Author Topic: Is the MGM National Harbor bad for DC concert goers?  (Read 14361 times)

Yada

Re: Is the MGM National Harbor bad for DC concert goers?
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2016, 11:56:48 am »
Expenses are more in DC than Richmond/Norfolk/etc., Sherlock.
Then I ask you again: to what would you attribute the fact that I virtually never see a price difference between Black Cat and a similarly sized Richmond or Charlottesville venue?

Example: Jean Jacket Joe and the Bombers play Black Cat or some dump in Norfolk. No matter where you live, guys like az and killsally aren't going to pay more than $8 to $12 to see Jean Jacket Joe and the Bombers.

Example: Wilco plays 930 Club and some dump in Norfolk. Guys like Space will dig deep into their thrifty pockets to maybe pay $60 give or take to see Wilco rock their dad asses off at the 930 Club. While that dump down in Norfolk can most likely only get people to splurge $35 for that show.

Make sense?

Julian, White Poet WARLORD

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2016, 12:02:49 pm »
Make sense?
You just made an argument that Space is throwing cash around willy-nilly and you're asking me if it makes sense?

I would point out that by conceding as part of your version of events that 9:30 Club shows are pricier than anywhere else in a 6-hour driving radius around DC that you've de facto agreed with my central point that Seth isn't giving us super cheap, competitively-priced concerts because he loves us or whatever OP was on about.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 12:04:50 pm by Julian, the BELOVED »
LVMH

Yada

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2016, 12:06:30 pm »
Make sense?
You just made an argument that Space is throwing cash around willy-nilly and you're asking me if it makes sense?

I would point out that by conceding as part of your version of events that 9:30 Club shows are pricier than anywhere else in a 6-hour driving radius around DC that you've de facto agreed with my central point that Seth isn't giving us super cheap, competitively-priced concerts because he loves us or whatever OP was on about.

Wait.. what are we talking about? Bottom line, you can charge more in DC and the savvy business man Seth is doing just that (Hai Seth!!).

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2016, 01:00:34 pm »
Maybe "competitively priced" wasn't the best adjective to use as I only attend shows in the District. Basically all I care about is that that the indie bands I like don't end up playing MGM...which is what I am afraid of.

Space Freely

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2016, 01:10:41 pm »
How "indie" is a band if they're playing the same venue as Cher?

Julian, White Poet WARLORD

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2016, 01:20:10 pm »
Belle & Sebastian & Baccarat sounds like a hell of an evening.
LVMH

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2016, 01:45:06 pm »

Good point...sort of.

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2016, 01:45:26 pm »
Belle & Sebastian & Baccarat sounds like a hell of an evening.

Sure would be...if I didn't have to drive to get there.

ggw

hutch

« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2016, 05:25:34 pm »
for many shows 930 Club charges a "best club in the nation" premium.... and although it may seem expensive just remember to divide it by two...

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2016, 07:48:58 pm »
Good point. How much extra would you be willing to pay to see a concert at the best venue in the nation?

hutch

« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2016, 07:30:46 am »
anyways back to the MGM venue.. they are booking some rock: Kings of Leon/Panic at the disco

I just can't see ever going there.. I mean its in Prince George's County, right?

gavroche

« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2016, 07:44:13 am »
anyways back to the MGM venue.. they are booking some rock: Kings of Leon/Panic at the disco

I just can't see ever going there.. I mean its in Prince George's County, right?

I am sure there will be a band or two I want to see come there.  It seems to me the type of place that Dylan or Prince would have played at some point in their careers.  Getting there is a pretty big hurdle for me though.  It will take a lot.

Space Freely

« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2016, 09:08:32 am »

I am sure there will be a band or two I want to see come there.  It seems to me the type of place that Dylan or Prince would have played at some point in their careers.  Getting there is a pretty big hurdle for me though.  It will take a lot.

Do you lack a drivers license?

gavroche

« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2016, 10:25:23 am »

Do you lack a drivers license?

No, but I live in the city and so don't need or have a car.