Author Topic: two wheelin  (Read 76047 times)

WALKonBack

Re: two wheelin
« Reply #165 on: August 26, 2020, 04:17:38 pm »
I like,

how 1000 to 4000 for a toy you ride around and go, wheeeee . . . isn't insane. 

I also like, how so judgey people are in the bike world, based on what bike you got.  I actually heard a guy out here in the forest hiking trail parking lot of the mountains, say very out loud,

"That's the brand your friend has.  Dude.  I don't know if I can ride with you now."

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #166 on: August 26, 2020, 07:38:36 pm »
I like,

some folks spend the same amount going to a show.  at least the biker has a useful item at the end of his purchase... the concert-goer is left with a ticket stub and some fuzzy memories.  meh.
<sig>

hutch

« Reply #167 on: August 26, 2020, 07:58:42 pm »
Yuppie

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #168 on: August 26, 2020, 07:59:28 pm »
I like,

some folks spend the same amount going to a show.  at least the biker has a useful item at the end of his purchase... the concert-goer is left with a ticket stub and some fuzzy memories.  meh.
Where are these $4000 concerts people are attending, why has no one informed Julian’s America of this, and is the presale password still Fidelio?
LVMH

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #169 on: August 31, 2020, 01:36:00 pm »
I like,

Where are these $4000 concerts people are attending, why has no one informed Julian’s America of this, and is the presale password still Fidelio?

i'm including airfare, hotels, etc. i haven't come near spending $4k on a music-related trip, but i've definitely spent $1k+ attending a few festivals.

and don't bother offering me citizenship to JA.  i would refuse it on ethical grounds.
<sig>

Space Freely

« Reply #171 on: September 21, 2020, 08:33:51 am »
Tuesday Facebook served up a memory from eight years ago when i flipped over my handlebars and fractured a rib. I've probably been on 150 bike rides during this pandemic (arthritis in the knees limiting my running, and no gym to go to), but not wanting to tempt fate on the anniversary, i opted to grind out a five mile run.

But you can't keep me off the bike forever, so i was back on Wed and Thurs and again on Saturday. Accelerating on an uphill that directly followed a downhill, my chain locked up. stopping my mid-pedal, and over the handlebars i went...shoulder first, then my helmeted head. Thankfully it was a non-crowded residential road. I laid in pain and daze and a motorist who had seen in happen begged to give me a ride home, but i said i could either push or ride home. One of the brakes was broken but the chain appeared to be relatively ok. I went to urgent care and found out my collarbone is fractured.

That's not the first time that's happened with the chain, and i think i got it fixed at least once before. How do i prevent it from occurring again?

hutch

« Reply #172 on: September 21, 2020, 08:43:05 am »
Wait this is a new accident? I mean the broken collarbone happened Saturday?

Space Freely

« Reply #173 on: September 21, 2020, 09:50:25 am »
Wait this is a new accident? I mean the broken collarbone happened Saturday?

Yep.

Just when i thought 2020 couldn't get any worse, someone my wife knows (not the suicidal gangbang woman) committed suicide, RBG died, and i broke my collarbone, all in quick succession. Bad things happen in threes so I'm good for awhile I reckon.

hutch

« Reply #174 on: September 21, 2020, 09:52:48 am »
Damn dude...I am so sorry.

« Reply #175 on: September 21, 2020, 10:32:58 am »
Good Lord. Sorry to hear this, man.

Get well, get well soon, we want you to get well!
LVMH

« Reply #176 on: September 21, 2020, 12:13:20 pm »

That's not the first time that's happened with the chain, and i think i got it fixed at least once before. How do i prevent it from occurring again?
yikes that sucks...and why I always wear a helmet.  Injury might have been much worse
You should inspect the helemet too... they are a one and done acident prevention tool. If it's has any signs of cracks, you should replace

The chain is one of a few things
1. lubrication...not just for anal sex
2. shifting incorrectly i.e. trying to shift way too many gears at once or sometime is you have the back gears all the way to the end, then you start shifting the big one in the front.  you should always try to shift the backones just a few into the middle, then shift the front one
3. Chain might be too slack/need replacing
4. your derailer is out of alingment or dammaged 

Should always pre-shift a little before hitting a big hill, shouldn't wait until you are in the midst of the tough stuff to do a big shift
I'm a road biker, so the math is a little different on mountian bikes and they are more designed for fast and abrupt changes

My advice would be go to a shop and get a tune up (propbably $125ish) and tell them what happened
REI has a pretty good deal if you are a member and I've found their techs to be very good

Really sucks about the collarbone, that's a bitch
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #177 on: September 21, 2020, 12:45:54 pm »
Thanks Hatch.

I've been a pretty frequent customer at the Bike Lane in Springfield. I'm sure they'll fix me up right.

Apparently they also brew their own beer and serve it at their Reston location, but no such luck at the Springfield location.

https://www.thebikelane.com/articles/bike-lane-brewing-and-cafe-pg2176.htm

« Reply #178 on: September 21, 2020, 01:12:45 pm »
1. lubrication...not just for anal sex
Guys, Relaxer is not coming back no matter how hard you try to summon him. #ToiletArea
LVMH

« Reply #179 on: September 21, 2020, 02:00:45 pm »
I've been a pretty frequent customer at the Bike Lane in Springfield. I'm sure they'll fix me up right.

Apparently they also brew their own beer and serve it at their Reston location, but no such luck at the Springfield location.
always go with who you know and trust
seems like that Reston location is fairly new (at least with the brewery addition) and when I'm biking again look forward to checking it out
beers look pretty tasty on their site (I'm a sucker for a black IPA)

just checked http://www.bikeablebrews.com/
there are a ton of new breweries on the WO&D
slack