Author Topic: running/biking/working out/sporto playlist ideas  (Read 7647 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
running/biking/working out/sporto playlist ideas
« on: September 29, 2015, 03:28:22 pm »
The Go! Team (original lineup)
Black Cat
1-24-16

Every time a Go! Team song comes up on my sporto playlist, I am so happy because they make the perfect music for running/biking/whatever. They've got to be my most-listened-to band for whom I've never once thought about who the members are. I have zero idea if it's just one guy in his bedroom or a Polyphonic gathering of weirdos.

So when I saw the above posting, I thought "Whoa. The Go! Team apparently has a classic line-up. Who knew? (not me)"
I concur that they make the perfect music for running/working out. Definitely when I listen to them the most; any workout playlist I make basically has all of the first LP dropped into it by default. I was aware they were a band and not "a dude in his bedroom" but couldn't name the members and only featured the classic lineup bit since the article I saw highlighted it.

The Go! Team, got it.

what else do y'all listen to when gettin' healthy?  personally i listen to electronic music (psychedelic trance, in case anyone cares) but the missus has been asking me to refill her ipod and frankly, i'm at a loss.  preferences: music with lyrics; upbeat r'n'r, indie or pop; nothing aggro or dissonant.  thoughts?
<sig>

Space Freely

Re: running/biking/working out/sporto playlist ideas
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 03:32:26 pm »
Is running or biking with earphones on really a bright idea? I prefer being aware of my surroundings.  ;)

Julian, White Poet WARLORD

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 03:37:34 pm »
I find pop-punk stuff or some emo sufficiently upbeat and bouncy enough to keep my pace up. MxPx, Promise Ring, Texas Is the Reason, older New Found Glory. PsyTrance I couldn't really do personally but more big beat stuff like Chemical Brothers or Fatboy Slim make it onto those type of mixes. The more upbeat Belle and Sebastian songs work really well. Also throwaway pop stuff: Ke$ha, Hilary Duff, Avril, etc.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 03:43:18 pm by Julian, Verified SHITLORD »
LVMH

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 03:38:09 pm »
Is running or biking with earphones on really a bright idea? I prefer being aware of my surroundings.  ;)
I guess it depends where you're running or biking. I never wear headphones biking.
LVMH

ggw

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2015, 03:39:23 pm »
I agree with the Go! Team suggestion.  Junior Kickstart is on my <1 hr run playlist.

Beyond that, I like to mix it up.  Some fast stuff, some medium, some slow.  Put it on shuffle and let the music dictate my tempo.  I had a "run" playlist a while ago:

Iron Maiden - Run to the Hills
Velvet Underground - Run Run Run
No Fun At All - Catch Me Running Around
The D4 - Running on Empty

Etc....

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2015, 04:25:43 pm »
For a couple of years now, I've been slowly dividing my iTunes into "OK for gym" and "sucks for gym" playlists. Then I fill my nano with the OK stuff and let it shuffle.
😐 🎶

walk,on,by

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2015, 04:49:43 pm »
I find it odd, but I listen to talk radio, stern, lance bass, Sandra bernharts show on the new Sirius radio andy channel, when I work out.  it makes the time fly by, and I,m entertained at the same time.

Relaxer

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2015, 05:04:58 pm »
The only time I listen to music while biking is when I'm doing laps at Hains Point. And since I do laps at Hains every weekend, it's quite a lot. I can't run without music; otherwise, all that fills my ears are the sounds of my knees and back and ankles and dong.

My long-standing sporto playlist is ~300 songs, all upbeat and fast and groovy and heavy. Lots of Slayer, Ministry, Hives, Go Team, Melt-Banana, Girls Aloud, Comets on Fire, etc.

But since the beginning of the year, much of what I listen to is KPop, J-Pop, C-Pop, etc. I have a killer 60 song mix that I just can't get enough of, comprised of these and other girl-pop bands.

AFTERSCHOOL
EXID
AOA
(Crayon Pop)
T-ARA
(Nine Muses)
(HELLOVENUS)
Girl's Day
(GFRIEND)
(GIRLS' GENERATION)
(2eyes)
Perfume
(Jace) [Miss S]
CAPSULE
Dal★Shabet
(LPG)
KARA
Ladies' Code
2NE1
Orange Caramel
Ailee
BESTie
Kyary Pamyu Pamyu
Strawberry Machine
Matia Bazar
(Z.HERA)
f(x)
LABOUM
Secret
Wa$$up
A Pink

The music is so catchy and poppy and danceable. Plus my kids love it too! Me and my sons love to crank it up and dance around the house, which usually prompts my wife to disappear into the bathroom with the phone to cry to her sister for some reason.
oword

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2015, 05:08:48 pm »
For a couple of years now, I've been slowly dividing my iTunes into "OK for gym" and "sucks for gym" playlists. Then I fill my nano with the OK stuff and let it shuffle.

so what's on the OK list?!?

I find it odd, but I listen to talk radio,

actually, i listen to talk radio too - brewing podcasts.  dork is moi.
<sig>

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2015, 05:09:47 pm »
Hives are pretty great. Good call.
LVMH

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2015, 05:10:23 pm »
AFTERSCHOOL
EXID
AOA
(Crayon Pop)
T-ARA
(Nine Muses)
(HELLOVENUS)
Girl's Day
(GFRIEND)
(GIRLS' GENERATION)
(2eyes)
Perfume
(Jace) [Miss S]
CAPSULE
Dal★Shabet
(LPG)
KARA
Ladies' Code
2NE1
Orange Caramel
Ailee
BESTie
Kyary Pamyu Pamyu
Strawberry Machine
Matia Bazar
(Z.HERA)
f(x)
LABOUM
Secret
Wa$$up
A Pink

i have not heard of a single one of these bands.  will check out... the things i do for the missus.

(no, relaxer, you do NOT have to list the things i do for the missus.  thanks in advance.)
<sig>

walk,on,by

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2015, 05:11:17 pm »
Hives are pretty great. Good call.

do you even work out, and making fun of those, who are not as great as you think you are, does not count.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2015, 05:11:34 pm »
Chvrches
Glass Candy (esp B/E/A/T/B/O/X)
Makthaverskan (post punk but works for me)
Pure Bathing Culture (the faster songs)
The Knife (silent shout album)
Hot Chip
Goldfrapp (esp Supernature)
Chromatics
mannequin pussy
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 05:35:06 pm by Vas Deferens »
(_|_)

walk,on,by

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2015, 05:12:06 pm »
relaxer,s choice of music, fascinates me, and frightens me, at the same time.  but his body, makes everything, a,ok.

Yada

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2015, 05:21:25 pm »
you folks should step out of the iPod world and create some Spotify playlists so we can share with each other!