Author Topic: Ravens  (Read 19675 times)

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
Re: Ravens
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2015, 11:43:50 am »
If you're gonna pick a favorite NFL team based on lack of criminal records of the players then you're in the wrong league.  How many Ray Rice-type incidents do you think have occurred league-wide?  Only one was captured on video. 
I think its the height of ridiculousness to "hate" Tom Brady for - what? - being a fine, upstanding successful citizen, and then turning around and cheering for one of the most murder and wife-beating condoning organizations in the history of sport.

I'm not saying "go out and pick your team affiliation by criminal record." I'm not saying that at all. I get cheering for your hometown team even when they sign an asshole. Hey, I do that. What I am saying is don't be the team of Ray Lewis, Ray Rice, and Terrell Suggs and then tell me all about how big bad Tom Brady is the hate-able person in the equation.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 11:46:33 am by Julian, Community ORGANIZER »
LVMH

Yada

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2015, 11:46:18 am »
Quote from: Julian, Community ORGANIZER link=topic=23955.msg399643#msg399643   
[/quote
  Hey, I do that. 

How about them Richmond Raiders?

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2015, 11:50:07 am »
home·town noun, often attributive \-ˈtau̇n\
: the city or town where you were born or grew up
LVMH

shemptiness

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2015, 11:50:38 am »
Hey, I hate Peyton Manning too.  And he's even nicer than Brady.

Got Haggis?

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2015, 11:50:58 am »

nothing beats this

ggw

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2015, 11:51:10 am »
Obligatory pic of Brady's wife:

Yada

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2015, 11:52:20 am »

Actually, now that I think about it. I kind of hate the Dallas Cowboys for no good reason and I'm still pretty pissed about that Detroit loss. All we need is a Ravens vs. Cowboys superbowl.

shemptiness

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2015, 11:53:29 am »
nothing beats this

Well of course he's a Yankee fan.  If he didn't play for the Pats he'd probably be a Cowboy fan as well.

shemptiness

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2015, 11:54:48 am »

Right.  That's why I was a Baltimore Colts fan.  The only reason I'm a Ravens fan is Bob Irsay.

K8teebug

« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2015, 01:31:37 pm »
If you're gonna pick a favorite NFL team based on lack of criminal records of the players then you're in the wrong league.  How many Ray Rice-type incidents do you think have occurred league-wide?  Only one was captured on video. 

I'm this close **holds index finger very close to thumb** to abandoning the NFL due to the savages that are employed by the league.  The only reason I have an interest at this point as it's not hard to keep up with what's going on. One game a week, short season, etc. If it was like any other major sport, it would've left my interests long ago.

I abandoned it for the following reasons:

1. Absolutely NO SECURITY for the Superbowl celebration at the stadium. I was in the front row, and the aisles completely filled. I was one punch away from getting trampled to death. It was really scary.

2. The NFL does not pay taxes. Read "how the NFL fleeces taxpayers" in the Atlantic.

3. The concussion, health insurance for older players, the domestic violence (yes, I know the MLB has some work to do there too).

4. The whole referee stuff from 2 years ago. JUST PAY THEM. YOU HAVE BILLIONS OF DOLLARS.

5. Blocking home towns from watching their teams if they don't sell enough tickets to the games.

So yeah...then the Ray Rice thing just sealed the deal for me. Been over it for a while. Don't miss watching it AT ALL.

Still hate Tom Brady though :)

K8teebug

« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2015, 01:32:03 pm »
I also grew up without football after the Colts left, so there's that too...

« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2015, 01:46:06 pm »
2. The NFL does not pay taxes. Read "how the NFL fleeces taxpayers" in the Atlantic.
This is such a non-starter. You know who else doesn't pay taxes? Your local Chamber of Commerce, the United Auto Workers, and the Better Business Bureau. You know who does pay taxes? The Baltimore Ravens and every other NFL team.

I find the NFL completely ridiculous to the point where I literally have only even seen 1 of the last 4 Super Bowls and consider it to be one half-step above the terribleness of soccer, but come on, the "no taxes" thing is both intentionally misleading/inflammatory and perfectly reasonable.
LVMH

Yada

« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2015, 02:42:51 pm »
I agree with all of K8's points above except the concussion stuff. What are you expecting playing a sport where you get clobbered by a 300lb giant on a daily basis? I have no remorse for those guys.

Is my employer going to cover my terrible eyesight and shitty back for sitting on my ass for 30 years? I think not.

K8teebug

« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2015, 03:09:30 pm »
Have you watched the Frontline about the "concussion stuff"?

Watch that and then say you're not with me.

K8teebug