Author Topic: Landmark Festival  (Read 9290 times)

fatskippy

Re: Landmark Festival
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2015, 08:13:42 am »
Its a a half hour line for beer, bathroom, and the food lines looked as long too.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2015, 09:09:33 am »
So on the plus side for the festival the weather was great, the park is nice and for the most part I enjoyed the music.  I knew when I arrived the food options weren't enough for those attending, so i'm glad i ate early.  It was nice to be able to get water bottles re-filled so easily.  But, the lines for the drinks were long early in the afternoon.  It was nuts you could only get soda in the same lines as beer.  For a company that does other festivals seems like poor planning on those fronts.  Also, two of the stages were far to close to each other.  You hear the mainstage at times at the other end of the park. 

I enjoyed Ex Hex, London Souls the most.  Empresarios were fun and Vandaveer were good for a bit.  Just couldn't get into Wale's set. Twin Shadow and Mogwlis just made me grumpy.  And yes the set that was the most fun. was. Nate. Ruess. a total festival guilty pleasujre.  Won't see him or fun. otherwise live, but damn are his songs catchy...
T.Rex

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2015, 04:04:34 pm »
The Suffers are one of the most exciting groups I've seen in awhile. So in the groove!
T.Rex

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2015, 11:05:06 am »
I went both days. This was my FreeFest (TM) because I won wristbands on Twitter.

Highlights Saturday: Ex Hex, and chatting with Al from The Shirks; Lone Bellow; Albert Hammond, Jr. and the end of Nate Reuss' set.

Highlights Sunday: Hiss Golden Messenger, Houndmouth, Rhiannon Giddens. Was going to leave early but someone told me that seeing and hearing Alt-J would change my life. Alt-J visuals were interesting. The music was not for me and my life was not changed. Watched a few minutes of Chvrches.

Was told that the festival was way undersold, so that the main "Jefferson" stage was actually moved forward to make it all cozier.

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2015, 01:09:27 pm »
So not quite free...but ended up getting a 2 day pass for $30

Weather was great and a great venue for a festival
since I could bike, I was a happy camper (if it had been at MPP/Lube/Bull Run/Pilmico I wouldn't even considered going)

was cool that they let you bring kids under 10 in for free
brought my girls and left them unattended for hours on Sat (just kidding) they did have a nice 'tag your kid' feature, which gives them a wristband with a chip/barcode so in the event they get lost, I get a call and the staff immediately knows who they are
With that said, the kids area was pretty weak.  
They did get tats and a punk rock hair do.  
Only redeeming part was I did catch half of Ex-Hex (from a considerable distance...but the sound wasn't horrible)
They should have had a Kid's stage with a few artists who they could have paid peanuts for the exposure

Also I didn't take advantage of it, the whole you can leave and enter 3 times a day, was really a great concept.
Especially if you came with kids, you could stay for a few acts and then take them home (or meet a caretaker outside to pick them up)

Beer- $8 for a tall boy of Miller Lite or Coors Lite - $6 for blue moon and then they had some cider options.  I know MillerCoors has never been associated with good beer, but they could have had Peroni or Pilsner Urquel or Henry Weinhard's ...you know and they could have easily charged $10 and people would have paid.  

They really should have had a tent for ID check and the coffee/soda should have also been in a different tent
The cashless wrist band was a great idea, but at least two times it didn't work when I got there

Food options were quite good for a fest IMO

The water stations were a great idea and glad they encouraged people to bring their own bottles.  I did think it was odd that they had 'bartenders' for the water filling.  Do they not think that people could be trusted to fill their own bottle?  Probably 50 people filling water bottles?  Did they pay those people?

Bathrooms...thank god it wasn't 90 degrees as those portajohns would have been unbearable.  Still not sure why they don't set up trough's for the guys at these shows.  Would be sooo much easier on all levels IMO.  Going to have to come up with the 'port-a-trough'...I'll make millions!

