Author Topic: Thanksgiving Playlist  (Read 3737 times)

stevewizzle

Thanksgiving Playlist
« on: November 23, 2015, 07:30:06 pm »
what's everyone spinning during Thanksgiving?

killsaly

Re: Thanksgiving Playlist
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 07:59:48 pm »
I definitely need to setup a playlist tonight/tomorrow for the upcoming drive to and from Alabama...

The last music I added was by Power Trip, and their name has the word Trip in it, so:
Power Trip - Manifest Decimation
Power Trip - Armageddon Blues
Power Trip - Power Trip

shemptiness

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2015, 09:10:05 pm »
Free Bird!

hutch

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2015, 09:25:24 pm »
i'll be getting drunk, taking some drugs and hoping I make it.. its going to be a nightmare..

killsaly

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2015, 10:54:27 pm »
Albums of Thanks
Drake - Thank Me Later
Duran Duran - Thank You
NoFX - So Long And Thanks For All The Shoes

Songs of Thanks
Violent Femmes - Thanksgiving (No Way Out)
The Charlatans - Thank You
Cabaret Voltaire - Thank You America
Bob Marley & the Wailers - Give Thanks and Praises
My Morning Jacket - Thank You Too!
Mogwai - Thank You Space Expert
Cloud Cult - Thanks
Michael Franti & Spearhead - Thank You
yautja - thankful; appalled

hutch

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2015, 11:04:47 pm »
my list will be entirely composed of that sandler song.. the one about put a bullet in my head..

killsaly

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2015, 11:40:13 pm »
Miley Cyrus - Drive
Nitzer Ebb - Drive
Dead Mellotron - A Long Drive Home
Kylesa - Night Drive
Tripping Daisy - Our Drive To The Sun / Can A Man Mark It?
Weekend - Just Drive
NEVER - Five Hour Drive
Modest Mouse - Head South
Modest Mouse - Exit Does Not Exist
Modest Mouse - Dramamine
Skywave - Coast Drive
Deftones - Be Quiet and Drive (Far Away)
Shabazz Palaces - Sonic MythMap for the Trip Back
Morphine - Let's Take a Trip Together
Dr Dog - Worst Trip
Kanye West - Guilt Trip
Thundercat - Return To The Journey
the Avalanches - Little Journey
Daft Punk - Voyager
Ghostland Observatory - Midnight Voyage

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2015, 12:07:00 am »
Jon Spencer Blues Explosion - Big Road
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2021, 08:52:53 am »
i'll be getting drunk, taking some drugs and hoping I make it.. its going to be a nightmare..

Remember when surviving Thanksgiving was the biggest worry?

The in-laws haven't paid a visit in 10+ years and we haven't visited them since 2018, so I convinced my wife it's time to do the nice the nice thing and pay them a visit since Trump is at least out for now.

So we'll be packing up the kid and dog and heading out for the 12 hour one way drive early Wednesday morning. To answer stevewizzle's question, I'm thinking of playing some of my favorite albums of 2021 to help me through the drive, my daughter promises to catch me up on the Lana Del Rey albums I haven't heard, and my wife said she'll play the new Snoop Dog album (joy!)

After landing the SUV, we'll get to sleep in the basement that has no bathroom. This is a recurring theme with the in-laws. When I first visited them when i was 34 or 35 (and my fiancee was 29 or 30), I was forced to sleep in the basement alone (it was a different house), and had to pee in the utility sink (or climb stairs and go through the kitchen to get to the bathroom.) Why did I have to sleep alone? Because we weren't yet married, and that was the house rule. (Meanwhile, they were pregnant with my wife when they were unwed and 20, it's always do as i say not as i do with these Christians.)

Then Thursday, I'll be the guy eating sides at Thanksgiving, and feeling guilty about the glass of beer because I'm the only male at the table who's not an alcoholic. I wonder if football (which we three collectively give zero fucks about) will dominate the tv? Go Bears! At least it's not Christmas, so we won't be subjected to the Nashville Network Xmas coverage, a live broadcast of a Catholic Mass, and the old VHS tape of the Winans Christmas special, all at deafeningly loud volumes so Gramps can hear it.

Friday was to be the saving grace, with a trip into Chicago (a city I don't particularly like but it beats rura1 Indiana) and a visit to the new Half Acre location for some lunch, beer, and take home beer. But reading the fine print, if I were to take my 13 year old dog, he could come inside to the taproom or the heated tent and eat all the lunch he wants, but my vaccinated 14 year old human kid would not be allowed in those spots at all (even to eat a full lunch at a dead-ish time on a weekday); she would have to stay outside on the unheated patio which is only open "weather permitting." (*Weather predicted to be clear and 33, that's probablly weather permitting in Chicago) Oh well, I guess they don't need my $100+ anyway. I'm told the food is better at the BYOB ethnic joints anyway.

Then Saturday we recover back at the homestead and Sunday hit the road again.

Am I being a little too whiny? We do have plenty to be thankful for, and I am. We both have jobs, daughter is doing fine in high school, dog is still in amazing health for a teenager, grandparents are in good health, Trump is temporarily out of office, we got the boosters, hopefully they'll offer them to teenagers even if they really don't need them....so no more whining until 2024.

But now the trip just got 100 times weirder because on Saturday, my sister-in law's boyfriend blew his brains out and she discovered the body. But we're still invited!

So what are you guys spinning, and/or doing for Thanksgiving?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2021, 09:03:36 am by Space Freely »

Starsky

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2021, 09:12:44 am »
Damn dude. Sorry to read that….That’s going to be an awkward Thanksgiving.

“Ain’t that America, little pink houses for you and me….”

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2021, 09:59:52 am »
Set Your Controls For the Heart of the Sun

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2021, 10:35:33 am »
Sorry Space, that all sounds awful.

Space Freely

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2021, 10:42:22 am »
Sorry Space, that all sounds awful.

Thanks. I can't imagine what my sister in law is going through. I'll just be there are quiet support, I reckon. I never met the guy, but I certainly feel for those who did.

How is your acquaintance with COVID, the one who it was looking "grim" for?

Starsky

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2021, 10:54:44 am »
Space, is your in-laws place too rural to get a hotel room?

It really helps to have your own space

Space Freely

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2021, 11:29:44 am »
Space, is your in-laws place too rural to get a hotel room?

It really helps to have your own space

Looks like there's a Super 8 maybe 10 miles away.

I would tend to agree, but in-laws have a huge house and we get the entire basement to ourselves, which is a nice space (more pleasant than a Super 8 room), except you have to climb stairs to get to the bathroom.

In the past, my wife has complained quite a bit about my daughter and I spending too much time in the basement not interacting with the rest of the family, so having a hotel room probably would encourage even less interaction. We're only there for two full days (one day in the city), so we'll survive. That's one reason we chose to go at THanksgiving...it's a short trip by necessity because of school schedule.