Author Topic: META: Official 930 Forum Holiday Party thread  (Read 7356 times)

hutch

Re: META: Official 930 Forum Holiday Party thread
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2014, 04:00:41 pm »
I dont get it.. its just a get together around the holidays...that's all that is meant by "holiday party"....

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2014, 04:05:07 pm »
<soapbox>Christmas IS a religious holiday.  You can choose not to celebrate it.  You can choose to celebrate some other holiday at the same time of year (even something as stupid as the made up kwanzaa), but all that aside, no matter what one's religious beliefs may be, Christmas is a religious holiday.  As a point of reference, I am not a religious person much at all.  I do not consider myself to be a member of any organized religion.  I do however realize that this time of year is especially 'holy' (whatever the right term is here) for most judeo-christian religions.   I find it rather offensive and insulting that some people make up holidays at the same time of year to all but mock them those who do hold this as their holy time.  So sad that people with an agenda bring race into this time of year.</soapbox>
Christmas, by its very existence, is an appropriation of the Roman solstice festival. Were the Christians mocking them?

Virtually all reasonable people believe a dude named Jesus from the town of Nazareth had a sociopolitical following around circa 30CE and that those followers morphed it into a religion after his death. (Whether this guy was actually God himself, or God's son, or just a good guy, or a total charlatan is something people can disagree on, but honestly, the variants in positions on that has nothing to do with this topic.) Virtually no reasonable person on Earth believes Jesus was born on December 25th, or any time in the month of December. There is, literally, not one reasonably-contemporary (to Jesus) Christian religious text that even claims as much. (In fact, virtually all evidence in the Gospel accounts points to Jesus being born sometime in autumn.) So the idea that someone else creating a "holy" day in December is insulting to Christians is just beyond inane.

One might also look to how virtually every culture looked at the time of the Winter Solstice as a hallmark time of the year (pagan solistice festivals, hannukkah, eid, Christmas, the very formation of the Julian calendar, Kwanzaa, etc) and reason that is why there is a huge number of "holy" events that sync up around this time. Its not an attack on Christmas, its a shared experience. Its as much about it being "the end of the year" (or "the end of the days with the lowest amount of sunlight") as it is anything else.

Kwanzaa is a made up mockery of any real holiday. 
In true RatBastard style, have your viewpoint unassailably obliterated for three paragraphs and selectively fashion a strawman around literally one item on a list of 6+ things as a response.

How does that mental conversation go? "Whoops, I'm getting killed in this topic, lets try to shift the entire argument to something else I might have a better chance of winning."
LVMH

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2014, 08:50:17 pm »
I'm just here for the meatballs.

vansmack

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2014, 09:02:03 pm »
At this rate, this party is going to blow.
27>34

hutch

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2014, 09:31:26 am »
Yeah I don't think this party is happening at this point....I'm not detecting a lot of excitement...

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2014, 09:43:35 am »
I'll bring . . . the cock,tails.

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2014, 12:02:23 pm »
At this rate, this party is going to blow.
As soon as I deferred on being on the planning committee, it should've been self-evident to everyone it would. One does not just ORGANIZE a Community...
LVMH

ggw

« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2014, 12:22:21 pm »
We're just pretending it's not happening so that Julian won't show up.

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2014, 12:35:22 pm »
<soapbox>Christmas IS a religious holiday.  You can choose not to celebrate it.  You can choose to celebrate some other holiday at the same time of year (even something as stupid as the made up kwanzaa), but all that aside, no matter what one's religious beliefs may be, Christmas is a religious holiday.  As a point of reference, I am not a religious person much at all.  I do not consider myself to be a member of any organized religion.  I do however realize that this time of year is especially 'holy' (whatever the right term is here) for most judeo-christian religions.   I find it rather offensive and insulting that some people make up holidays at the same time of year to all but mock them those who do hold this as their holy time.  So sad that people with an agenda bring race into this time of year.</soapbox>
Christmas, by its very existence, is an appropriation of the Roman solstice festival. Were the Christians mocking them?

Virtually all reasonable people believe a dude named Jesus from the town of Nazareth had a sociopolitical following around circa 30CE and that those followers morphed it into a religion after his death. (Whether this guy was actually God himself, or God's son, or just a good guy, or a total charlatan is something people can disagree on, but honestly, the variants in positions on that has nothing to do with this topic.) Virtually no reasonable person on Earth believes Jesus was born on December 25th, or any time in the month of December. There is, literally, not one reasonably-contemporary (to Jesus) Christian religious text that even claims as much. (In fact, virtually all evidence in the Gospel accounts points to Jesus being born sometime in autumn.) So the idea that someone else creating a "holy" day in December is insulting to Christians is just beyond inane.

One might also look to how virtually every culture looked at the time of the Winter Solstice as a hallmark time of the year (pagan solistice festivals, hannukkah, eid, Christmas, the very formation of the Julian calendar, Kwanzaa, etc) and reason that is why there is a huge number of "holy" events that sync up around this time. Its not an attack on Christmas, its a shared experience. Its as much about it being "the end of the year" (or "the end of the days with the lowest amount of sunlight") as it is anything else.

In true RatBastard style, have your viewpoint unassailably obliterated for three paragraphs and selectively fashion a strawman around literally one item on a list of 6+ things as a response.

How does that mental conversation go? "Whoops, I'm getting killed in this topic, lets try to shift the entire argument to something else I might have a better chance of winning."

You assume that I even bothered to read the mass of drivel you typed in.  The first few words set the theme of absurd irrelevance to the point that reading past that point was useless.
FUKIT

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2014, 06:55:30 pm »
Soooo...no meatballs?

« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2014, 07:30:54 pm »

You assume that I even bothered to read the mass of drivel you typed in.  The first few words set the theme of absurd irrelevance to the point that reading past that point was useless.
You didn't read it past the first few words but the part you responded to is in paragraph three.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 09:10:07 pm by Julian, Community ORGANIZER »
LVMH

hutch

« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2014, 10:38:54 pm »
RatBastard hasn't read a book in nearly 35 years... let's keep that in mind and make allowances....