Author Topic: Fun Facts to Share With Your Friends & Contemporaries  (Read 6897 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: Fun Facts to Share With Your Friends & Contemporaries
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2016, 03:07:55 pm »
Badminton has a legitimate claim to the title of World's Fastest Racquet-Based Sport. Smashes of badminton birdies have been clocked at double the initial speed of top men's tennis serves.

are you talking abour racket speed of the speed of the shuttle cock vs the tennis ball?
The maximum speed achieved by the shuttlecock vs the maximum speed achieved by the tennis ball. (Admittedly, by its very nature, the badminton shuttlecock decelerates from its maximum speed at a more dramatic rate than a tennis ball.)

https://www.rio2016.com/en/news/badminton-the-world-s-fastest-racket-sport

right, maximum speed - what about average speed? 
<sig>

Julian, White Poet WARLORD

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2016, 03:16:09 pm »
Badminton has a legitimate claim to the title of World's Fastest Racquet-Based Sport. Smashes of badminton birdies have been clocked at double the initial speed of top men's tennis serves.

are you talking abour racket speed of the speed of the shuttle cock vs the tennis ball?
The maximum speed achieved by the shuttlecock vs the maximum speed achieved by the tennis ball. (Admittedly, by its very nature, the badminton shuttlecock decelerates from its maximum speed at a more dramatic rate than a tennis ball.)

https://www.rio2016.com/en/news/badminton-the-world-s-fastest-racket-sport

right, maximum speed - what about average speed? 
That was not the fun fact I was sharing.

I would imagine -- if there is even way to take continuous instantaneous speeds of the object as it accelerates and decelerates repeatedly and create a statistical model that would work for that -- I would assume badminton would trail tennis, squash, and racquetball.
LVMH

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2016, 03:23:24 pm »
I bet golf balls are faster.

LVMH

vansmack

« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2016, 04:01:56 pm »
The Canadians claim otherwise.

So not real scientists...

Also, they should adjust the baseball statistic because the ball off the bat is faster than the ball being pitched. 

If other stats use the tools to calculate speed, so should the baseball stat. I know they didn't because it would make it faster than hockey and well, Canadians can't have that, but last years fastest hit ball was 120+mph.
27>34

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2016, 04:04:30 pm »
Wait, don't they even use the metric system?  That throws the whole thing into question.

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2016, 04:08:47 pm »
You know, I knew as soon as I added my initial comment to this thread -- despite it being a great fun fact everyone could share with their friends and contemporaries with the Olympics (the one time every four years badminton is even possibly on TV) a few days away -- that it would just descend into a large circlejerk of people desperate to PROVE this meaningless novelty fact UNTRUE because JULIAN.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 04:11:52 pm by Julian, the BELOVED »
LVMH

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2016, 04:11:12 pm »
Aww, don't let them get you down.  They couldn't stop you from counting.

« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2016, 04:12:29 pm »
slack

LVMH

vansmack

« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2016, 04:56:29 pm »
it would just descend into a large circlejerk of people desperate to PROVE this meaningless novelty fact UNTRUE because JULIAN.

I never disagreed with you.  If anything, I added to the discussion by pointing out that Canadians aren't real scientists - FACTS ONLY.

And I noted that they should correct their baseball statistic.  That is all.
27>34