Author Topic: The Star Wars discussion/SPOILER thread  (Read 50194 times)

hutch

Re: The Star Wars discussion/SPOILER thread
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2015, 03:39:03 pm »
the overcommercialization of the thing since Disney bought it is way over the top.. Star Wars Mac and Cheese, Stars Wars condoms, Stars Wars shirts, Star Wars underwear.. come on

Did you not notice that there were fucking minions attached to everything last summer?

And pointing to the Star Wars franchise and over-commercialization is like accusing the ocean of suddenly being wet.

no way.. it has hit a whole new level in the past year.. ...  hey, I respect your right to enjoy it but I wouldn't be caught dead anywhere near this star wars commercialgavanza thing...I mean i'll watch the movie at some point,.. but it has become annoying.. way OVER THE TOP commercialization....

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2015, 12:34:58 pm »
the overcommercialization of the thing since Disney bought it is way over the top.. Star Wars Mac and Cheese, Stars Wars condoms, Stars Wars shirts, Star Wars underwear.. come on

Did you not notice that there were fucking minions attached to everything last summer?

And pointing to the Star Wars franchise and over-commercialization is like accusing the ocean of suddenly being wet.

no way.. it has hit a whole new level in the past year.. ...  hey, I respect your right to enjoy it but I wouldn't be caught dead anywhere near this star wars commercialgavanza thing...I mean i'll watch the movie at some point,.. but it has become annoying.. way OVER THE TOP commercialization....
Lol have you ever seen the amounts of merch there were when those movies came out in the 70s and 80s? Come on dude. Sheets! McDonalds tie ins! TV specials! Books! Toys! come on.

*SPOILERS AFOOT*

Saw it Thursday night, got there a freaking hour before the movie and still had to sit up front. Probably one of the most fun movies of the year. Was a little taken aback about how many familiar tropes there were. I mean, another planet-sized-planet-destroying-death planet? Really? It was a super fun adventure and it established the new characters fine, but I wish there was more of a resolution. I figured Abrams would have to throw something semi big in ["killing off Han"], but it didn't really FEEL like anything was accomplished. All just starting points for the larger story. It just kind of sucks that we may look back on it as the beginning instead of a great story itself.

I found myself rooting for all the new characters a lot more than I did the old ones and I think that's cool. It was a ton of fun and I'm definitely going to be catching it again this week. I really appreciate how the CGI was toned WAY down from the prequels. It was nice to see real creatures and practical sets being utilized.

There was also a freaking MERCH stand at my theatre like it was a concert or something. Shirts, posters, hats, other small trinkets. It was funny.
‼‼?‼‼

Relaxer

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2015, 12:54:54 pm »
I went Friday night with a gaggle of goddamn children. First of all, this was the 7:30 pm show at Poto Yard, so not exactly out in the sticks. And it wasn't even full, or packed for that matter. I mean, it was 2/3 full but I remember seeing Fast & Furious 7 on the Saturday of its opening weekend and the theater was pandemonium. We had enough empty seats around us to pile up all the coats, which was pleasant.

As for the movie, I give it a 6/10. I just didn't care much about any of the new characters, whether it was Fin or the woman or even another tortured emo villain. It seemed like a huge stretch that a rando girl just happens to see a robot in a net and frees it and oh hey, is suddenly, coincidentally a big Force person, who learns how to use the Force in about 5 minutes. And why did the girl and Leia have this huge dramatic hug when they met? How do they know each other? Do they just sense "Ahhhh, I suspect the plot has big things in store for us!"

And why does R2D2 just all of a sudden wake up?

And why does the villain keep taking off and putting back on his mask?

And it's weird how the head of a huge villainous operation is always showing up to attack the heroes like Jason. Seriously, the heroes will be in the middle of nowhere and all of a sudden, there's emo villain there to attack!

And it seemed weird how all of these extraordinary galactic operations are unable to capture one goofy little robot whose just walking/rolling around all casual like

I did enjoy it and it was fun, but I kept having these niggling questions in my head.
oword

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2015, 12:56:24 pm »
I did enjoy it and it was fun, but I kept having these niggling questions in my head.
Wow, it's almost like Star Wars is illogical nerd crap that isn't real.
LVMH

Relaxer

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2015, 12:57:01 pm »
Also, if the entire galaxy is frantically trying to get to Luke first, why does the Rebellion send some random chick who just happened to wander in instead, of, oh I don't know, Luke's sister who is now a military general?
oword

Yada

« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2015, 02:20:52 pm »
I went Friday night with a gaggle of goddamn children. First of all, this was the 7:30 pm show at Poto Yard, so not exactly out in the sticks. And it wasn't even full, or packed for that matter. I mean, it was 2/3 full but I remember seeing Fast & Furious 7 on the Saturday of its opening weekend and the theater was pandemonium. We had enough empty seats around us to pile up all the coats, which was pleasant.

