Author Topic: 9:30 world's fair....?!  (Read 54955 times)

shemptiness

Re: 9:30 world's fair....?!
« Reply #60 on: January 04, 2016, 10:26:52 am »
Seth on with Elliott - DC101 - right now

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #61 on: January 04, 2016, 01:58:25 pm »
I have a few extras.
1 for Tuesday 11 PM
3 for Thursday 8 PM
May also post them on the facebook event page.
PM me and I will email to you...
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 02:15:58 pm by challenged »

bearman🐻

« Reply #62 on: January 04, 2016, 03:09:32 pm »
http://brightestyoungthings.com/articles/35-years-at-930.htm

Really nice piece. Wonderful words about Josh. And what's this about the Lincoln Theater being haunted? Cool. I 'd love to hear more about that one. I know that the Metro in Chicago is supposedly haunted as well.

hemisphire

« Reply #63 on: January 04, 2016, 03:53:29 pm »
http://brightestyoungthings.com/articles/35-years-at-930.htm

Really nice piece. Wonderful words about Josh. And what's this about the Lincoln Theater being haunted? Cool. I 'd love to hear more about that one. I know that the Metro in Chicago is supposedly haunted as well.

You left out the best part: "It was Dark Star Orchestra, which is a Grateful Dead cover band. Apparently there was a gentleman ? and I use that term loosely here ? who turned out to be a New Jersey State Senator, who had relieved himself in public from the second floor, and turned it into a ?VIPee? section."

eltee

« Reply #64 on: January 04, 2016, 05:24:16 pm »
I have two tickets for Wed. at 8 pm  available.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #65 on: January 04, 2016, 10:06:37 pm »
I have two tickets for Wed. at 8 pm  available.

Sent you a PM

lily1

« Reply #66 on: January 04, 2016, 10:27:07 pm »
I have an extra for tomorrow (Tuesday) evening at 9pm. Give a holler if you want in on the party.

mekmad

« Reply #67 on: January 05, 2016, 12:26:49 am »
I have 2 for Saturday at 2pm if anyone wants them.

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #68 on: January 05, 2016, 12:08:56 pm »
Any feedback? I got the email saying they're doing t shirt printing of famous concert posters, offering free 930 Club tattoos, rebuilding parts of the old 930 Club and doing tour of the backstage? This sounds so cool!

Even though I've been backstage a few times  ::) :P I'm stoked!!
‼‼?‼‼

bearman🐻

« Reply #69 on: January 05, 2016, 12:14:11 pm »
Any feedback? I got the email saying they're doing t shirt printing of famous concert posters, offering free 930 Club tattoos, rebuilding parts of the old 930 Club and doing tour of the backstage? This sounds so cool!

My one thought was "how can you recreate the old club without the smell?"

« Reply #70 on: January 05, 2016, 01:03:22 pm »

#humblebrag
slack

« Reply #71 on: January 05, 2016, 01:04:26 pm »

Have a good friend who took one of the bathroom stall doors installed in his stair well
smell went away after a few years
slack

Seth Hurwitz

• Administrator
« Reply #72 on: January 05, 2016, 01:11:49 pm »

well that's easy

we will make it smell

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #73 on: January 05, 2016, 02:14:22 pm »

#humblebrag
Hey, I've performed on that stage, let me be proud!
‼‼?‼‼

bearman🐻

« Reply #74 on: January 05, 2016, 02:17:44 pm »

well that's easy

we will make it smell

I can still remember the old Club smell vividly. That odor would cling to me for days, like the Seinfeld BO episode. It was like a cross between sweat, smoke, stale beer, and something incredibly acrid...maybe rat piss. And yet I'll never forget how excited I was coming from a city like Chicago to see bands on that tiny stage. The first time I saw the 9:30 stage I laughed. It was so low, the place was so intimate. But to see Helmet, Oasis, Urge Overkill, Lloyd Cole, Bob Mould, Teenage Fanclub, the Goo Goo Dolls, and Catherine Wheel in that tiny space was so fun, so amazing. In a few years I felt like I was there every week...it was like a second home. The musicians often had just as good a time as the audience. I'm bummed I wasn't living in DC when Iggy Pop played there. It was one of the first places I had ever been in where you could lock eyes with a musician and they'd sing to you, and that changed the way concerts felt to me. I cannot wait for tonight.

And yes, the rats really were that out of control. I went backstage when Bob Mould played in 1993 and was let out the back of the club and I had to walk around to F Street. It was like something out of Indiana Jones. There were dead rats littering the alley, but also dozens of live ones that I was running through and stepping on to try to get away from them. It's not an exaggeration.