Author Topic: Favorite Prince song and album  (Read 31163 times)

hutch

Favorite Prince song and album
« on: April 21, 2016, 04:55:51 pm »
My favorite Prince song is Purple Rain.. just so gut wrenching.. and even at nearly 9 minutes (I think) it still feels like it ends too early.....Didn't he do it at the Super Bowl? He was amazing at that Super Bowl...

My favorite prince album has to be Sign of the Times.... so many killer songs on that one....

what a huge loss..I really thought we would have him around for another good 20 years....and I was looking forward to it...

bob72

Re: Favorite Prince song and album
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2016, 05:16:40 pm »
My Prince era was pretty much Controversy through Parade, and like most would probably gravitate toward Purple Rain as an entire album, but songs that have always stuck with me:

1. Purple Rain
2. Girls and Boys
3. Kiss
and last but not least... Erotic City
PENIS

Yada

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2016, 05:19:14 pm »
Shit... not really possible to pick. One of those artists who just has too much of a catalog... also, kind of like walky's thread of picking your five favorite artists in life, can't do it... but right now, this song is ragin' in casa de yada.

House Quake followed by Eye No.

bearman🐻

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2016, 05:23:55 pm »
Listening to Dirty Mind instantly made me feel better today.

hutch

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2016, 05:27:27 pm »
I'm glad a few years ago when I started collecting records I made a cardinal rule "ALWAYS BUY PRINCE!"

just one of those guys.. pure quality for an incredibly long period

Erotic City always blew me away! "THIS is a b-side????

hutch

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2016, 05:34:59 pm »
Sometims it snows in April has always been one of my favorites...

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2016, 06:02:00 pm »
The twitterbot @ObiqueBot spits out a random Oblique Strategies card a few times a day. As the first reports were coming in, it posted:

😐 🎶

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2016, 06:31:52 pm »
Listening to Dirty Mind instantly made me feel better today.

I was listening to Uptown and marveling at the fact that Prince plays damn near everything on that record, other than some keyboard parts.  Man is that track a monster from the bass line, drums, guitars...
T.Rex

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2016, 06:53:21 pm »
Pretty sure my first Prince record was the "Let's Work" 12" and I honestly thing the 12" version of Kiss is my favorite.  I alwyas grin at the bit at end where a couple discusses seeing Prince on TV.

Wow do I have a lot of Prince oddities, starting with at least one of the Madhouse records and a couple 12" from that project.  I also dug out "Come" and Chaos and Disorder".  Plus that kinda ill fated Crystal Ball release that was months late in being released, for the first really large scale fan funded releases.  I really need to find my copy of "Around the World in a Day", kinda of amazing he release a record with psychedelic vibe right after 1999..
T.Rex

hutch

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2016, 07:34:22 pm »
Pretty sure my first Prince record was the "Let's Work" 12" and I honestly thing the 12" version of Kiss is my favorite.  I alwyas grin at the bit at end where a couple discusses seeing Prince on TV.

Wow do I have a lot of Prince oddities, starting with at least one of the Madhouse records and a couple 12" from that project.  I also dug out "Come" and Chaos and Disorder".  Plus that kinda ill fated Crystal Ball release that was months late in being released, for the first really large scale fan funded releases.  I really need to find my copy of "Around the World in a Day", kinda of amazing he release a record with psychedelic vibe right after 1999..

right after Purple Rain

I got a ton of those 12" singles..they are great....I'm going chronological.. just starting Dirty Mind which is the first Prince record where he really became the Prince...even if I wanna be your lover is killer..

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2016, 07:42:37 pm »

right after Purple Rain

I got a ton of those 12" singles..they are great....I'm going chronological.. just starting Dirty Mind which is the first Prince record where he really became the Prince...even if I wanna be your lover is killer..

oh oops and i have bunch of the 12"s a well
T.Rex

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2016, 07:56:14 pm »
Someone on top of their game in NYC

https://twitter.com/raju/status/723273790336172032
T.Rex

Yada

Bagley