Author Topic: d.c. record fair  (Read 12854 times)

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
Re: d.c. record fair
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2015, 12:04:20 pm »
I will take any non-autographed ones Hutch doesn't want and I do live in Richmond.
LVMH

hutch

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2015, 12:06:20 pm »
Thanks RatBastard.. its been on my mind to start a thread for giving away/trading stuff one doesn't need...

Yada

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2015, 12:08:21 pm »
first my thoughts on the record fair:

as has been the case with pretty much every record fair since the first one six years ago its too crowded... you can hardly have space to pull out a record and see condition and condition is everything! worse yet, at penn social you don't have enough light to really see condition of record! kind of like selling you a car without letting you take it for a drive....full of people there, mainly chicks, who just flip through records really really slowly and go "ha ha ha Men at Work!!!!" to the guy she's with and never buy anything...the other variant is the chick who wants to flirt with the record vendor by having conversations about every record making the record geek feel like a million bucks as he throws factoids about the record out ("crazy Philly accents on this one!").. then you got the guys with giant backpacks who jostle around as if they don't have backpacks while bashing into people...this time there was even a handicapped guy on a huge motorized scooter or whatever you call it (thats dedication)....personally i find the record fair is pretty hard work! its only my love of records and the scores that keeps me coming back..but i always end up with a few that don't play very well..gggrrrr

because of these factors i've learned over the years to try to keep the price of records i buy to a very low number... since you can't really, with rare exceptions, be entirely sure about condition of the record (and you cant well return them) its best to not spend too much on any one record....

from the vendor perspective the fair is a goldmine... a lot of the records kids will buy are $1 records you wouldn't be able to get rid off anywhere else...vendors are typically overcharging (the opposite of what record fairs used to be) and cleaning house on the clueless....

having said all that anything that gets a younger generation interested in vinyl is fine with me...just hope the kids actually have turntables to play their buys on....

and there is always the vendor with the deals.... usually someone from richmond it seems...

Hutch I have a small stack of LPs here 20-30 maybe), nothing even close to valuable though.  There may be a couple of autographed one.  I'm thinking like Arlo Guthrie and John Prine.  Many of them though may be marked with my initial in black marked on the sleeve and/or disc label.  If you want them as trade bait, kindling, whatever you are more than welcome to them.

i'd love any autographed ones..i don't live in richmond though....

You should dig up that gem of a thread about traffic around Richmond to help in planning your travels to and fro.

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2015, 12:57:57 pm »
hella crowded, but still a good time.
those folks juggling the bloody mary's over the records make me nervous.

Yikes.  I've wanted to hit up a record fair but nobody I talk to seems to love them (too crowded, too pricey, blah, blah, blah).  Shame.  Seems like fun.

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2015, 01:59:49 pm »
Not a problem.  Some how some day I'll get them to you.
FUKIT

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2015, 07:11:00 pm »
Another winter edition of the record fair is scheduled for Jan 31st at Penn Social and I will one of the Guest DJ's this time, planning on spinning all 7 inches records at some point during the day.   Getting a hold of some of favorite tracks on vinyl, including some tasty 45s from Australia.  Maybe, I'll see some of you there!
T.Rex

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2015, 07:42:23 pm »
Another winter edition of the record fair is scheduled for Jan 31st at Penn Social and I will one of the Guest DJ's this time, planning on spinning all 7 inches records at some point during the day.   Getting a hold of some of favorite tracks on vinyl, including some tasty 45s from Australia.  Maybe, I'll see some of you there!
I'll, hold out, and just read, your playlist thread.
LVMH

hutch

« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2015, 07:49:41 pm »
allright! new record fair!

dyecraig

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2015, 09:17:50 pm »
still working through my rsd black friday stuff (and more after saying i was going to cool it for a while), but i'll be there to hear you spin.
who else is DJing?
kid congo did a killer set last time i was there.

hutch

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2015, 10:36:13 pm »
btw for record buyers...... cd cellar is moving and consolidating.. they are moving the falls church location to right by the state theatre (and closing the Arlington location)... sometime in January...

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2015, 09:22:08 am »
btw for record buyers...... cd cellar is moving and consolidating.. they are moving the falls church location to right by the state theatre (and closing the Arlington location)... sometime in January...
damn. i knew about the FC store moving but not the other one closing

do you knew when FC is closing its current spot and reopening by the state theatre?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 09:24:11 am by gaaaaaaaaah »

hutch

« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2015, 10:18:45 am »
damn. i knew about the FC store moving but not the other one closing

do you knew when FC is closing its current spot and reopening by the state theatre?

its all a bit vague but I think they will close at the end of the year in FC and try to reopen as quickly as possible in their new location (JAN)

the Arlington store I think will be open til jan 15 and they had not-as of last week- made its closing public other than they were telling the regulars I guess...

it may be a win win to have one bigger store with all the vinyl.. but I always found there to be real differences in character between the two stores and I kind of dug that... the Arlington store had more of a younger/hipper vibe than the FC one...

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2015, 10:46:02 am »

it may be a win win to have one bigger store with all the vinyl.. but I always found there to be real differences in character between the two stores and I kind of dug that... the Arlington store had more of a younger/hipper vibe than the FC one...
yeah i noticed that too. FC fit my tastes more but i got some great stuff at clarendon over the years. i didnt get to clarendon anywhere near as often (maybe 2/3 times a year as opposed to at least once a month in FC) cuz it wasnt as convenient for me but i always left glad i made the trip. i do like the idea of everything in one place though. better parking will be great too

ive been going to cd cellar (including the long gone leesburg location) for about 13 years so its gonna be weird going to a new spot

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2016, 08:31:15 pm »
T.Rex

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2016, 08:17:59 pm »
Despite a couple technical glitches, the DJ set was fun to do at the show today.  Got to say hi to Dyecraig and did a little digging through the crates.  Picked up a Alex Clinton EP, Syl Johnson album and some Stax, Motown and Windan 7"s.

also, i must have been something right, someone wanted to buy one of the singles I played...
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 08:21:42 pm by kosmo vinyl »
T.Rex