Author Topic: Feelies tomorrow Saturday night  (Read 6427 times)

hutch

Feelies tomorrow Saturday night
« on: December 05, 2014, 06:43:25 pm »
Looks likely I'll have a free ticket if anyone wants one (its on the list up there so I can't email it or anything)... its at the Ottobar and I'll be driving up there...

hutch

Re: Feelies tomorrow Saturday night
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2014, 06:57:30 pm »
sorry ticket is now gone.

bearman🐻

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2014, 09:14:53 pm »
how was the show? Very bummed I wasn't able to make this one.

Here's the thing

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2014, 09:25:15 pm »
Me, too. I enjoyed Lampchop with Yo La Tengo, but was missing the Feelies on Friday night.

analogfossa

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2014, 09:48:06 pm »
Me, too. I enjoyed Lampchop with Yo La Tengo, but was missing the Feelies on Friday night.

First-time Lambchop attendant here. Any idea what songs they played so I can look those songs up? I rather liked them! The only one i caught was The Butcher Boy.

hutch

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2014, 10:59:28 pm »
show was unbelievable... typical feelies show these days.. kind of slow mellow start...i think we walked in during the second song which was VU's "Who loves the sun"...second set was a barnburner.. .just a ton of highs and it didn't let up... a lot of stuff from The Good Earth..... then they did about five encores.... mainly covers ...finished with the Stooges Real Good Time (I think that's the name of it)...

these guys are just unbelievably good live... maybe they've always been but I only saw them last year in March for the first time...

my friend hadn't seen them in a real long time and he could not beleive how good they were ..of course he's a VU maniac and well, if you like post Cale VU you're going to love these guys...he yelled out for Sweet Jane (I'm like WTF? That would not work) and they burst into ROck and Roll! I'm a huge Luna fan and you really can hear the influence of Glenn Mercer's guitar on Dean.... meanwhile Million's rhythm work is a dead ringer for VU (was it Sterling Morrison that played most of the rhythm on the VU?)

anyways, we loved it... i haven't seen that many shows this year but this is probably the one I enjoyed the most... they played close to three hours and threw everything in but the kitchen sink.... so much fun....

I hope they play the 930 next year....

Vas Deferens

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2014, 12:10:31 am »
The last Lambchop song was a David Bowie cover (Young Americans). They were unbelievably great!
I'm not  familiar with most of their stuff..think I only have the Nixon album.
YLT were good. I think we got two or three rare songs but really wish they did three short songs instead of that 20 min.
Hatchet song. Really didn't wanna hear that again...
(_|_)

bearman🐻

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2014, 10:19:28 am »
show was unbelievable... typical feelies show these days.. kind of slow mellow start...i think we walked in during the second song which was VU's "Who loves the sun"...second set was a barnburner.. .just a ton of highs and it didn't let up... a lot of stuff from The Good Earth..... then they did about five encores.... mainly covers ...finished with the Stooges Real Good Time (I think that's the name of it)...

these guys are just unbelievably good live... maybe they've always been but I only saw them last year in March for the first time...

my friend hadn't seen them in a real long time and he could not beleive how good they were ..of course he's a VU maniac and well, if you like post Cale VU you're going to love these guys...he yelled out for Sweet Jane (I'm like WTF? That would not work) and they burst into ROck and Roll! I'm a huge Luna fan and you really can hear the influence of Glenn Mercer's guitar on Dean.... meanwhile Million's rhythm work is a dead ringer for VU (was it Sterling Morrison that played most of the rhythm on the VU?)

anyways, we loved it... i haven't seen that many shows this year but this is probably the one I enjoyed the most... they played close to three hours and threw everything in but the kitchen sink.... so much fun....

I hope they play the 930 next year....

I'm going to sound like an old fart here, but in my opinion the Feelies are probably the best live band around. The double sets they do are pretty much perfect. I've seen them about 8 or 9 times now and every single time I see them they're better than the previous time. I saw them in Pawtucket earlier this year, and I actually shot a little video...something I'm reticent to do, but I had to. But Stan Demeski's drumming on "Away" coupled with Dave Weckerman's percussion is the stuff of genius. The Feelies are the last legit link IMO to bands like the Velvet Underground. To see them is to really get a glimpse of an era that will never exist again. Thanks for the report. It makes me really happy that other people enjoy them as much as I do because I think they deserve more acknowledgment for being a powerhouse live band. They are positively masterful.

hutch

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2014, 01:57:23 pm »

I'm going to sound like an old fart here, but in my opinion the Feelies are probably the best live band around. The double sets they do are pretty much perfect. I've seen them about 8 or 9 times now and every single time I see them they're better than the previous time. I saw them in Pawtucket earlier this year, and I actually shot a little video...something I'm reticent to do, but I had to. But Stan Demeski's drumming on "Away" coupled with Dave Weckerman's percussion is the stuff of genius. The Feelies are the last legit link IMO to bands like the Velvet Underground. To see them is to really get a glimpse of an era that will never exist again. Thanks for the report. It makes me really happy that other people enjoy them as much as I do because I think they deserve more acknowledgment for being a powerhouse live band. They are positively masterful.

I agree 100%. It is also interesting to consider that the Feelies were playing CBGBs in 1977! We can argue about the band being a second incarnation since 1986 or so but Mercer/Million have always been the songwriters and main focus.... How many other bands that were playing CBGBs in 1977 are still playing much less better than ever?

bearman🐻

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2014, 02:25:20 pm »

I agree 100%. It is also interesting to consider that the Feelies were playing CBGBs in 1977! We can argue about the band being a second incarnation since 1986 or so but Mercer/Million have always been the songwriters and main focus.... How many other bands that were playing CBGBs in 1977 are still playing much less better than ever?

The current lineup has actually been active since 1984...but "The Good Earth" wasn't released as a Feelies release until 1986. That being said, I'm so very glad they're around...Feelies concerts are special events. Everyone should see them at least once. A ton of indie bands can thank them for their influence...everyone from Yo La Tengo to early REM to Luna to the Shins. Pretty much any nerdy band where people wear glasses and cardigan sweaters.

Bagley

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2014, 02:52:21 pm »
everyone from Yo La Tengo to early REM to Luna to the Shins. Pretty much any nerdy band where people wear glasses and cardigan sweaters.
[/quote]

....and mumble their lyrics

Long live the Feelies!

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2014, 07:27:27 pm »

😐 🎶

ggw

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2014, 10:49:15 am »
Count me in on the Feelies bandwagon.  Love their selection of covers - Carnival of Sorts (REM); Dancing Barefoot (Patti Smith); Seven Days (Dylan); Egyptian Reggae (Jonathan Richman); Rocks Off (Stones); Barstool Blues (Neil).

I saw them way back in the day at Hampden Sydney and agree with his hutchness that they are even better now.  The last album holds up against Crazy Rhythms and the Good Earth. 

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2014, 02:26:14 pm »
and agree with his hutchness
I have nothing to add
slack

hutch

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2014, 02:35:54 pm »
"Seven Days" was great!

I love the last album myself...