Author Topic: Coachella 2015  (Read 5012 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Coachella 2015
« on: January 06, 2015, 03:20:28 pm »
nevermind, conversation is over here: http://forum.930.com/index.php?topic=6819.0

supposedly this year's lineup has dropped: http://pitchfork.com/news/57966-coachella-2015-lineup-announced/

headliners: AC/DC, Jack White, and Drake.  notables, for me: Ride, Belle & Sebastian, Drive Like Jehu... uh, that's about it really. 

it's a fun festival, beautiful setting, etc so i would still consider going, but this lineup would not get me on a plane. 
<sig>

bearman🐻

Re: Coachella 2015
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2015, 05:31:48 pm »
Probably the weakest lineup...ever? Not into this one at all.

Julian, White Poet WARLORD

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2015, 05:38:48 pm »
Yeah, similar thought here. As always, there are __some__ great bands on there (the three Sweets pointed out) but none of those headliners do it for me. Much less second-line depth compared to usual.
LVMH

bearman🐻

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 06:05:12 pm »
Yeah, similar thought here. As always, there are __some__ great bands on there (the three Sweets pointed out) but none of those headliners do it for me. Much less second-line depth compared to usual.

Agreed. Obviously some things I'd want to see...but the overall quality has slipped a few notches this year. Shocking how much so. From what I've been seeing on social media, we aren't the only ones disappointed. In fact, I was surprised to see how much anti-Coachella sentiment is out there since there are definitely loyalists. Maybe it's just evolving into where music is headed as opposed to where it has been...but Steely Dan and AC/DC kind of negate that argument. And sorry, but I always think of Drake and the kid from the next generation of Degrassi. Odd to see him as a headliner.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2015, 06:10:18 pm »
i'm wondering if coachella knows that people are going to come no matter what and that it's going to sell out regardless of the acts... so why bother too much?  get a couple of Big Names to ensure it captures the media's attention, and you're done.  then you just need to pad the bill with some no-names that are just happy to play.
<sig>

bearman🐻

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2015, 06:18:47 pm »
i'm wondering if coachella knows that people are going to come no matter what and that it's going to sell out regardless of the acts... so why bother too much?  get a couple of Big Names to ensure it captures the media's attention, and you're done.  then you just need to pad the bill with some no-names that are just happy to play.

That approach will bite them on the ass. If you don't deliver the goods, people will find other things to do with their valuable time, money, and energy. It'll end up being replaced by something else that people actually get excited about. So far, there's not a lot of excitement over this one.

blipvurt

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2015, 12:02:08 am »
I disagree with most of you on this. I still think Coachella puts the most effort/consideration into their line-up than almost every other major US festival. I always look at it as several festivals within one festival and every year that I have gone or stayed home, they've offered enough bands to put together a great weekend full of music that appeals to me while simultaneously offering a ton of stuff I could care less about but provides a fantastic weekend for other people there. I have solid core line-ups each day and look forward to going this year.

Ride and Swans have been two of my Coachella wishlist bands forever. Seeing them out in the desert is going to perfect for very different reasons from each other.

Some others that I'm looking forward to: Squarepusher, Brant Bjork's Kyuss spin-off, Bad Religion, Off!, AC/DC, Jack White (will really rise to the occasion on Saturday night), St. Vincent, Run The Jewels, Sloan, The Cribs. Built to Spill, Radkey...

May not be their very best but it's still way tastier than my everage weekend of music and better than anything Firefly has yet offered.

betao

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2015, 10:28:50 am »
Is it better than what most other festivals in the US will put out this year? Yes.

Does it have a few gems to brag about? Yes.

Is it also their worst lineup yet filled mostly with acts that tour relentlessly & an abomination of electronic acts? Yes.

I went from 08 to 11. Everything after that was pretty good, just not quite enough to make me fly across the country for. But this is the first time that I probably wouldn't go even if I lived in LA.

Yada

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2015, 11:17:39 am »
The problem with Coachella is that it turned into a scene vs. being out music. A bunch of bros and wearing glow bracelets and necklaces and MDMA fueled Hollywood hot chicks.

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2015, 11:18:01 am »
Is it better than what most other festivals in the US will put out this year? Yes.

Does it have a few gems to brag about? Yes.

Is it also their worst lineup yet filled mostly with acts that tour relentlessly & an abomination of electronic acts? Yes.
Well put.
LVMH

Vas Deferens

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2015, 11:21:22 am »
Ride is likely gonna have other club dates.

Swans you can see them for the nth time play a longer set in a club.

Majority of people only go to be seen, rather than to see bands. I read that it was depressing to see The Replacements play to less than 1000 people last year. Ride will probably play to less than that.
(_|_)

Yada

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2015, 11:22:45 am »
Ride is likely gonna have other club dates.

Swans you can see them for the nth time play a longer set in a club.

Majority of people only go to be seen, rather than to see bands. I read that it was depressing to see The Replacements play to less than 1000 people last year. Ride will probably play to less than that.

what he said.

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2015, 11:53:40 am »
I love Steely Dan, but they totally suck live now, and that's their shows in THEATERS. I can't imagine how bad that will translate to a massive festival show. Their songs are played at an adult contemporary pace now that make Jeff Tweedy's dad rock era seem cutting edge.

Listening to today's versions of Boston Rag, Show Biz Kids and My Old School are almost insulting compared to their 70s prime. Not that I expect bands to be at their prime forever, but when massive amounts of money are involved, different story.

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2015, 12:04:46 pm »
I love Steely Dan, but they totally suck live now, and that's their shows in THEATERS. I can't imagine how bad that will translate to a massive festival show. Their songs are played at an adult contemporary pace now that make Jeff Tweedy's dad rock era seem cutting edge.

Listening to today's versions of Boston Rag, Show Biz Kids and My Old School are almost insulting compared to their 70s prime. Not that I expect bands to be at their prime forever, but when massive amounts of money are involved, different story.
I desperately want killsaly and Hutch to argue about Steely Dan for 80 posts or so now.
LVMH

Rogue Riderhood

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2015, 12:11:51 pm »
Why would I argue about Steely Dan?  I have no opinion on Steely Dan that I would want to discuss.