Author Topic: the five, most important bands in your life  (Read 14571 times)

saintangelsin

Re: the five, most important bands in your life
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2016, 09:27:07 pm »
All the music that I like is important to me, and I do not think I could make a top list of what is more important to me than other music.  Also I do not think I would want to get that deep into my personal life and explain stuff like why I was obsessed with Modest Mouse starting in 2004.  Maybe one day if we ever hang in person.  I try to watch out what I put out there in the digital world; always have, and always will.

Glad to know I'm not the only one. I don't mind sharing stories as to why or how I love all this music.

I must say all these lists I've seen so far makes me smile a lot. It's a nice reminder that I'm still a part of a likeminded community of music nerds. Also that I'm not the only one who's had similar experiences with Fugazi, bikini kill, the smiths, the pixies, joy division & new order. And then there's Dylan and Bowie. (Is it any wonder I can't make a list?! Ahh)

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2016, 11:09:57 am »
Led Zeppelin
Queens Of The Stone Age
Death From Above 1979
The Doors
Pink Floyd
‼‼?‼‼

slappy

« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2016, 05:08:04 pm »
Starship
Damn Yankees
Mike + the Mechanics
Chickenfoot
The Firm

« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2016, 09:52:19 pm »
Led Zeppelin
Queens Of The Stone Age
Death From Above 1979
The Doors
Pink Floyd
only reason this surprises me it you are a DJ that I think would never play a song from one of these artists

...disclaimer, I've never heard or even know what genre the Clown Prince is
slack

« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2016, 09:52:41 pm »
Starship
Damn Yankees
Mike + the Mechanics
Chickenfoot
The Firm

That's solid!
slack

hutch

« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2016, 09:56:06 pm »
Starship
Damn Yankees
Mike + the Mechanics
Chickenfoot
The Firm

That's solid!

I don't know.. I'd like to see him substitute Seal for The Firm...

Kubacheck

« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2016, 10:05:24 pm »
Starship
Damn Yankees
Mike + the Mechanics
Chickenfoot
The Firm

I see a pattern here...  :)

« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2016, 10:08:38 pm »
Starship
Damn Yankees
Mike + the Mechanics
Chickenfoot
The Firm

That's solid!

I don't know.. I'd like to see him substitute Seal for The Firm...
I will say that one video
The Firm - Satisfaction Guaranteed
where page takes the beer bottle...quite honestly changed my life

unlike punk false promise...it really broke the boundary between the audience and the performer
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 10:10:37 pm by SideBernt |̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅| »
slack

walk,on,by

« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2016, 10:19:42 pm »
Thank you for your help and support to the thread, but each post would be that much more awesome if you give a brief description of why the band is so important to you.  If you can break it down to just 5 bands,  for your life . . . then I am sure they must mean something more than just a boring list of band names.

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2016, 10:34:34 pm »
Okie Dokie.

The Beatles - my first true love. The one you never forget. Greatest band ever and there is no arguing otherwise.

Led Zeppelin - the internet has exposed them as thieves but they were the first band I liked that my parents hated.

Sex Pistols - first punk band I ever heard.  They changed everything for me.  For the better.

Killing Joke - first "punk" band to really challenged me.  Has any other artist lasted 36+ years and remained as vital as they have? Nope. No one comes close.

The Replacements - the band I grew up with. The soundtrack to my drunken early 20s.

How's that?

walk,on,by

« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2016, 10:36:15 pm »
I, touched myself.

killsaly

« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2016, 01:15:12 am »
I am going to keep mine to music from my childhood to early teenage years.  I had to think about this one for a couple days. (also I might want to edit this later so feel free to not copy and paste this)

Neil Diamond - My mother loved his music and it was often the soundtrack of my 80s childhood (along with some of the stuff my dad really liked, like America and CCR, but I will have to go with Neil if I had to pick one).  I will forever be a huge fan of his music and I feel like he instilled in me a bit of a love for a good melody. 

Nirvana - They were the first "cool" band that I ever liked.  I actually got Nevermind because of the Weird Al parody.  When I heard that riff... I was sold.  One of my best friends and I would play the crap out of their discography (among way too much other stuff to list here and only pick five of) and I still have my cassette copy of In Utero sitting on my shelf in my home office with my other tapes, new and old.

the Beastie Boys - I did not get into the Beastie Boys until a bit after Check Your Head was released.  I had two uncles who are only like 6 and 7 years older than me, and they both had good sized CD collections - full of so much good stuff and a variety of it (especially Sam's collection).  They would let my cousin and I listen to their stuff and look through it, and found out about a lot of shit from doing that and reading their old Spin and Rolling Stones from over the years.   I grew up in the country - but not like it is where they are from.  They are from a place with like zero red lights.  300 people.  Anyway, I was able to check out stuff like Guns N Roses, Faith No More, NWA, Sonic Youth, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, RHCP, Dr Dre, Alice in Chains... Basically their house was a candy store for me when I became interested in music in 1992.  I always thought the Beastie Boys were the coolest.  I tried to dress a bit like them in junior high and would rap the lyrics with my friends.  Thankfully I was able to see them live at Virgin Fest 2007 and then again at their Bonnaroo set in 2009.  I wish I was old enough to go to shows during their Ill Communication or Check your Head days...

