Author Topic: TAN: ITT, we have a philosophical discussion about what constitutes a date?  (Read 4576 times)

Julian, White Poet WARLORD

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
So, while we've taken another thread somewhat off topic with discussion of what constitutes exercise, I thought we could spin it off and debate what constitutes a "date."

I was watching Seinfeld the other day and it was the episode where Elaine meets a guy who makes a lame bet about Star Wars where the loser buys dinner, full well knowing he was wrong, and intended the whole thing as an end-around to avoid having to ask her out. I have a friend who is steadfast in his belief that this constitutes a date. His logic is that it involves two people with complimentary sexualities, at least one of which is interested in the other, and they are engaging in a typical "first date" activity. I could not disagree more, I think both people have to consciously be aware it is a date and there was no meeting of the minds on the matter.

What say you, fine denizens of 930? Also, feel free to post awkward social interactions you've seen in the past and we will all weigh in on if they constitute a date as well.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 01:32:32 pm by Julian, Verified SHITLORD »
LVMH

ggw

Re: TAN: What constitutes a date?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2015, 12:10:34 pm »
When's the last time you had a date?

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2015, 12:12:31 pm »
When's the last time you had a date?
September 5th, but this really isn't a thread for talking about dates UNLESS people are going to judge whether the "date" in question was actually a date, you know?
LVMH

ggw

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2015, 12:17:04 pm »
LVMH

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2015, 01:12:07 pm »
I agree both people have to agree to it being a "date". I've gone out plenty of times with a friend or a woman I just met to grab drinks and then we'll meet up later with other friends or continue hanging out alone, but I've never considered it hanging out. Saw a girl I've been interested in at Landmark and she said we should go out sometimes. So, I texted her yesterday and she responded "are you asking me out on a date?" and I didn't know how to answer.... Because... we've gone out before and I didn't think of it as a date.

I think "going out" and "going on a date" are 2 totally different things..... it's weird. I think saying "date" puts a weird expectation or pressure on that night. But idk maybe that's just me.
‼‼?‼‼

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2015, 01:23:47 pm »
we'll meet up later with other friends or continue hanging out alone, but I've never considered it hanging out.
I will never understand you kids and your slick jive.
LVMH

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2015, 01:26:32 pm »
"Hanging out" as in heading to the milkshake shop and having a soda pop or two.
‼‼?‼‼

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2015, 01:27:00 pm »
I think "going out" and "going on a date" are 2 totally different things.....
I sort of find them generally synonymous. Like if someone says "I am going out with Jamie tonite," it means the same to me as "I am going on a date with Jamie tonite." In both cases, someone who spells tonight in the British fashion has a pseudo-romantic social interaction planned with someone named Jamie whose gender is not easily determined.

Obvious proviso that if someone says "Hey, I am going out to get some paper towels, do you need anything at the store," I do not think that is a date.
LVMH

K8teebug

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2015, 01:27:43 pm »
Maybe it was on SNL? There's something from my early years when someone says "Yes it was a date date! I spent money money!"

So, that's my answer.

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2015, 01:28:08 pm »
"Hanging out" as in heading to the milkshake shop and having a soda pop or two.
Milkshake shop? Multiple soda pops? I will never understand you kids and your slick jive. Is this anything like going to the pharmacy and getting a malted at the counter?
LVMH

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2015, 01:30:14 pm »
Maybe it was on SNL? There's something from my early years when someone says "Yes it was a date date! I spent money money!"

So, that's my answer.
Well, now that's an interesting theory. Is it your contention that if the party who suggests it also pays, it is a date, outside circumstances be damned? Does going dutch make it a non-date?
LVMH

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2015, 01:33:37 pm »
slack

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2015, 01:46:38 pm »
still waiting on the 'real story' on that one
I am considering telling the donators this story, in person, at some point. Only considering.
LVMH