Author Topic: random . . . randomness  (Read 1633314 times)

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
Re: random . . . randomness
« Reply #7155 on: February 05, 2023, 04:51:46 pm »

This looks far worse than what Hollywood can offer.

Officials tell people to stay away from Ohio town where train derailed
😐 🎶

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #7156 on: February 06, 2023, 12:43:55 am »
^ dude, who would have thought that Super 8 was a prophecy!!!
<sig>

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #7157 on: February 06, 2023, 12:50:05 am »
^ dude, who would have thought that Super 8 was a prophecy!!!

Man, wasn't even thinking about that! I'm just in awe of the pic. I've never seen a derailment look so apocalyptic. It kinda reminds me of this:

😐 🎶

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #7158 on: February 06, 2023, 01:54:11 pm »
😐 🎶

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #7159 on: February 06, 2023, 02:17:52 pm »
Culture Is Stuck

thanks for posting that, i needed a good laugh this morning!

"The first iPhone came out in 2007. The cell phone still looks like this basic design. We all still use the original iPhone, even if its called something else.

In fact, Apple basically “improves” every new model by adding another camera to the back. Much like razor companies release a new razor by adding a new blade."

yeah, try firing up an iPhone 1 and see how far you get nowadays.  it can't even run the operating system anymore due to lack of EVERYTHING (computational power, chips, hardware features, screen size, etc etc etc).  the iphone 6 can't run the latest version of iOS.  early iphones didn't have airdrop, gps, applepay, photo editing, etc... but do go on about how they're the same except for an extra camera ;D

the author's "culture is stuck" shtick only makes sense if you limit your view to what little he's thrown in his hand-picked tech salad.  for every "this hasn't changed since 2002" technology, one could counter with 10 techs that didn't exist then that we are dependent on now.  even the techs they point out have radically changed to the point that they are almost different technologies (see example above).
<sig>

Starsky

« Reply #7160 on: February 06, 2023, 02:31:16 pm »
I don’t know but seems to me article has a point….all those damn superhero and sequel/reboot movies…and everyone listening to Fleetwood Mac and old stuff…all the kids wearing their parents Def Leppard shirts (or the band shirts at Target)

Everything feels recycled

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #7161 on: February 06, 2023, 03:27:14 pm »
Culture Is Stuck

thanks for posting that, i needed a good laugh this morning!

"The first iPhone came out in 2007. The cell phone still looks like this basic design. We all still use the original iPhone, even if its called something else.

In fact, Apple basically “improves” every new model by adding another camera to the back. Much like razor companies release a new razor by adding a new blade."

yeah, try firing up an iPhone 1 and see how far you get nowadays.  it can't even run the operating system anymore due to lack of EVERYTHING (computational power, chips, hardware features, screen size, etc etc etc).  the iphone 6 can't run the latest version of iOS.  early iphones didn't have airdrop, gps, applepay, photo editing, etc... but do go on about how they're the same except for an extra camera ;D

the author's "culture is stuck" shtick only makes sense if you limit your view to what little he's thrown in his hand-picked tech salad.  for every "this hasn't changed since 2002" technology, one could counter with 10 techs that didn't exist then that we are dependent on now.  even the techs they point out have radically changed to the point that they are almost different technologies (see example above).

Moore’s Law Is Dead. Now What?

Most of today's Moore's Law stuff is invisible and quotidian, just general improvements, 4G to 5G, etc. Seemingly everyone and their dog has had a smartphone for over decade now. Year-to-year model upgrades are usually minor, occasionally useful (especially if you only upgrade every 4 years or so).
😐 🎶

Yada

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #7163 on: February 06, 2023, 10:22:10 pm »
The Italian Volkwagen IG account has a lot to think about.

https://instagram.com/volkswagenitalia

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #7164 on: February 09, 2023, 08:04:34 pm »
<sig>

« Reply #7165 on: February 09, 2023, 08:46:03 pm »
shame Canada and Australia have the US beat on this one

Is that Iceland next to Greenland?

also what are those red islands above Norway!
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #7166 on: February 09, 2023, 09:08:24 pm »

canada: just like the nordic countries, there's something about 6 months of snow and cold that bring out the doom and gloom.

australia: i got nothing... maybe it's the oppression of knowing melanoma is never more than a few minutes away?  constant fear of those super-muscly kangaroos?

Is that Iceland next to Greenland?

affirmative. 

also what are those red islands above Norway!

Svalbard is a Norwegian archipelago between mainland Norway and the North Pole. One of the world’s northernmost inhabited areas, it's known for its rugged, remote terrain of glaciers and frozen tundra sheltering polar bears, Svalbard reindeer and Arctic foxes.
<sig>

« Reply #7167 on: February 09, 2023, 09:12:35 pm »
Svalbard is a Norwegian archipelago between mainland Norway and the North Pole. One of the world’s northernmost inhabited areas, it's known for its rugged, remote terrain of glaciers and frozen tundra sheltering polar bears, Svalbard reindeer and Arctic foxes.
you forgot, and abnormaly high number of metal bands per capita

canada: just like the nordic countries, there's something about 6 months of snow and cold that bring out the doom and gloom.
I'm sorry to tell you this, but when I think canada, I don't think Metal.  I know Rush is from there, but as is Nickelback.  So I'm very skeptical of them
« Last Edit: February 09, 2023, 09:14:31 pm by Sidehaaatch ıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llıl »
slack

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #7168 on: February 09, 2023, 10:05:32 pm »
What? No love for Triumph?
😐 🎶

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #7169 on: February 10, 2023, 12:26:56 am »
you forgot, and abnormaly high number of metal bands per capita

since it's part of norway, where death metal reigns supreme, i think Svalbard gets lumped in with the rest of the country.  no idea if it keeps pace with the southern part of norway in terms of metal band output.

I'm sorry to tell you this, but when I think canada, I don't think Metal.  I know Rush is from there, but as is Nickelback.  So I'm very skeptical of them

in high school i was in with the skater/punk/music scene.  seems like everyone was in a band.  most popular styles were rock/blues and attempts at grunge/"alternative", but there certainly were a few metal band banging away in garages... so it makes me wonder what the criteria was for that map.  does the band need a contract with a major label?  must have sold X number of album? or is more "do they self-identify as a metal band, even if their peak was playing to 14 people in a community center"?

for your consideration, a partial list of canadian metal bands that you might have heard of:
- Anvil
- Helix
- Kick Axe
- Killer Dwarfs
- Priestess
- Steppenwolf (partially canuck)

and a band you probably haven't heard of, but should: Raggadeath, which "fused heavy metal with dancehall reggae-style rhythms and vocals."  some of their stuff sounded like RATM.
<sig>