Author Topic: David Bowie Is...  (Read 115093 times)

Re: David Bowie Is...
« Reply #240 on: June 01, 2016, 11:07:37 pm »
It was at that period that I said, 'okay (Dylan) if you don't want to do it, I will.' I saw that leadership void. Even though the song isn't one of the most important on the album, it represented for me what the album was all about. If there wasn't someone who was going to use rock 'n' roll, then I'd do it."[5]
+1
slack

killsaly

« Reply #241 on: July 30, 2016, 08:50:24 pm »

K8teebug

« Reply #242 on: August 02, 2016, 08:12:39 am »

killsaly

« Reply #243 on: August 02, 2016, 02:50:32 pm »
I am listening to the studio version now.  I think I prefer the version from the Howard Stern show, her vocal mix is dry compared to the heavily drenched in reverb studio version. 

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #244 on: November 02, 2016, 01:24:08 pm »
The David Bowie emoji has arrived
What do avocados, owls and the late David Bowie have in common? They all feature in the new batch of emojis released by Apple this week.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/11/02/technology/apple-emoji-david-bowie-women/index.html
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #245 on: November 14, 2016, 02:38:00 pm »
<sig>

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #246 on: December 18, 2016, 11:28:48 pm »
😐 🎶

« Reply #247 on: January 11, 2017, 12:31:07 am »
he's just a rock-n-roller, but damit if the place doesn't seem the same with out him

http://people.com/music/david-bowie-best-covers-since-death/

Interesting Prince did a cover at his last show

the instrumental cover of ?Changes? from Red Hot Chili Peppers guitarist Josh Klinghoffer ....is pretty killer

Tony Visconti says it well
http://pitchfork.com/news/70810-tony-visconti-reflects-on-a-year-without-david-bowie-in-emotional-new-message/

Of course, he never left us in spirit. We are fortunate to have lived in the same time as him. We?ve seen him, we?ve heard him sing and speak, we?ve hugged him, we?ve worshipped him and we are constantly reminded of him daily. He was a legend in his lifetime and he will be a legend until the end of time. But he was my friend too. I miss him dearly.

This pitchfork piece is very good too
http://pitchfork.com/features/afterword/9786-david-bowie/
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 12:35:24 am by sidehatch 🛠|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|🚀 »
slack

walkie,talkie

« Reply #248 on: January 11, 2017, 12:40:08 am »
 . . . The new Tupac.  Jesus.  He's putting out more Shit dead than alive.

« Reply #249 on: March 17, 2017, 10:46:25 am »
...having a special screening at Arlington Cinema Draft House 3/23
(and I just bought tickets as well)

http://backoffice.arlingtondrafthouse.com/default.aspx?page=event&eid=4330
The documentary film of the ground-breaking exhibition David Bowie is, created by the Victoria and Albert Museum, London in 2013, is being re-released in cinemas worldwide. Filmed on the closing night of the exhibition, this cinema re-release offers another opportunity to explore this international retrospective of the extraordinary career of David Bowie.

Described by The Times as stylish & outrageousand The Guardian as a triumph, the David Bowie is exhibition was the fastest selling in the V&A?s history, featuring a remarkable collection of handwritten lyrics, original costumes, fashion, photography, film, music videos, set designs, Bowie?s own instruments and album artwork from the David Bowie Archive. The film takes the audience on a fascinating journey through the exhibition with special guests including legendary Japanese fashion designer Kansai Yamamoto, Pulp front-man Jarvis Cocker, and other collaborators, to explore the stories behind some of the key objects that document Bowie?s artistic career. The exhibition curators, Victoria Broackes and Geoffrey Marsh, provide expert insight into the most memorable music videos and original costumes, as well as more personal items such as never-before-seen handwritten lyrics, album cover artwork, set designs and diary entries, which reveal the creativity and evolution of Bowie?s ideas.

Not sure why this exhibition didn't do a world wide tour last year?
slack

dyecraig

« Reply #250 on: March 17, 2017, 11:11:30 am »
^ it is touring the world.
not sure where it is now, but saw it in chicago in 2015.
omg fantastic.

dyecraig

« Reply #251 on: March 17, 2017, 11:13:44 am »
2 bowie releases for rsd look promising.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #252 on: March 17, 2017, 10:08:17 pm »
I meant to post this awhile back, but there was a great story on The Moth from the hairdresser who gave Bowie his first Ziggy Stardust haircut and later became Mick Ronson's wife.  Highly recommended!

https://themoth.org/radio-hour/leaving-loving-coming-home
T.Rex

dyecraig

« Reply #253 on: March 23, 2017, 01:02:50 pm »
bowie doc @ arlington drafthouse tonight.

K8teebug

« Reply #254 on: March 27, 2017, 02:45:47 pm »
...having a special screening at Arlington Cinema Draft House 3/23
(and I just bought tickets as well)

http://backoffice.arlingtondrafthouse.com/default.aspx?page=event&eid=4330
The documentary film of the ground-breaking exhibition David Bowie is, created by the Victoria and Albert Museum, London in 2013, is being re-released in cinemas worldwide. Filmed on the closing night of the exhibition, this cinema re-release offers another opportunity to explore this international retrospective of the extraordinary career of David Bowie.

Described by The Times as stylish & outrageousand The Guardian as a triumph, the David Bowie is exhibition was the fastest selling in the V&A?s history, featuring a remarkable collection of handwritten lyrics, original costumes, fashion, photography, film, music videos, set designs, Bowie?s own instruments and album artwork from the David Bowie Archive. The film takes the audience on a fascinating journey through the exhibition with special guests including legendary Japanese fashion designer Kansai Yamamoto, Pulp front-man Jarvis Cocker, and other collaborators, to explore the stories behind some of the key objects that document Bowie?s artistic career. The exhibition curators, Victoria Broackes and Geoffrey Marsh, provide expert insight into the most memorable music videos and original costumes, as well as more personal items such as never-before-seen handwritten lyrics, album cover artwork, set designs and diary entries, which reveal the creativity and evolution of Bowie?s ideas.

Not sure why this exhibition didn't do a world wide tour last year?

They were very selective about where that exhibit would travel. Chicago was the only US stop.