Author Topic: Canine Weight Issues  (Read 2088 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Canine Weight Issues
« on: March 17, 2016, 01:18:53 pm »
my wonderful dog, Cirka, was recently told by her vet that her ribs had "a tad more fat on them than necessary."  she weights 45 pound, vet suggested that she might be better at 43.  she is completely healthy, ridiculously active (just ask Space, he and i had to chase her down once... didn't go well for us), looking at her you would not suspect that she is anything other than a perfectly normal healthy dog, etc.

should i fat-shame her into losing weight?  does that work? 

should i surround her bed with print-outs of non-representative fat crazies to show her the path she is inevitably headed down???
<sig>

Julian, White Poet WARLORD

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
Re: Canine Weight Issues
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2016, 01:23:40 pm »
So you're aware there's such a thing as a healthy weight for pets but not for human beings? OK then. . .
LVMH

Space Freely

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2016, 01:30:10 pm »
I forget how old Cirka is but you might try feeding her some of the dog food for mature dogs. Our dog was once a slightly overweight 46 pounds. I started feeding his the dog food for 7+ dogs last year and he now is a svelte 38 pounds, even though all he does is sleep all day. Maye that type of dog foos is less caloric? I don't really know but it's working. I daresay he's now the thinnest member of our family. Yet, he never fat shames the rest of us.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2016, 02:18:02 pm »
the fact that she might be 2 pounds "overweight" is not something i'm going to lose sleep over.  she oscillates quite a bit. come july the vet will likely tell us we should feed her more ;D

just like dogs, humans do indeed have an ideal weight range.  and like dogs, fat-shaming is completely ineffective.

she is 4 years old so in the prime of her adulthood.  no need for switching to geriatric dog food, yet.  if/when she slows down and stops chasing anything that moves, we'll get her on the geezer chow.

Good thinking. Perhaps the dog gets the other six ounces since he's underweight.
Have you computed your dog's BMI?

the app does not include cirka's breed.  the webmaster of that site, and its ISP, will be hearing from me!
<sig>

Julian, White Poet WARLORD

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2016, 02:25:21 pm »
the webmaster of that site, and its ISP, will be hearing from me!
The ladies at the yacht club shall hear of this!
LVMH

Space Freely

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2016, 02:27:05 pm »
My vet keeps insisting i need to drop a grand a year to get my dog's teeth cleaned, but i never do it.