As for the movie, I give it a 6/10. I just didn't care much about any of the new characters, whether it was Fin or the woman or even another tortured emo villain. It seemed like a huge stretch that a rando girl just happens to see a robot in a net and frees it and oh hey, is suddenly, coincidentally a big Force person, who learns how to use the Force in about 5 minutes. And why did the girl and Leia have this huge dramatic hug when they met? How do they know each other? Do they just sense "Ahhhh, I suspect the plot has big things in store for us!"

And it's weird how the head of a huge villainous operation is always showing up to attack the heroes like Jason. Seriously, the heroes will be in the middle of nowhere and all of a sudden, there's emo villain there to attack!

And it seemed weird how all of these extraordinary galactic operations are unable to capture one goofy little robot whose just walking/rolling around all casual like

how was your buzz going into the movie? what did you get to eat? etc?

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2015, 02:29:37 pm »
It seemed like a huge stretch that a rando girl just happens to see a robot in a net and frees it and oh hey, is suddenly, coincidentally a big Force person, who learns how to use the Force in about 5 minutes. And why did the girl and Leia have this huge dramatic hug when they met? How do they know each other? Do they just sense "Ahhhh, I suspect the plot has big things in store for us!"

They said R2 put itself into sleep mode until Luke came back. He must have sensed Luke was back and turned on, duh.

They don't show it, but Darth Vader also takes off his helmet in the original trilogy at least twice. Both that and the Kylo Ren unveiling were pretty disappointing [pasty white raisin dude & emo looking dude]. The point of that is that he ISN'T Darth Vader and that he's a spoiled brat, hence why he's always butting heads with that other commander/general dude.

As for him always being there, isn't he the leader of the First Order army or whatever? He made it HIS personal mission to get that robot/map to Luke Skywalker. Not to mention as soon as they get to whats-her-face's hideout there is a First Order spy alerting them immediately that the robot is there. The robot holding the map to "the last jedi" that will "end the war" and "let the first order rule the galaxy".

And to be fair they DID say that Bb8 was a rare droid AND it didn't have any tracking devices the First Order could take advantage of AND they were hopping from system to system trying to avoid detection and it's 1 freaking droid out of thousands, if not millions, if not billions across how many solar systems? Even modern day we can barely locate ISIS members in caves let alone a long, LONG, time ago in a galaxy far far away ;)

As for the hug, I just figured it was "Oh man, you were a scrap girl and you just witnessed tons of shit go down and just got chased across the galaxy by the super evil First Order. You poor child." idk. That's what I thought it was. Just a motherly moment for Laia. I also think the sending of Rey to get Luke from his hideout was to show him The Force was still alive, seeing as how his family/friends had just been trying to get him to come back. Although I think it's shitty for him to leave when he knows Kylo Ren and the First Order are out there...
‼‼?‼‼

Relaxer

« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2015, 02:36:19 pm »
My buzz action was on point. Fortunately, my youngest son opted to see the Chipmunk movie with some of the other younger wiener kids (lol at dopey dad Andrew agreeing to chaperone the little kid movie) and I had another dad with me at Star Wars so I was able to go out to the car with no problem and without guilt about leaving a group of 11 yr olds alone (which isn't really a concern -- these kids got pretty big all of a sudden)

In fact, I left the theater right as the previews were starting, was probably out in the car for 20 minutes leisurely enjoying myself and my ways, went back in and got my usual small diet coke and two spit cups, took a leak, then went back into the theater and still had to sit through another 5 previews. What I've heard is that the 3D version only has 3, but I can tell you that the 2D version has like 15. So annoying.

Poto Yard selling beer is a nice feature though it takes them FOREVER to actually deliver your beer once you've ordered it. And they have a 2 beer minimum so I was only able to get three of them. My man Irish Jim managed four before they cut him off. Hey, it's a long movie.
oword

Relaxer

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2015, 02:39:18 pm »
It seemed like a huge stretch that a rando girl just happens to see a robot in a net and frees it and oh hey, is suddenly, coincidentally a big Force person, who learns how to use the Force in about 5 minutes. And why did the girl and Leia have this huge dramatic hug when they met? How do they know each other? Do they just sense "Ahhhh, I suspect the plot has big things in store for us!"