Music -
The first day, I caught a little Ex-Hex and was bummed I didn't get up front to catch more.  Sounds like they were one of the best of the day.  Caught 1/2 of the Hunts set and that was Meh
I did enjoy the Mowgils, but then again, my kids are really into them, so that had a lot to do with it. Dancing and singing along They are a great festival act, lots of sing-a-long songs that Az loves :)  Daughter sounded good, but
that was it for me on Saturday.  Big regret was missing London Souls.

Day two...came kidless :)
Caught some of Dr John as I parked my bike and entered the grounds.  Shame he got such a lame timeslot.  (I was told the Hiss Gold mess was great during the same slot)
Houndmouth was good fun and one of the artists I was really looking forward to seeing.  Sedona and For No One sounded awesome. Normally I'd put 'runaround sue' cover as a lame pick to close a set, but they did a great rendition giving all four of the band members a turn at a different verse.  I thought it was great and really amped up the crowd.

Thanks to the Kozmo reco, the Sufferes were one of the best acts I caught this weekend.
They just blew the crowd away right as they opened their set.  Rocking an extended version of Make Some Room and we were instructed "when some one offers to make you as Sandwich...there really is only one answer" The BMI stage wasn't full at that point, but everyone in the room was getting down.  Gawn was another show stealing rave up of a song that has such an infectious groove.  Kam Franklin is just a great front woman with some serious pipes.  Band was tight!

Caught first part of The Joy Formidable and I was really enjoying it.  Loud as heck and IMO not a great fest act, would have been great at the club.  

Alas, friends wanted to catch TV on the Radio.  So we headed over there for the end of their set.  They were fun and energetic, but I wasn't loving it.  I just don't know their music at all.

Good thing was I was right there for the Dan Deacon set.  that was some fun festival music.  Lot of nob twirling, but he really got the crowd going.  Sadly he has a face made for radio ;)

Even though I was enjoying DD, it was getting a little repetitive, so I made it for the second half of Chromeo.  They brought it!  That was a fun set, by an artist I know nothing about.

I was excited that Alt-J was playing and had zero interested in George Ezra.  Every other freckle was a great song to kick off the set.  They are really a boring band to watch live.  Sound was really mixed well and the songs all sounded good.  But after the last 4 acts, they seemed very stiff.  I think I've reached 'peak Alt-J' at this point

Boots was interesting, but not really something I loved. only caught a few songs

Kept going back and forth on staying for the Strokes and decide to go see Red Baraat and that was a catchy jump around set.

I felt like I was ending on a high note and decided to punt on the Strokes as I was exhausted from being on my feet all day.

All in all, I had a good time.  Not sure I would have been happy about paying $175 for a ticket.
but I hope they do it again next year
It was a good capacity for the fest too.   I think if they had a different line up, it would have be a lot more packed.

I noticed that they had some printed material that had the Lincoln stage listed as the Volkswagen stage.
But with all the bad press and the fest trying to be 'green' they must have dropped the sponsership

« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 01:50:47 pm by Sidehatch |̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅| »
slack

hutch

« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2015, 01:38:34 pm »
sidehatch... i'm confused..

you were selling a pass before festival but then went anyways?

too bad you missed dr john...

« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2015, 01:50:01 pm »
I had two, one of which I sold to some Drake lovin fan

also...I said I did see (and hear) at least half of his set
this will be the 4th time I've seen Mac Rebennack, so don't feel like it was a total loss
hard to get super excited for someone who's 74,  but what I heard sounded great

Just because you don't listen to music made in the last 20 years doesn't mean I have to as well
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 01:52:28 pm by Sidehatch |̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅| »
slack

hutch

« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2015, 02:10:21 pm »
I had two, one of which I sold to some Drake lovin fan

also...I said I did see (and hear) at least half of his set
this will be the 4th time I've seen Mac Rebennack, so don't feel like it was a total loss
hard to get super excited for someone who's 74,  but what I heard sounded great

Just because you don't listen to music made in the last 20 years doesn't mean I have to as well

huh? I though  you said your ticket cost $30... I thought two day passes where like $175? did you sell the other ticket to the drake lovin' fan for $30?

