Author Topic: 2015 - A Year in Photos  (Read 8762 times)

killsaly

2015 - A Year in Photos
« on: December 19, 2015, 07:46:12 pm »
Instead of clogging up the 2015 Concert and 2015 Year in Review threads with pictures, I would post some of my favorites from my Instagram account for the year, in chronological order.  I am not just posting concert pictures, but whatever ones I took that I want to share (though probably not too many super-personal ones...).  Comment and add your own pictures that you took!

January 2015
January's are always slow for me show wise.  This year I did not go to any until almost the end of the month, and the first I went to was Elisa Ambrogio over at the Crown.  She is always fun, and some of the pictures I took of her in 2013 at Hopscotch, were some of my favorites that year.  I thought this one came out good.  It was a bit dark in there, and this lo-fi shot was my favorite of the ones I took.

The last show I went to that month was at the Sidebar.  The first picture I really dug was of Crimson Wave.  They were playing their second to last show that night, and a sadness permeated the air.  Another low light/lofi image (i swear all mine are not this way), I feel like it captured the mood of their set. 

The last image of January is also from the Sidebar show.  This one of Wet Brain was taken during a set where the band was visibly agitated by the amount of pro cameras with flashes all set.  Unregistered Nurse implemented a policy limiting pro cameras for shows after this set.  I thought it captured how much they rock.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 08:05:31 pm by killsaly »

killsaly

Re: 2015 - A Year in Photos
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2015, 07:54:46 pm »
February 2015
February was also pretty light for me in regards to shows, but I did take a trip to a mountain for a ski weekend.  Unfortunately, that weekend was a blizzard and we had to deal with that craziness.

The ski lift was shut off because the power kept shutting down.  Thankfully everyone was able to salvage the trip and ski/snowboard the next day.

This one is of War on Women from their record release party at Metro Gallery.  I feel like this definitely captures Shawna's vibe.

This one was also from Metro Gallery.  I dig how this image half captures either a pro camera flash, or maybe part of the band's lightshow, to make it look like it is almost two different images between the top and bottom.

killsaly

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2015, 08:02:09 pm »
March 2015

Screaming Females at Windup Space was another chance for me to see Marissa show why she is my favorite guitar player to watch live.  She slays like most cant.  And at a height of 5 foot nothing, she has an energy and ferocity unmatched by any other.  She also is fun to photograph and makes fun faces.

The other one for March was this shot of Perfect Pussy.  It is hard to capture her energy in a photo.  I think this one does an ok job of that.

killsaly

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2015, 08:09:32 pm »
April 2015
I think this graffiti sums up 2015.  Taken on my walk to work in DC from my parking lot.

Noisem at Charm City Art Space!  It was an awesome afternoon show, and this lively picture of Noisem was my favorite of the day (but the Body was my favorite musically that day).

killsaly

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2015, 08:17:11 pm »
May 2015
May was the start of boating season.  This one is random picture of my fiancee's dad's boat and everyone chilling while we are docked in Annapolis during the first or second outing of the season.

Lightning Bolt masking up.  And then the chaos came.

I was doing a photo series of me taking pictures of people taking pictures... This was kind of like that.  I just thought this guy looked like he had a story to tell.  This was taken at a memorable night of pro-wrestling in Philadelphia with an American company and a Japanese company, having a crossover event.   

killsaly

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2015, 02:19:36 am »
June 2015

June was fun.  I went to the first ScapeScape that Jimmy did not plan/run.  It was a good time.  A couple highlights were my first two pictures. 

The first is Abdu Ali.  He was a powerful performer (this was my first time seeing him after enjoying his music for a few years) and had a style that was both intimate and distant.

This was the last day of the festival.  I included this picture because of the guy on the roof of the Crown in the background. 

We finally picked a venue for our wedding.

I really fell in love with Chastity Belt in 2015, and rank both their album and seeing them live, high on their respective lists.

killsaly

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2015, 02:24:54 am »
July 2015
Ring of Honor held their yearly event Death Before Dishonor in Baltimore, and I went with a big group of friends. I love the entrances.  This is but a fraction of the streamers that can fly when someone comes to the ring.

The last week of July is our yearly Delaware beach house trip.  This year was no different.

killsaly

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2015, 02:30:30 am »
August 2015
I have been a casual fan of Faith No More since the middle 1990s, and would have to rank their performance as my favorite/the "best" of the year for me. 

Towards the end of the month I finally saw one of my friend's bands, Birth (defects), play at the Ottobar. 

killsaly

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2015, 02:36:49 am »
September 2015
Seeing Pill on a whim after Swervedriver was a great idea.  Expect big things from this band.  This was their first time playing outside of NYC, and if they end up getting hype in the future, they deserve it.

I am thankful that Locrian always include Baltimore in their short tours.

Bombadillo was a good time.  I thought this Lower Dens picture looked cool.  They had a nice light setup and all of my pictures on that stage for night time were a multitude of colors.

killsaly

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2015, 02:53:33 am »
October 2015

October started off with the always excellent UNFest, and the first three pictures are my favorites from that weekend.

Sneaks

Downtown Boys (does anybody know how to get this effect on purpose?  This was on accident...)

Roomrunner last show

After that, Sun Ra Arkestra was my next favorite thing. The gentleman looking pissed off helping his bandmate in this image (even though he just did it without being asked) was my favorite of the group.

Expert Alterations are solid dudes, and a solid indie pop band.  Their record release show at the Crown as a fourpiece as a good time.

killsaly

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2015, 02:57:17 am »
November

November was a month of not many shows, and a trip to Alabama to visit with my fiancee's father's side of her family for a few days for Thanksgiving. 

Seeing Wing Dam a week before Thanksgiving was a highlight.  I also picked up one of their Miley Cyrus t-shirts, like bassist Sara Autrey is rocking in this picture.

One of my cats, cause why not?

killsaly

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2015, 03:01:16 am »
December 2015

There are still ten days, so maybe I will add some more pictures, but as for now, two from the show I went to earlier tonight at the Black Cat, and one, of my other cat.

This shot of Big Ups came out pretty cool.

Meredith Graves of Perfect Pussy leading a sing-a-long with her enthusiastic fans (moshing in dc?? who would have thought it...)

My other cat in a blanket cave.

Fin

hutch

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2015, 10:43:25 am »
very nice!

killsaly

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2015, 02:09:17 pm »
very nice!
Thanks!  I had a lazy Saturday yesterday... And was halfway done before I went out, so I finished when I got home.

Also, this was not meant to represent my whole life... Just some pictures and explanations of the pictures, that I wanted to share and that were my favorite from my instagram.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 03:38:49 pm by killsaly »

vansmack

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2015, 03:59:22 pm »
Great idea! 

Sturgill Simpson at the Fox Theater in Oakland (November):

« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 07:01:28 pm by vansmack »
27>34