Author Topic: d.c. record fair  (Read 12852 times)

dyecraig

d.c. record fair
« on: January 24, 2015, 11:04:18 pm »

anyone going?  need some tunes for upcoming snow day(s).

hutch

Re: d.c. record fair
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 11:49:49 am »
well i ain't making the early bird special..thats for sure...

i'd like to make it...we shall see

off to a very slow start...

please report on your finds!

dyecraig

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 08:16:33 pm »
hella crowded, but still a good time.
those folks juggling the bloody mary's over the records make me nervous.

picked up:
culture - two 7's clash (joe gibbs pressing)
karthala 72 - diable du feu! ("super tough psychedelic afro-noir grooves from the unknown")
joe strummer - nefertiti rock! (rare and unreleased from belgium)
lee morgan - live at the lighthouse (wore out roommate's copy in college)
fugazi - the argument (overheard evens possibly recording 4th presently)
gbv - alien lanes
simon & garfunkel - bookends (on 4 track reel to reel - have an old working akai and some sly, sinatra and classical trumpet tapes that sound incredible)
an excellent cup of Zeke's coffee on my way out
and a copy of the poster (very cool)

spotted, nice to look at, way outta my league:
miles - kind of blue (mono promo white label - $100)
chet - baker sings ($50)
v.u. - banana ($125)

always on the lookout for:
chet - let's get lost ost
any original fela's

hutch

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 08:54:49 pm »

joe strummer - nefertiti rock! (rare and unreleased from belgium)

is this a live album?

hutch

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 08:55:30 pm »

lee morgan - live at the lighthouse (wore out roommate's copy in college)

i have this...great album....

hutch

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2015, 08:56:16 pm »

fugazi - the argument

was this new or used?

i need to get this...

hutch

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2015, 08:57:38 pm »

gbv - alien lanes

my favorite gbv album.. i have the original release (no barcode) signed by the classic GBV iteration (Bob, Demos, Sprout, Mitchell and Fennell)... one of my more treasured possessions

hutch

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2015, 08:59:20 pm »

simon & garfunkel - bookends (on 4 track reel to reel - have an old working akai and some sly, sinatra and classical trumpet tapes that sound incredible)

i was tempted by two reel to reels of bob dylan albums... but they were $25 and i know nothing about reel to reels..

i have a McCartney reel to reel..

dyecraig

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2015, 09:50:22 pm »
joe strummer - studio leftovers, no grabbers, song titles better than the actual songs, cool hand printed cover, though.
lee morgan - there's a 3 disc cd box set out there with all the full sets, worth it if you dig the LP 
fugazi - new LP w/DL code
gbv - 180 g reissue - wow, you've got something there, hutch!
saw those dylan tapes, too - the s&g was only $10 - kind of a pain to set up/listen to, but I was in the a.v. club in 5th grade: filmstrips, califones, you name it, thank you mr. aufman.         

Unsanity

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2015, 02:51:40 am »
My buddy was a seller there and cleaned up. He said it was really crowded as always.

hutch

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2015, 06:59:51 am »
first my thoughts on the record fair:

as has been the case with pretty much every record fair since the first one six years ago its too crowded... you can hardly have space to pull out a record and see condition and condition is everything! worse yet, at penn social you don't have enough light to really see condition of record! kind of like selling you a car without letting you take it for a drive....full of people there, mainly chicks, who just flip through records really really slowly and go "ha ha ha Men at Work!!!!" to the guy she's with and never buy anything...the other variant is the chick who wants to flirt with the record vendor by having conversations about every record making the record geek feel like a million bucks as he throws factoids about the record out ("crazy Philly accents on this one!").. then you got the guys with giant backpacks who jostle around as if they don't have backpacks while bashing into people...this time there was even a handicapped guy on a huge motorized scooter or whatever you call it (thats dedication)....personally i find the record fair is pretty hard work! its only my love of records and the scores that keeps me coming back..but i always end up with a few that don't play very well..gggrrrr

because of these factors i've learned over the years to try to keep the price of records i buy to a very low number... since you can't really, with rare exceptions, be entirely sure about condition of the record (and you cant well return them) its best to not spend too much on any one record....

from the vendor perspective the fair is a goldmine... a lot of the records kids will buy are $1 records you wouldn't be able to get rid off anywhere else...vendors are typically overcharging (the opposite of what record fairs used to be) and cleaning house on the clueless....

having said all that anything that gets a younger generation interested in vinyl is fine with me...just hope the kids actually have turntables to play their buys on....

and there is always the vendor with the deals.... usually someone from richmond it seems...

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2015, 07:16:33 am »

as has been the case with pretty much every record fair since the first one six years ago its too crowded... you can hardly have space to pull out a record and see condition and condition is everything! worse yet, at penn social you don't have enough light to really see condition of record! kind of like selling you a car without letting you take it for a drive....full of people there, mainly chicks, who just flip through records really really slowly and go "ha ha ha Men at Work!!!!" to the guy she's with and never buy anything...the other variant is the chick who wants to flirt with the record vendor by having conversations about every record making the record geek feel like a million bucks as he throws factoids about the record out ("crazy Philly accents on this one!").. then you got the guys with giant backpacks who jostle around as if they don't have backpacks while bashing into people...this time there was even a handicapped guy on a huge motorized scooter or whatever you call it (thats dedication)....personally i find the record fair is pretty hard work! its only my love of records and the scores that keeps me coming back..but i always end up with a few that don't play very well..gggrrrr

because of these factors i've learned over the years to try to keep the price of records i buy to a very low number... since you can't really, with rare exceptions, be entirely sure about condition of the record (and you cant well return them) its best to not spend too much on any one record....

from the vendor perspective the fair is a goldmine... a lot of the records kids will buy are $1 records you wouldn't be able to get rid off anywhere else...vendors are typically overcharging (the opposite of what record fairs used to be) and cleaning house on the clueless....

having said all that anything that gets a younger generation interested in vinyl is fine with me...just hope the kids actually have turntables to play their buys on....

and there is always the vendor with the deals.... usually someone from richmond it seems...

Hutch I have a small stack of LPs here 20-30 maybe), nothing even close to valuable though.  There may be a couple of autographed one.  I'm thinking like Arlo Guthrie and John Prine.  Many of them though may be marked with my initial in black marked on the sleeve and/or disc label.  If you want them as trade bait, kindling, whatever you are more than welcome to them.
FUKIT

dyecraig

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2015, 09:41:08 am »
you nailed it, hutch:  those observations/stereotypes are spot on, and I will continue to attend.
my max for any record is $20.
the fairs are fun, but nothing beats finding a box of goodies at an estate sale for that same $20.

hutch

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2015, 11:55:59 am »

This was a good score.... this is James Brown's 4th album..from 1961! it didn't have a big hit....it was re-released with a different cover in 1963... pretty obscure... first copy I have seen..

its pretty beat up to shit... but amazingly it does play through... and for $2 I love it...I will add its hard to find these early James Brown records not beat up....

hutch

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2015, 12:02:46 pm »

Hutch I have a small stack of LPs here 20-30 maybe), nothing even close to valuable though.  There may be a couple of autographed one.  I'm thinking like Arlo Guthrie and John Prine.  Many of them though may be marked with my initial in black marked on the sleeve and/or disc label.  If you want them as trade bait, kindling, whatever you are more than welcome to them.

i'd love any autographed ones..i don't live in richmond though....