Author Topic: Radio City Music Hall  (Read 8108 times)

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
Radio City Music Hall
« on: November 12, 2014, 03:10:45 pm »
I just received an invitation from my cruise line (NCL) to attend the 2014 Radio City Music Hall Christmas Spectacular.  It supposedly includes some sort of reception in the Roxy suite and a meet and greet with the Rockettes.  I've only been to NYC a very few times and do not know my way around very well at all.  The show is Monday December 15th at 6:00 PM.

Questions:

1) Have any of you been to Christmas show and if so what all should I expect?  In your opinion is it worth the drive up from Richmond to see the show?

2) For those who have been to the venue, are there any tips/pointers I should be aware of?

3) According to MapQuest it is a 5h 26m drive from my house to the venue.  If we leave Richmond at 8:00 that morning would we be able to make it to the show without hitting the brunt of the morning DC or NYC evening rush hours?

4) Is there parking within walking distance of the venue that is reliable and safe?  Any idea of cost?

5) What's good to eat n the area within walking distance?

Thanks!

« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 03:42:57 pm by RatBastard »
FUKIT

Julian, White Poet WARLORD

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
Re: Radio City Music Hall
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2014, 03:13:23 pm »
3) According to MapQuest it is a 5h 26m drive from my house to the venue.  If we leave Richmond at 8:00 that morning would we be able to make it to the show without hitting the brunt of the morning DC or NYC evening rush hours?
There is absolutely no way to go from Richmond to Manhattan in 5.5 hours, at any time of day or night. Tack at least 1 hour on that for even the most idyllic traffic conditions.
LVMH

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2014, 03:16:16 pm »
There is absolutely no way to go from Richmond to Manhattan in 5.5 hours, at any time of day or night. Tack at least 1 hour on that for even the most idyllic traffic conditions.

Yeah, I was giving the MQ estimate for reference.
FUKIT

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2014, 03:24:38 pm »
I would take Amtrak
slack

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2014, 03:26:20 pm »
jez you can take a bus for less than the tolls/gas/parking
http://www.wanderu.com/cheap-bus-tickets/richmond-va-to-new-york-ny

$30 each way

Having a car in NYC is an expensive liability
slack

Yada

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2014, 03:27:30 pm »
take a train you filthy animal.

Nigel Tufnel

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2014, 03:29:08 pm »
My wife made me go to that one year.  It sucked.

And take the train.

Yada

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2014, 03:31:28 pm »
My wife made me go to that one year.  It sucked.

And take the train.

heh... seriously, Christmas programs blow. My parents got us Transiberian Orchestra tickets one year and I think we lasted about 30 minutes at the show.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2014, 03:37:09 pm »
jesus . . . hates you

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2014, 03:39:01 pm »

$326 each way for a party of four.
FUKIT

Yada

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2014, 03:45:20 pm »

$326 each way for a party of four.

I'd bust out Christmas Vacation and stay at home.

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2014, 03:45:51 pm »
FUKIT

Nigel Tufnel

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2014, 03:49:57 pm »
There actually is touristy stuff to see near Radio City - Rockefeller Center is right there, so you can check out the Christmas Tree and the Ice Skaters...  St Patrick's Cathedral is right there, and a branch of Magnolia Cupcakes.  If you walk 15 blocks south, you're at Macy's and can check out the holiday window displays if you're so inclined.  10 blocks north, and you're in Central Park.

Keen's Steakhouse is near Macy's.  I've never been there, but I think it's an old-school NYC steakhouse, and not a tourist trap.  If you're into tourist traps, I think Guy Fieri's restaurant is pretty close to Radio City.

azaghal1981

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2014, 04:07:13 pm »
Sucks that the cheapest train tickets are already gone. That's the only way I'll ever go to NYC again unless I'm riding up with someone.

Spiritualized at RCMH is maybe the best sounding show I've ever been to.
احمد

Yada

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2014, 04:09:03 pm »
There actually is touristy stuff to see near Radio City - Rockefeller Center is right there, so you can check out the Christmas Tree and the Ice Skaters...  St Patrick's Cathedral is right there, and a branch of Magnolia Cupcakes.  If you walk 15 blocks south, you're at Macy's and can check out the holiday window displays if you're so inclined.  10 blocks north, and you're in Central Park.

Keen's Steakhouse is near Macy's.  I've never been there, but I think it's an old-school NYC steakhouse, and not a tourist trap.  If you're into tourist traps, I think Guy Fieri's restaurant is pretty close to Radio City.

I've been to Keen's, it ain't no Longhorn Steakhouse and it will cost some $$$ Ratbastard.