Author Topic: Human Weight Issues  (Read 51071 times)

killsaly

Re: Human Weight Issues
« Reply #120 on: September 14, 2016, 09:52:15 pm »
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/athlete

1. (Athletics (Track & Field)) a person trained to compete in sports or exercises involving physical strength, speed, or endurance
2. a person who has a natural aptitude for physical activities

killsaly

« Reply #121 on: September 14, 2016, 09:54:23 pm »
/

Julian, White Poet WARLORD

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #122 on: September 15, 2016, 11:43:51 am »
LVMH

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #123 on: September 15, 2016, 12:07:17 pm »

« Reply #124 on: September 15, 2016, 12:21:00 pm »
Hath Jules listened to this? Thoughts?

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/589/tell-me-im-fat
Yes, and I was disgusted. I don't want to go into a full rant but allow me a few bullet points about this:

• Ira says in the opening that the episode is all about this topic and that we will hear from both sides. Fantastic: I look forward to equal time for anti-fat acceptance people on the episode. (SPOILER: not one such person is allowed to speak.)
  • The first real segment is with Lindy West telling us how fat shamers are the worst. She is given a one on one interview with Ira and her story is backed with piped in sad violin sounds. When she starts to overcome her feelings of fat shame, triumphant music is played.
  • Ira at one point literally says something like "some people say obesity speaks to a lack of self control, like obese people lack willpower to control how much they eat. That thought is just . . . gross." No, Ira, it's absolutely, inarguably true.
  • A second segment is with a woman who tried to diet. Having little success, she turns to drug use and surgery. She bemoans the fact that the husband she met while thin might not have liked her fat. She reveals she continues to take speed pills (which she acquires illegally, IIRC) to maintain her weight and wishes she had the confidence to have stayed fat. . . like LINDY WEST, who she calls a hero.
  • Third segment is a fat woman talking about how she embraced being fat after reading the inspirational writings of -- guess who! -- LINDY WEST.
  • Fourth segment is about Oral Roberts University in the 70s would require overweight students to take physical education classes. Literally this is the closest we come to any discussion of anti-fat acceptance: a program at a religious college 4 decades ago. Don't worry, they make sure to point out, apropos of nothing, that Oral Roberts handled snakes and believed in faith healing multiple times just to reinforce that the idea an overweight person should diet and exercise was the ravings of a loon.
  • Final segment: LINDY WEST bonus hour, telling the story of her engagement party. She purrs about how traditionally attractive and fit her husband is and how surprised people are to find out they're married and not brother or sister.

As a long time This American Life listener, I literally unsubscribed the moment I finished the podcast and have never re-subscribed. It was a disgusting shit on the face of journalism. It wasn't an unbiased look at a topic, it was a goddamn shill piece for hambeast infant terrible Lindy West. It hits all the #FatAcceptance talking points: all skinny people are unhappy and likely bordering on a disorder, all fat women are fierce and brave and heroes, and those fat women deserve to date attractive men. (Funny how fat men are never, ever, ever included in this movement ever at any time. I wonder why that is?) Any connection between self-control and weight is dismissed as "gross" and no even worthy of discussion. There is a constant finger pointing at thin people and talking how they have an inappropriate relationship with food, but never the same for an obese person. An hour long recitation of Mein Kamp would be less damaging to society than that hour of propoganda Ira Glass verbally shit on America.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 12:31:45 pm by Julian, the BELOVED »
LVMH

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #125 on: September 15, 2016, 12:27:47 pm »
Though I did not unsubscribe; it was a difficult listen for me as well.

« Reply #126 on: September 15, 2016, 12:30:46 pm »
Glad to hear it. It just defied all critical thinking. The sole purpose of every segment was to literally deny everything we know about the relationship of weight and health and to make Lindy West out to the second coming of Martin Luther King, Jr.
LVMH

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #127 on: September 15, 2016, 02:13:03 pm »
As a long time This American Life listener, I literally unsubscribed the moment I finished the podcast and have never re-subscribed.

one strike in almost 600 episodes, and they're out? 

you are listener equivalent of a single-issue voter.
<sig>

« Reply #128 on: September 15, 2016, 02:22:48 pm »
you are listener equivalent of a single-issue voter.
I will die on this hill, I tell you what.
LVMH

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #129 on: September 15, 2016, 02:39:30 pm »
Glad to hear it. It just defied all critical thinking. The sole purpose of every segment was to literally deny everything we know about the relationship of weight and health and to make Lindy West out to the second coming of Martin Luther King, Jr.

I came away from that episode thinking that I have to work on my bellyfat. I am the worst: skinnyfat.

« Reply #130 on: September 16, 2016, 02:38:02 pm »
LVMH

hutch

« Reply #131 on: September 16, 2016, 04:51:15 pm »
so what is the best way to combat belly fat? (please no dumb ass statements bout not drinking beer).. is there an exercise one can do at a gym?  or does one have to periodically go in for a vacumm suction?

Space Freely

« Reply #132 on: September 16, 2016, 04:56:50 pm »
so what is the best way to combat belly fat? (please no dumb ass statements bout not drinking beer).. is there an exercise one can do at a gym?  or does one have to periodically go in for a vacumm suction?

You're a straight guy. Why would you care? Was Lucinda mocking your obesity?

hutch

« Reply #133 on: September 16, 2016, 04:58:36 pm »

You're a straight guy. Why would you care? Was Lucinda mocking your obesity?

dude..Lucinda loved me... what a great time that show and after was....

I'm just curious.. I'm always trying to learn.. I have some people I know who have tremendous beer guts....WTF do people do to combat this? Even challenged talked about being "skinny fat"

But its no secret I loathe fat of any sort.. other than that to be found on a juicy steak...

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #134 on: September 16, 2016, 04:59:00 pm »

i don't believe you can "target" one area.  

your body happens stores most of its fat around the belly (as is the case with most men), so losing weight = belly will shrink most noticeably.
<sig>