Author Topic: Official 930 Club Belle and Sebastian Echostage June 11 Show  (Read 52804 times)

azaghal1981

احمد

vansmack

Re: Official 930 Club Belle and Sebastian Echostage June 11 Show
« Reply #136 on: June 11, 2015, 12:54:52 pm »
Lord Anthony > Piazza.  Just my 2 cents. Especially in concert.

They played both in SF.  And it was the acoustic version of Piazza while he was walking in the crowd.

And this one:

Women's Realm

Gauntlet thrown....
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 12:57:44 pm by vansmack »
27>34

bearman🐻

« Reply #137 on: June 11, 2015, 02:54:41 pm »
They've resurrected "I'm Waking Up to Us" and "Jonathan David". Nice.

« Reply #138 on: June 11, 2015, 05:22:35 pm »
So got a free tix if anyone wants to go
slack

bearman🐻

« Reply #139 on: June 11, 2015, 05:51:25 pm »

vansmack

« Reply #140 on: June 11, 2015, 07:24:19 pm »
So got a free tix if anyone wants to go

Actually, I would love it!

This is why this board is awesome.  Bearman's in my top 3 people to go see B&S with....
27>34

bearman🐻

« Reply #141 on: June 11, 2015, 11:38:02 pm »
Thanks Smackie!

Alright, I'll be the first to chime in.

1) Echostage was INFINITELY more bearable than the Replacements show. Great sound, fewer people and lots more space...but still felt like a pretty full show.

2) The setlist...wow. Other than 1 weak song in the encore and the wrong song to end the show with (that honor should have gone to "Judy and the Dream of Horses"), I'd say it was pretty friggin' awesome.

3) The band really seemed to enjoy themselves. Stuart was funnier and more charming than he's been in a while. I'd say this ranked as the best show I've seen since the Hollywood Bowl in 2006.

Highlights: "Expectations", "I'm Waking Up To Us", "Fox in the Snow" (where even all the chatty Cathys in my area finally shut up and realized that they were witnessing something really special), "My Wandering Days Are Over", "Electronic Renaissance", "Jonathan David", "Dog on Wheels"...and even the newer songs fit in well for some nice variety. I'm so very, very happy and I'm glad that my work schedule allowed me to see this. I would have been so disappointed if I saw that setlist and I hadn't been there.

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #142 on: June 12, 2015, 12:10:35 am »
^^^ Nice review, obviously you are a true fan.

Is there anyone cooler in the world than Stuart? Quite simply one of the most brilliant minds and likable people in music. He's always engaging and always in a great mood. It must be hard to do that EVERY SINGLE NIGHT because it is difficult for me to act like that at ALL. Plus he still writes amazing pop songs. Stuart, and the band, have a lot left in the tank. Stuart seems to like DC, he always makes heartfelt observations about the District.

Band was in great form. I disagree with the criticism of Dear Catastrophe Waitress at the end, I was impressed with how well they played it. It seems like a very difficult song to play and they rarely perform it. Setlist was great overall, the band still comes up with surprises, even if you have seen them live a few times. Their setlists are always varied and diverse. I also noticed they played a lot of old stuff for you whiners at the expense of Write About Love, which I love and didn't have any songs played.

I forget how great and underrated the Life Pursuit songs are. Blues are Still Blue is an all time classic live, they should play it more often. Videos on the high-def screen behind the band were a nice touch too, and a little outside the box for B&S, who usually goes with the more staid backdrops at shows, which are fine too.

Oh and Echostage: Get some god damn A/C. Jesus. It was pretty warm in there early on, I'd hate to see how hot the place gets packed with people dancing their asses off and drinking and taking substances. Plus bottled water was $5. Either get A/C or drop the cost of water.

Place has good views and aesthetics, and I thought the sound was great, but the location stinks. I'd trade venue appearance and cleanliness for better location near Metro and dumpier building. Now does Seth own Echostage, or how does that work? I saw a co-owner mentioned in the "Molly death" the other night.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 12:21:27 am by Thousand Made-Up Loves »

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #143 on: June 12, 2015, 12:18:28 am »
best show I've seen since the Hollywood Bowl in 2006.

Was that the show with both the Shins and LA Philharmonic? Oh man, I was huge into the Shins at the time, would have been Greatest Show Ever (TM) for me. Plus the orchestra, what could be better?

bearman🐻

« Reply #144 on: June 12, 2015, 12:23:00 am »
Apparently if you didn't like the setlist I'm partially to blame...through the magic of social media I threw some requests to Stevie, and he showed the list to Stuart...among them were "I'm Waking Up to Us", "Electronic Renaissance" and "Jonathan David". I should have asked for "I Love My Car"...but there's NO way that'll ever get played live. Too many horns. And thanks for saying I'm a true fan...they're one of my all-time favorites. Don't get me wrong, I love "Dear Catastrophe Waitress", I think I'm just used to seeing them end with something like "Sleep the Clock Around", "Judy" or "Get Me Away From Here I'm Dying" (which I'm sorta over).

bearman🐻

« Reply #145 on: June 12, 2015, 12:28:53 am »
best show I've seen since the Hollywood Bowl in 2006.

Was that the show with both the Shins and LA Philharmonic? Oh man, I was huge into the Shins at the time, would have been Greatest Show Ever (TM) for me. Plus the orchestra, what could be better?

That was the one. There's no way I can forget that show. They opened with "Fuck This Shit", then Stuart walked out and started singing "I Fought In A War". When the orchestra started playing I just couldn't believe it. The sound in that place was flawless. The audience stayed seated for most of the show until they played "I'm a Cuckoo". During "Your Cover's Blown" Stuart ran into the audience, and after that it was a free-for-all. People came running down from the nosebleed seats and people were dancing everywhere. It started off like a classical performance and turned into a full-on dance party. And the Shins were good too. Uneven at first, but by the end they really were great. B&S sold out the Bowl.

bearman🐻

« Reply #146 on: June 12, 2015, 12:36:40 am »
And most of all, thank you Sidehatch for the ticket...so good to meet you and your friends. I hope you had as much fun as I did.

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #147 on: June 12, 2015, 01:17:05 am »
I should have asked for "I Love My Car"...but there's NO way that'll ever get played live. Too many horns.

I want to hear that most as well. There is a youtube video of them playing in Singapore recently. They can do it, I just want to see it myself. I know they like upbeat shows, but it would be nuts to hear them play Beautiful or Put the Book Back on the Shelf.

lily1

« Reply #148 on: June 12, 2015, 08:30:43 am »
In a strange train of events, I was able to go and see them for the first time.  Oddly, every time they've been in DC prior I haven't been able to go.

They did not disappoint at all. Fantastic show.

And the sound was pristine. I was concerned it would bounce around that space too much considering the design.

(Thanks Bearman! And Sidehatch lovely to meet you!)

« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 09:47:45 am by lily1 »

Vas Deferens

« Reply #149 on: June 12, 2015, 09:17:01 am »
I'm looking at the written setlist and Stuart made the right decision to choose "Expectations" (over "Another Sunny Day") and "I'm Waking Up To Us" (over "Allie" and Sukie in the Graveyard")  ;D

Me and the Major was also on the setlist as the other choice for the set opener but they ended up playing Judy instead. I wish they had settled for Me and the Major but oh well.

Great and highly enjoyable show. DC got the better crowd and dancers than the NYC show the night before. Echostage is fine if you get there early and you're in first 5 rows. Otherwise, forget it.
(_|_)