisfaction. But I digress... he did introduce his whole band I'm pretty sure.
WHAT?