Author Topic: Peter Hook solo  (Read 5304 times)

Thousand Made-Up Loves

Peter Hook solo
« on: November 16, 2016, 11:53:19 pm »
Saw Peter Hook's band is playing Howard Theater the night before Thanksgiving and playing the Substance album. Anyone seen him? Worth the $35? Was an impulsively big New Order fan in college about 10 years go. Recently discovered the band.

I know Sumner and Hook are not close and obviously tour separately. Just wondering if it was worth the money.

hutch

Re: Peter Hook solo
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2016, 08:16:10 am »
note he is doing the Joy Division Substance album and the New Order Substance album

bearman🐻

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2016, 11:12:41 am »
Saw Peter Hook's band is playing Howard Theater the night before Thanksgiving and playing the Substance album. Anyone seen him? Worth the $35? Was an impulsively big New Order fan in college about 10 years go. Recently discovered the band.

I know Sumner and Hook are not close and obviously tour separately. Just wondering if it was worth the money.

Every freakin' dime. He plays close to 3 hours. His performances are better than any New Order show I've ever seen. Don't even hesitate. If I were in town I'd be there. So bummed to miss this one. He's the real deal and can handle Ian and Bernard's vocals really well. (He did a lot of backing vocals in Joy Division, which I think a lot of people forgot about). "Dead Souls" alone will be worth the money in my book.

Relaxer

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2016, 11:29:59 am »
Is the Howard reserved/seated or general/standing?
oword

bearman🐻

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2016, 11:33:26 am »
GA but I believe they have tables too.

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2016, 03:50:15 pm »
note he is doing the Joy Division Substance album and the New Order Substance album

Makes me glad I asked! I am much more familiar with New Order than Joy Division but I am open to the JD Substance.

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2016, 03:50:32 pm »
Every freakin' dime. He plays close to 3 hours. His performances are better than any New Order show I've ever seen. Don't even hesitate. If I were in town I'd be there. So bummed to miss this one. He's the real deal and can handle Ian and Bernard's vocals really well. (He did a lot of backing vocals in Joy Division, which I think a lot of people forgot about). "Dead Souls" alone will be worth the money in my book.

Thank you!

betao

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2016, 07:41:33 am »
Saw him twice a number of years ago doing JD shows. He does a great job, his delivery on the music is solid. Haven't seen any of his New Order shows but I'd like to.

So yes, I'd recommend it as well.

hutch

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2016, 08:52:44 am »
well the set list is going to be a dream is the thing...at least for me... can't wait to hear "Atmosphere".... I just read Hook considers it Joy Division's greatest song.. hard not to go with Love Will Tear Us Apart but Atmosphere is amazing...

I'll be curious to see how they handle the synthesizers which became so pervasive in New Order's music.. when I saw Hook at the 930 he was doing the Joy Division stuff which didn't feature much in the way of synths...

setlist will be like:

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/peter-hook/2016/republic-new-orleans-la-23fa7c07.html

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2016, 11:13:10 am »
so it's not JD's substance (Which I love) or NO substance
but BOTH!

Kinda of weird that he's doing Bernard Vocals?
1963 is one of my favoites and can't see anyone but BS doing it

I may have to go to this show...but I may need a place to sleep for a week as I'm going to be dog house
slack

hutch

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2016, 02:20:47 pm »
so it's not JD's substance (Which I love) or NO substance
but BOTH!

Kinda of weird that he's doing Bernard Vocals?
1963 is one of my favoites and can't see anyone but BS doing it

I may have to go to this show...but I may need a place to sleep for a week as I'm going to be dog house

well yeah its BOTH.. which to me makes it really great...

I have no idea what he's singing, who is singing or who is playing what.. I just know those two records have a lot of my favorite songs

bearman🐻

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2016, 03:19:41 pm »
Peter Hook splitting from New Order was actually the best possible thing for him. I think he's getting a lot of respect and he seems to be having an amazing time. His concerts are so much fun. He's having a great time and playing a lot of material that New Order would never touch. His band is wonderful. I was skeptical they could do justice to the Joy Division material but I've seen them 3 times now and I enjoy it more every time I see them. When they do the vocals to "Dead Souls" I had full-on chills and the hair on the back of my neck stood up. It was incredible. And hopefully the audience will sing along to it too...makes it even better.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2016, 03:50:28 pm »
And hopefully the audience will sing along to it too...makes it even better.

if i wanted to hear that, i'd go to a shitty karaoke bar and save myself $35.

</space>
<sig>

bearman🐻

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2016, 04:48:21 pm »
And hopefully the audience will sing along to it too...makes it even better.

if i wanted to hear that, i'd go to a shitty karaoke bar and save myself $35.

</space>

They sing "Dead Souls" in karaoke bars? Wow. I need to go sing karaoke more often.