Author Topic: albums that are brilliant, but at one time were just nor  (Read 1278 times)

walkonby

albums that are brilliant, but at one time were just nor
« on: July 03, 2008, 04:50:00 pm »
wow, a thread from me about music, of all things.

i was listening to an album of mine, from an artist that i have every album they released. before i listened to this album this time around, it was just a nice album of good songs, and also some really good ones to make a solid release.  now, it seems to be a different tale of a "mini-masterpiece"?  after 'purple rain,' what was prince to do? 'around the world in a day' was an "odd experiment of a musical one eighty" i thought, but still a great album of well written songs.  can't remember if 'under the cherry moon' is in there next or not, but then 'sign o' the times' comes.  double disk, each song perfectly slicing into the next, produced with style and dripping with sensual desires, background horns, singers, bass line never stoppping.  it was just an disk collecting dust in my collection before.  

maybe i'm really crazy, but its how i feel.  now i will go back and choose another artist at random, listen to every album i have, and see which one re-issues itself as my new god.

anyone else want to try?  now i do not mean just randomly listing a bunch of albums you feel are "awesome dude."  i mean you sit down, now if you want, pick an artist.  listen to what you have they put out, in order of year released, and pick the one that is, "wait a minute; when did that album sound so incredible?" then leave an overly detailed explanation of why it is so good.

Frank Gallagher

Re: albums that are brilliant, but at one time were just nor
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 05:42:00 pm »
I used to like you.....until you started posting shit music related!!

;)

But to answer your question. I bought UB40 "Signing Off" when it came out back in 1767 or whenever it was. It was okay and I didn't regret shelling hard earned dough for it but it didn't wow me.

Fast forward 241+- years when I was unpacking my cd's when we moved to FL. I played it and was totally blown away by the quality of it, especially the lyrics....I always enjoyed UB40 but got used to listening to all their covers. I wonder if they ever realized that their original material is far superior than any of the covers they did, even though not as commercially succesful.

"Tyler" and "1 in 10" are both just genius.

(imho of course)

OscarTheWilde

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 10:39:00 pm »
I can cite an example both ways:

Album I once thought was just OK, now it blows me away:  Caravan- In the Land of Grey and Pink

Band I once thought were demi-Gods, now they're just OK:  Lush

Mobius

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2008, 04:00:00 am »
Miles Davis - Jack Johnson.    When I first listened to it i considered it as an ok inessential post-Bitches Brew effort - but its incredible and has become one of my favorites, period.

MBV Isn't Anything -  I think its reputation as accessible is misleading, at least for me, because i found it on the surface to be alright, but dated and rendered moot by you know who -  but after recently revisiting it i was surprised how it came alive - esp from about track 6 on.

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2008, 04:44:00 am »
Originally posted by OscarTheWilde:
  Album I once thought was just OK, now it blows me away:  Caravan- In the Land of Grey and Pink
I love this album! So glad to see another Caravan fan here.

Finally just bought this CD maybe 6 months ago and even had a song, "Golf Girl", uploaded to Air Atlantic Underground Radio for awhile until I removed it to make room for more music. Maybe I'll reupload it soon. Actually, I've been holding out for a copy of something extra afforable with the song "Magic Man" just because I'm not able to listen to/convert all my vinyl anymore without a major investment in a new sound system. Too many other priorities on my wish list first.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008, 10:53:00 am »
13 Engines - Conquistador (1995)

Every time I pull this out of the collection it blows me away.  There a hint of twang and pedal steel guitar in some of the songs.  Couldn't be as alt-country wasn't invented yet.  Couple that with a guitar sound so heavy it would make Billy Corgan cry like a  little baby.
T.Rex