They said R2 put itself into sleep mode until Luke came back. He must have sensed Luke was back and turned on, duh.

They don't show it, but Darth Vader also takes off his helmet in the original trilogy at least twice. Both that and the Kylo Ren unveiling were pretty disappointing [pasty white raisin dude & emo looking dude]. The point of that is that he ISN'T Darth Vader and that he's a spoiled brat, hence why he's always butting heads with that other commander/general dude.

As for him always being there, isn't he the leader of the First Order army or whatever? He made it HIS personal mission to get that robot/map to Luke Skywalker. Not to mention as soon as they get to whats-her-face's hideout there is a First Order spy alerting them immediately that the robot is there. The robot holding the map to "the last jedi" that will "end the war" and "let the first order rule the galaxy".

And to be fair they DID say that Bb8 was a rare droid AND it didn't have any tracking devices the First Order could take advantage of AND they were hopping from system to system trying to avoid detection and it's 1 freaking droid out of thousands, if not millions, if not billions across how many solar systems? Even modern day we can barely locate ISIS members in caves let alone a long, LONG, time ago in a galaxy far far away ;)

As for the hug, I just figured it was "Oh man, you were a scrap girl and you just witnessed tons of shit go down and just got chased across the galaxy by the super evil First Order. You poor child." idk. That's what I thought it was. Just a motherly moment for Laia. I also think the sending of Rey to get Luke from his hideout was to show him The Force was still alive, seeing as how his family/friends had just been trying to get him to come back. Although I think it's shitty for him to leave when he knows Kylo Ren and the First Order are out there...

DFA, all of these are legitimate arguments that make some sense, except:

But Luke wasn't at all back. He was out hiking Old Rag on some planet when Rey showed up and harshed his mellow. Also, it would've been pretty funny if Rey had hiked all that way up the mountain and it turns out that's the day Luke felt like being lazy and just going to a movie instead.
oword

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2015, 03:06:00 pm »
I mean, R2 did have the remaining part of the map and maybe there was enough chatter of "well, we're screwed, this map is incomplete!" and it was like in Inception where he heard it really slowly and it jarred him out of sleep mode hahaha!
‼‼?‼‼

hemisphire

« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2015, 05:13:45 pm »
I mean, R2 did have the remaining part of the map and maybe there was enough chatter of "well, we're screwed, this map is incomplete!" and it was like in Inception where he heard it really slowly and it jarred him out of sleep mode hahaha!

That's exactly it, from http://www.ew.com/article/2015/12/20/jj-abrams-answers-burning-question-about-r2-d2-star-wars-force-awakens: "BB-8?s earlier question rattles around inside R2?s dome for a while. Those old astromechs must just take a while to boot up again."

Yada

« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2015, 05:18:03 pm »
My buzz action was on point. Fortunately, my youngest son opted to see the Chipmunk movie with some of the other younger wiener kids (lol at dopey dad Andrew agreeing to chaperone the little kid movie) and I had another dad with me at Star Wars so I was able to go out to the car with no problem and without guilt about leaving a group of 11 yr olds alone (which isn't really a concern -- these kids got pretty big all of a sudden)

In fact, I left the theater right as the previews were starting, was probably out in the car for 20 minutes leisurely enjoying myself and my ways, went back in and got my usual small diet coke and two spit cups, took a leak, then went back into the theater and still had to sit through another 5 previews. What I've heard is that the 3D version only has 3, but I can tell you that the 2D version has like 15. So annoying.

Poto Yard selling beer is a nice feature though it takes them FOREVER to actually deliver your beer once you've ordered it. And they have a 2 beer minimum so I was only able to get three of them. My man Irish Jim managed four before they cut him off. Hey, it's a long movie.

I hope you're chewing Copenhagen.

hutch

« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2015, 05:20:54 pm »
6 out of 10... damn....  worst review yet!

;D

Relaxer

« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2015, 05:30:42 pm »

I hope you're chewing Copenhagen.

oword

Relaxer

« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2015, 05:32:32 pm »
Copenhagen is the Guiness Stout of chewing tobacco. People who don't know chew think Cope is the strongest, most dangerous dip, but in the same way that Guiness has this reputation and yet is only like 4% abv, Copenhagen does not provide the same level of knock-yer-socks-off buzz that Kodiak does.
oword