Author Topic: The College Basketball Thread  (Read 7669 times)

TomJaworski

Re: The College Basketball Thread
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2006, 11:47:00 am »
Do you know what "BCS" means? Bowl Championship Series...it doesn't in anyway apply to college basketball, because basketball does it right and implements a playoff system at the end of the regular season.

ggw

« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2006, 12:04:00 pm »
Speaking of BCS....when was the last time (prior to this week) that a school was concurrently ranked number 1 in both the football and basketball polls?

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2006, 01:58:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
  Speaking of BCS....when was the last time (prior to this week) that a school was concurrently ranked number 1 in both the football and basketball polls?
notre dame in 74 for #1 in AP football / AP basketball ... but ohio state hoops isn't ranked #1 in the AP, because the voters there have some iota of brains sloshing around up there
(o|o)

sonickteam2

« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2006, 02:01:00 pm »
wasnt Texas number 1 in both polls just last year or the year before?

vansmack

« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2006, 02:09:00 pm »
Originally posted by le sonick:
No.  They both got to #2 at the same time, but never #1 at the same time.

UCLA was once ranked #1 in football and had won the national title in basketball the previous March, but by the time the first AP basketball poll came out in the fall, they were no longer #1 in football.

That means that The University of Notre Dame (1974) is the only university to do it in both AP polls concurrently (Ohio St. is currently #3 in AP hoops).
27>34

jetelo

« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2006, 10:01:00 pm »
While technically you are right, basketball followers still uses the BCS term to indicate those in one of the six major conferences.  I wasn't starting a pissing match, just in case you want to answer that basketball uses the term majors/mid-majors.   Pick at the technical aspects of my post, rather than the meat of it.  Either way, your Panthers won a squeaker, at home, over the mighty whatevers of Oakland.  But hey, that WAS their 3rd game in 3 days.  Whew, hope they recover.

jetelo

« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2006, 10:07:00 pm »
Maybe Clark Kellogg needs to look at your post regarding how BCS does not refer to basketball.

http://cbs.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/story/9834465

Ever-improving Davids get early start on humbling Goliaths  
    Nov. 28, 2006
 By Clark Kellogg
 CBS Sports      

If you didn't enjoy the first few weeks of the season, you can't call yourself a college hoops fan. We had a taste of March Madness in November, sans the season being over for the losers.

Brian Ligon shows off Butler's NIT championship trophy. (Getty Images)    
 All over the landscape there were power conference (BCS) schools losing to non-power conference schools:

â?¢ Butler won the NIT Season Tip-Off, beating Notre Dame, Indiana, Tennessee and Gonzaga;
 â?¢  Oral Roberts beat Kansas, ranked No. 3 at the time;
 â?¢  Air Force foiled Stanford, Colorado and Texas Tech;
 â?¢  Jackson State won a thriller at Rutgers;
 â?¢  Old Dominion dispatched Georgetown;
 â?¢  Xavier defeated Villanova;
 â?¢ Missouri State stunned Wisconsin;
 â?¢ Vermont bounced Boston College;
 â?¢ Buffalo beat Miami;
 â?¢ Western Michigan edged Virginia Tech.

Granted, most of these wins were on neutral courts, but Air Force, Old Dominion, Oral Roberts and Vermont all earned true road wins.

I love the plethora of pre-conference events and tournaments. I won't pretend to understand the challenges, dynamics and financial considerations of scheduling, but I think it's healthy for college hoops to have BCS schools vs. non-BCS schools on neutral courts. In many cases, it's the only way for these matchups to occur outside of postseason play. And that's a shame.

I would also like to see more BCS schools do home-and-homes with a few non-BCS schools. It presents a real possibility for losses, both financially and on the court, but I think it would be good for the game.

jakez468

« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2006, 11:27:00 pm »
Yes, I'm happy to update this thread! Maryland just beat Illinois to end their non-conference home win streak which started in 1998. 19th ranked Maryland's 8-0 start is its best since the 1988-89 team won its first 10.

