Author Topic: the five, most important bands in your life  (Read 14568 times)

walk,on,by

the five, most important bands in your life
« on: April 02, 2016, 02:11:29 pm »
1.  pink Floyd -  when I lost my mind for a while when teenaged angst met the understandings of the trials of living as a soon to be adult hit, the wall and dark side controlled me and really contained the negative feelings inside tight.  no other music mattered but them and I loved the emotional issues it gave me.  don't listen to pink Floyd if you have mental problems.

2.  the dead milkmen  -  back after that, but still in the youth of high school days, this band got me through when I was feeling like a weirdo and some kind of introverted dork who could not relate to the jock or the redneck or the party people.  the dead milkmen speak to the unwelcome.

3.  ween -  the pod and pure guava were two albums that defined my upbringing when I became senior year and what was to be as a post high school into college craziness, where I finally blossomed into a socialable functioning freak.  ween helped me learn how to party.

4.  dinosaur jr.  -  I do love heavy guitar oriented music, and always have.  j defines what heavy and guitar god should be, to me.  never changing, always destroying.  yes, older age has mellowed the man, but during the days of green mind and where you been, my neck muscles from head banging and face muscles from smiling during solos, never hurt so good.

5.  phish  -  they were the band that started it all for me into jam.  this guy played  me a shitty sounding tape of a live show he got from trading god knows who for, and I just fell in love.  how does that happen?  you just listen and then you can't stop, and you have to see them and you have to find other people who listen to them and you have to then listen to every other damn jam band because you love that first band, so much.

the end.

killsaly

Re: the five, most important bands in your life
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2016, 02:32:39 pm »
Currently, or, of all time?

walk,on,by

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2016, 03:05:10 pm »
I think, since the fact I chronicled my loser self as a human pupa, with music, I would say . . . all time.

saintangelsin

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2016, 04:12:06 pm »
I wish from the bottom of my heart that I could give a serious list. So many bands meant the world to me growing up and still mean a lot to me even now. I could easily write a book that would just be a giant love letter to all the bands I have loved. I know that I can name 2 bands right now that would always be on this list, but the other three spots is impossible for me. Also, if this was to include solo artists, I would absolutely be in deep shit. Oh the angst of being a music nerd.

Space Freely

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2016, 05:49:25 pm »
I no order,

The Smiths
The Rolling Stones Drive By Truckers
Old 97's
Wilco
Neil Young

but that list is so male-centric so I'll add:

Lucinda Williams
Gillian Welch
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 03:07:27 pm by Space Freely »

hutch

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2016, 06:50:16 pm »
well I think he said "bands" so I take that to not include "solo acts".....

Space Freely

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2016, 07:03:25 pm »

A majority of bands have one chief songwriter/leader, and some other people playing with that person because that person can't play all the instruments on their own at the same time. Whether they call themselves some faux moniker "band name" or go by their birth name seems like a technicality, doesn't it?

gavroche

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2016, 07:40:32 pm »
1) Fugazi - The kings of the DC scene that got me through middle school/high school when I felt terribly out of place and very lost and unsettled.  A relatively wholesome and protective scene that really helped me mature and grow. I am forever thankful that shows were all ages, that there was a straight edge component and that it really wasn't violent. 
2) Bikini Kill - Huge influence on my world view.  It was only much later that I realized just how much. 
3) Bob Dylan - Made me think about social justice in important ways.  Definitely helped shape my world view.  I wish that he wasn't such a disagreeable weirdo now, but his political music is still poignant to me even 50 years later.
4) Pete Seeger - Was really important to me at two distinct points in my life.  As a really young kid Pete Seeger sings animal songs was absolutely my favorite album and I listened to that thing till we'd worn the grooves down.  Later his labor songs were a huge part of my thought evolution.
5) Dead Kennedys - Yet another one of those bands that shaped my world view.  My cousin gave me a cassette of the Dead Kennedys when I was too young to understand them and what they were about.  I also thought the music was just horrible but I absolutely looked up to him so I kept trying.  Took me a long while before I appreciated it but no question is had a huge influence on my politics at a young age that continues today.

hutch

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2016, 07:43:51 pm »

A majority of bands have one chief songwriter/leader, and some other people playing with that person because that person can't play all the instruments on their own at the same time. Whether they call themselves some faux moniker "band name" or go by their birth name seems like a technicality, doesn't it?

your own list belies your assertion as the Smiths had two songwriters working together as did the Stones... moreover, a "band" is usually a working "live unit"....the Stones without Charlie Watts on drums are hard to imagine.... even on record- sometimes- his contributions have been very noticeable.. he has a very distinctive drumming style....

Wilco is definitely the Jeff Tweedy show and calling them a band is a joke...... I dont' know who does what in the Old 97s......

Crazy Horse matters a lot to a hell of a lot of Neil Young fans....and Neil....

hutch

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2016, 07:50:34 pm »

4) Pete Seeger - Was really important to me at two distinct points in my life.  As a really young kid Pete Seeger sings animal songs was absolutely my favorite album and I listened to that thing till we'd worn the grooves down.  Later his labor songs were a huge part of my thought evolution.

I count myself very lucky to have seen him live around 2000....a privilege...

killsaly

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2016, 10:43:38 pm »
nine inch nails.  Nirvana.  Beastie Boys.  Radiohead.  Master P.

killsaly

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2016, 10:51:09 pm »
Placebo.  the Strokes.  Neil Diamond.  Cat Stevens.  CCR.

killsaly

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2016, 10:54:25 pm »
Pantera.  Helmet.  Quicksand.  Sepultura.  Metallica.

killsaly

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2016, 11:30:16 pm »
Modest Mouse.  Death Cab for Cutie.  The Polyphonic Spree.  Pearl Jam.  Pink Floyd.

walk,on,by

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2016, 12:10:11 am »
Stop, cheating.  And please give some lengthy diatribe as to why such 5 bands control,  you so.  Please.