Author Topic: 9:30 world's fair....?!  (Read 55091 times)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
Re: 9:30 world's fair....?!
« Reply #105 on: January 06, 2016, 10:21:12 pm »
I'm amused by the fact that if you google 930 club worlds fair, the second result is the link to this topic :)
T.Rex

saintangelsin

« Reply #106 on: January 06, 2016, 11:51:58 pm »
I'm going tomorrow night, so excited! Was originally going to take my mom but she can't go, so my sister is going with me instead. I missed the old club by about 3 years, but that doesn't mean I haven't vicariously lived through the stories of others.

I know I've shared this before, but the first time I went to a show at the 930 club, I was 13 and it was September 1998. I was excited to see live music, but little did I know at the time, I'd fall in love with the place. For a 13 year old girl from rural western MD, the club became my idea of heaven. I wasn't the weird girl in school when I was seeing bands at the club. Instead, I was the lucky cool girl because my parents brought me out to see bands I loved. Various patrons I'd meet back then always seemed impressed that someone so young loved real music unlike the stuff my peers at school listened to at the time. In high school and my first 2 years of college at Frostburg State, I referred to the club as my living room because every time I was there, it was with my family. The Lahmans became so well known to the staph, Josh would ask me how my parents were whenever I'd see him somewhere. I guess a family of four coming all the way from Frostburg was rather memorable. When I went off to University of Maryland, the club quickly became my home away from home. Truth be told, I transferred  to UMD for journalism, college radio and because it meant I would be so close to the club.

Considering I've seen so many shows and I've been on this forum since high school (2001 I think),  I feel so lucky to be part of the culture that this place has created. Cheers to everyone! And much love and thanks to Seth and all the staph. May the club be around for at least a century if not two!

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #107 on: January 07, 2016, 12:08:38 am »
Went tonight.  That was stunning, remarkable!  Mad props to Seth and everyone involved.

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #108 on: January 07, 2016, 10:23:56 am »
Had a blast. Went with a group of friends. At one point we had all split up and were off on our own. It was funny watching one of the documentary clips on the 2nd floor talking about how much culture was happening in the old 930 Club building. Music and art, and how they felt they were going to be losing that going to the new building. I'd love to hear what they think about the U St Corridor culture now lol.

It was so cool. Had a lot of fun! Probably took about an hour to look, read, listen, watch, and appreciate all the things they did.
‼‼?‼‼

eros

« Reply #109 on: January 07, 2016, 12:15:18 pm »
Agree with all the glowing reviews above.  If you are even thinking about going, find yourself a ticket and do it! 

The prep/setup must have been an incredible amount of work, but I imagine it was huge fun for everyone who did it.  Thanks Seth and everyone else for making it happen.

P.S.  I'd never had a 9:30 cupcake before - surprisingly good!
ʎɐʍou

« Reply #110 on: January 07, 2016, 12:38:44 pm »
me neither and loved it...didn't want to spoil the treat those who have not gone yet
slack

shemptiness

« Reply #111 on: January 07, 2016, 12:45:13 pm »
Had tickets for 7 last night.  I assumed Satellite would be open, but no.  The line outside was long and we didn't get in at 7, but not too bad since we pre-gamed (and post-gamed) at Duffy's.  Great show - enjoyed it a lot.  Pre-ordered the book so it's being delivered.  Got a pair of awesome sox.   

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #112 on: January 07, 2016, 01:14:42 pm »

Love them.

Going tonight at 8. Can you pick up tickets early? Guess I'll go early and stand in line.

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #113 on: January 07, 2016, 01:20:03 pm »
Pre-ordered the book so it's being delivered. 

For those of you who haven't gone yet... If you pre-ordered the book you can pick it up at the event. Just show them your ID.

shemptiness

« Reply #114 on: January 07, 2016, 01:31:55 pm »
Pre-ordered the book so it's being delivered. 

For those of you who haven't gone yet... If you pre-ordered the book you can pick it up at the event. Just show them your ID.

Really?  I emailed merch@930 and was told mine would be shipped.  I wish I would have known I could've picked it up last night.  Bummed.   

Darth Ed

« Reply #115 on: January 07, 2016, 04:55:38 pm »
I was really pleased with the whole event. It was very nostalgic for me. I didn't move to the DC area until the beginning of 1995, so I never attended a concert at 930 F Street, but I still have almost 19 years of memories of the 9:30 Club on V Street. I was watching the video in the little room that's next to the dressing room, and the talking head reminisced about the Moby show when the power went out, and I was like "Hey, I was at that show!" And then the concert posters... Hey, I have that TV on the Radio show poster! Hey, I was at both of those Wilco shows on that poster! Loved seeing the early footage of Nick Cave, especially. Saw some video from a couple of shows I attended. That was cool. I was hoping to catch some video of an early R.E.M. show, since they're my favorite band, but no such luck. I did take lots of pics of memorabilia from various R.E.M. shows of the past though.

Overall, getting into the backstage dressing room was probably the best part. Getting to walk around on the stage was probably the second best part. I told Kosmo on Facebook that I was a little disappointed they didn't open up the DJ booth. It's mostly storage space now, he said, but I would've liked to have seen the view from up there just once.

The "Hall of Records" was a nice touch. It took me a while, but I eventually found the CD for the headliner of my first 9:30 Club show and took a picture of it.

I picked up my copy of the book and bought the V Street poster. The sign under the V Street poster said it was signed and numbered. It's not numbered at all, for the record, not my copy anyway. Just a word of warning there. But I like it anyway. I need another concert poster like I need a hole in my head, but it was hard to resist. Read most of the 9:30 book the other evening, and it's jam packed with info and pics and interviews. Excellent graphic design. I'm very pleased with it.

Free cupcake on the way out was a nice touch.

I think I saw Bearman and Bombay Chutney there (Tuesday night), but it's been many years since I've run into you guys, so I wasn't 100% sure and didn't say anything.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 05:04:59 pm by Darth Ed »

killsaly

« Reply #116 on: January 07, 2016, 05:05:31 pm »
Nobody dug the Soul and Ink live screen-printing?  I met them at a festival last year, super nice people and had a cool t-shirt made for cheap.  There were slight imperfections because they were doing it outdoors on a windy day... I want to see how it is in a controlled environment.

Darth Ed

« Reply #117 on: January 07, 2016, 05:11:12 pm »
Nobody dug the Soul and Ink live screen-printing?  I met them at a festival last year, super nice people and had a cool t-shirt made for cheap.  There were slight imperfections because they were doing it outdoors on a windy day... I want to see how it is in a controlled environment.

I saw the silk screens, but I didn't see anything actually happening there. I would say they were underutilized. They could've used a sign. I didn't know what they were for or how much it cost. Were they free? Ditto for the tattoos. Later, "Bags" on Facebook said the tattoos were free. Not that I would've gotten one, but I didn't see a sign saying "free tattoo". Maybe if I had paid more attention to the publicity, I would've known these things, I guess.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 05:14:48 pm by Darth Ed »

killsaly

« Reply #118 on: January 07, 2016, 05:17:08 pm »
No, the screen-printing was probably not free...

walk,on,by