Venerable Bede

« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2006, 03:23:00 pm »
Originally posted by jetelo:

All over the landscape there were power conference (BCS) schools losing to non-power conference schools:

â?¢ Butler won the NIT Season Tip-Off, beating Notre Dame, Indiana, Tennessee and Gonzaga;
 â?¢ Oral Roberts beat Kansas, ranked No. 3 at the time;
 â?¢ Air Force foiled Stanford, Colorado and Texas Tech;
 â?¢ Jackson State won a thriller at Rutgers;
 â?¢ Old Dominion dispatched Georgetown;
 â?¢ Xavier defeated Villanova;
 â?¢ Missouri State stunned Wisconsin;
 â?¢ Vermont bounced Boston College;
 â?¢ Buffalo beat Miami;
 â?¢ Western Michigan edged Virginia Tech.

curious, if gonzaga had won, would kellogg have included it in that list?  

i do have some issues with the teams listed- air force, oral roberts, butler, xavier and vermont have all made multiple trips to the tournament in the past few years.  basketball is just a completely different animal than football- a great football team from a non-power conference can beat a bad team from a bcs conference, but, no way can it beat a good/great team.  as shown in last year's ncaa basketball tournament, a good team from a non-power conference can beat a good team from a major conference.  

several non-power conferences are just as good as the power conferences in basketball- i'm thinking of missouri valley and west coast, for instance.
OU812

sonickteam2

« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2006, 03:33:00 pm »
Originally posted by vansmack:

No.  They both got to #2 at the same time, but never #1 at the same time.

UCLA was once ranked #1 in football and had won the national title in basketball the previous March, but by the time the first AP basketball poll came out in the fall, they were no longer #1 in football.

That means that The University of Notre Dame (1974) is the only university to do it in both AP polls concurrently (Ohio St. is currently #3 in AP hoops). [/b]

however, they werent number one in both polls while both seasons were still ongoing.  apparently in 1974 Notre Dame was number one in one sport that either hadnt begun or already ended. or something, this is according to ESPN last night.

so they said "no team has ever been number 1 in both AP polls while both seasons were active"

i was close with Texas, and that was off the top of my head!

vansmack

« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2006, 03:46:00 pm »
  however, they werent number one in both polls while both seasons were still ongoing.  apparently in 1974 Notre Dame was number one in one sport that either hadnt begun or already ended. or something, this is according to ESPN last night.

You're right, it was 2 weeks off, maybe three. But they were the same graduation year, unlike UCLA in 1967, and people usually cite that as the difference.  

Notre Dame won the National Title in Football Jan. 1974.  Two/three weeks later Notre Dame beat UCLA to become #1 in basketball (only to lose to UCLA 1 week later in a rematch).

UCLA were National Champions in Basketball in March 1967.  That fall, they were #1 in Football, but the new basketball season hadn't started yet.  By the time the basketball season started, UCLA lost to USC in Football, and were no longer #1.
27>34

ggw

« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2006, 05:13:00 pm »
Originally posted by jakez468:
  Yes, I'm happy to update this thread! Maryland just beat Illinois to end their non-conference home win streak which started in 1998. 19th ranked Maryland's 8-0 start is its best since the 1988-89 team won its first 10.
The College Park Fire Department must be giddy with anticipation.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2006, 05:19:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:

Originally posted by jakez468:
The College Park Fire Department must be giddy with anticipation. [/b]
whenever i'm watching a maryland game and they win, i always want the announcer to say "light those couches!!"
(o|o)

« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2006, 05:19:00 pm »
So who is the hottest lesbian in college basketball?

TomJaworski

« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2006, 11:28:00 am »
While technically you are right, basketball followers still uses the BCS term to indicate those in one of the six major conferences. I wasn't starting a pissing match, just in case you want to answer that basketball uses the term majors/mid-majors. Pick at the technical aspects of my post, rather than the meat of it. Either way, your Panthers won a squeaker, at home, over the mighty whatevers of Oakland. But hey, that WAS their 3rd game in 3 days. Whew, hope they recover.
This will be my last post on this topic since the Panthers have recovered well (wink, wink), winning two more games that included soundily defeating BCS-member Florida St. My area of objection was that I define "squeaker" as something like a one-point win in double overtime. I guess we will just have to agree to disagree. Of course, Oakland should have been defeated by a larger margin, but even the best teams have slow starts...the bottom line is that a victory was had by a comfortable margin.

Moving on, was the Gtown/Oregon even on television? I wasn't even aware of the game until this morning because of all the hoopla over the ACC/Big Ten Shoot-Out. The only Big East games I've seen on TV lately were some UConn games on MASN.