NoFX - I would have to say this was the first punk band that I heard and really enjoyed.  Young teen me dug the hell of Punk in Drublic... it was rebellious, it didn't give a fuck, and most importantly to shape my punk taste for at least the next decade, it sounded pretty good in the production department.  I had heard some 80s punk that sounded like crap and was not sold on them... But when my slightly older neighbor brought over Punk in Drublic - I was hooked.  After that I loved bands like Lagwagon, Swinging Utters, Down By Law, Bad Religion, Wizo, Frenzel Rhomb...

nine inch nails - The final band was hard to choose, but i guess I will go with nin.  In seventh grade I was hanging out a lot with Tammy, who was in my grade and a childhood friend of my best friend/neighbor.  Tammy's house was cool. Her mom would let us drink Schnapps and once took me to another town to go to a mall without my parents permission (I told her it would be fine, I got in trouble).  Tammy gave me my first CDs, before I had a CD player (Smashing Pumpkins - Today single with Hello Kitty Kat and Obscured on the B-side and the La Sexoristo album by White Zombie).  She was also into crazy (to me as a junior high student) music that I started to get into.  Her favorite band was nine inch nails.  She had the shirts.  All the releases.  I believe Broken was the first one I listened to and fell in love with, but also Pretty Hate Machine and the Downward Spiral. She also was down with a lot of the alternative stuff from the time, like Afghan Whigs and Matthew Sweet, and I became a fan as well.  Post script: when we got to high school she became a Christian and gave all of her CDs to myself and the mutual friend I mentioned, and gave us all of her nine inch nails band t shirts and videos and posters and basically all the devil shit... I think this phase lasted for a while.  We quit being friends, she moved off, but now I am friends with her on Facebook and she seems normal.  Back to nin, this was the first really dark music that I got into, and I think this colored my tastes to the present.  I have seen nine inch nails three times so far and plan to keep going. 

runner up: Pantera

Pantera was the first heavy band that I heard and liked. I ordered the Crow soundtrack off of BMG or Columbia House, and the first time I listened to it, with one of my friends, we immediately went to the music catalog to find more of their music with one of us saying "Can you imagine a whole album like this???"  Before that Metallica,  Guns N Roses, and MAYBE when our older neighbor played Iron Maiden, which I personally thought was lame till recently, was the heaviest stuff.  Far Beyond Driven was out (I guess this was 1994 or 95) and it was ordered and devoured.  I started playing music with my friends around 1996 and Pantera was definitely a big influence in the heaviness and style of the music we were doing.  The mail order method ending up being how I was able to get music, in my tiny town with a bs music shop across the river charging 18 bucks for a damn CD.

But this is still leaving off bands like Prodigy, that made me start listening to electronic music - or Aphex Twin a man who's music was played at crucial points, or Modest Mouse helping me get through depression post tragedy or Cloud Cult helping me through my first breakup with someone I dated for more than a couple of years, or the joy I get from the Polyphonic Spree... Or the Strokes, when I heard their debut I started migrating from listening to mostly dance music to mostly rock music... Or Radiohead... When I saw them at MPP in 2003 I started going to rock shows instead of raves/electronic music events...
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 01:29:11 am by killsaly »

Cock Van Der Palm

« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2016, 08:57:43 am »
Beatles
Springsteen
The Who
REM
The Banana Splits

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2016, 10:26:35 am »
Led Zeppelin
Queens Of The Stone Age
Death From Above 1979
The Doors
Pink Floyd
only reason this surprises me it you are a DJ that I think would never play a song from one of these artists

...disclaimer, I've never heard or even know what genre the Clown Prince is
I haven't listened to *just* Dance music my whole life. I'm El Salvadorean so I was raised on Latin music and hip hop. The rock side came from my stepdad, but I always listened to everything. "Clown Prince" plays mostly Dance music, but if I'm DJing by myself all night I'll always throw in 80s stuff, random 90s rock songs, and tons of pop stuff to keep people guessing. I listen to everything! Rock and Roll owns my heart though. Although if it was top 6, Daft Punk is right there.
‼‼?‼‼

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2016, 11:05:54 am »
Pink Floyd --> Dead --> LCD Soundsystem
Smashing Pumpkins --> Silversun Pickups
Dylan --> Neil Young --> Neutral Milk Hotel --> Mountain Goats
Velvet Underground --> Bowie --> R.E.M.
Zeppelin --> White Stripes --> Jack White

This list is imperfect
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 11:43:15 am by ja,ded »