dude, you are way out of line on that last bit...in the past 3 days I have bought and listened to these new albums

new order music complete
duranduran
keith Richards
david Gilmour

today I bought the 2011 arctic monkeys album and gilian welch 2011 album.. lookin' forward to listening to them..

not sure what brought about your outburst but i'll take it under advisement that you are in ASSHOLE mode. funny..so easy to be an asshole on the internet ...even to your friends..

had no idea you thought Dr John sucks cause he's 74...did you hear his album produced by Dan Auerbach, you know, the guy from the band the Black Keys... fabulous stuff..came out maybe 3 years ago? so weird.. you write in the same sentence that its hard to get excited cause he's 74 but that what you heard sounded great?  how come its so hard to get excited then?

ggw

« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2015, 02:17:45 pm »

new order music complete
duranduran
keith Richards
david Gilmour

Really hitting the cutting edge new music there....

hutch

« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2015, 02:17:58 pm »
oh... almost forgot..and Saturday I got the new Dead Weather album (you know... the band with that guy Jack White from the White Stripes) as part of my Third Man Records Vault subscription.... but I haven't listened to it..looking forward to it...

I think it came out Friday... kinda new...I think..

hutch

« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2015, 02:18:54 pm »

new order music complete
duranduran
keith Richards
david Gilmour

BOOM!

« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2015, 02:27:43 pm »
huh? I though  you said your ticket cost $30...
Cost me $30 in the end...bought for 4 for $100 each and then when they went up to $150, I sold them at a discount to current rates...although lot harder to unload than I thought.

not sure what brought about your outburst but i'll take it under advisement that you are in ASSHOLE mode. funny..so easy to be an asshole on the internet ...even to your friends..

maybe so, but you seem to be singularly focused the Dr. John was playing the fest
whilst I think he is a part of cannon of American music and a favorite of mine
his live shows are just OK.   Worth seeing if you never have, but wasn't anything spectacularly face melting

had no idea you thought Dr John sucks cause he's 74...
I didn't say he sucked, twice I said he sounded great.
but he is past his prime as far as live performances go...wouldn't you agree with that?

My focus was seeing bands that I hadn't seen before
and on that point, I did exactly what I wanted

slack

« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2015, 02:29:25 pm »

new order music complete
duranduran
keith Richards
david Gilmour

BOOM!
I know....I was getting ready to give him a hard time that the youngest of them are in their mid 50's

slack

Yada

« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2015, 03:19:20 pm »
someone owes someone some show beers in this here thread.

hutch

« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2015, 04:03:07 pm »
someone owes someone some show beers in this here thread.

who?

I don't get it... Sidehatch said I only listen to music that came out 20 years ago.. that's bullcrap... and the idea that older musicians can't make good music is ridiculous... in fact experienced musicians are far more likely to make good music than newbies.

A good example is the new Willie Nelson/Merle Haggard.... so Willie and Merle are old as can be, so what? Its a great album

I don't care how old people are.. a great album is a great album...how long the musician has been around doesn't enter into it.. as long as you have an open mind you're fine...

An example would be Ty Stegall... he has this killer 10" thing... rockin' as can be...  I look forward to seeing Fuzz at the Cat...

But sorry if I don't write off New Order because they're "old"....I really don't care how old they are.

If an older artist puts out a bad album.. hey that's just an artist that put out a bad album.. the fact they are older doesn't enter into it... but if you've been listening to someone for decades and enjoying their work why should you stop because they're old?

Moving from flavor of the month to flavor of the month just following the sheeple... there's nothing to that....it takes some individuality and guts to actually listen to what you like and not worry about the fact Willie or Dr. John are old...or what Sidehatch thinks about Dr. John's current performing skills (never mind the fact he was walking in and heard half of his set..)

Dr John can play better than 99% of these newbie bands with one hand tied behind his back... that's a fact.. and I have seen Dr John by the way.. at the Lincoln from the fifth row center so GTFO.