Author Topic: Is that a hydrometer in your pocket or are you just happy to see me  (Read 47849 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: Is that a hydrometer in your pocket or are you just happy to see me
« Reply #150 on: April 27, 2023, 12:18:29 pm »
brewing a doppelbock today.  an amazing craft maltster in central oregon, Mecca Grade, is shutting down their operations so i recently snagged several sacs of their grains.  already brewed a classic pilsner with their pils malt (100% pils, only Saaz hops - SMaSH!).  using the yeast cakes from those for the doppel which will be 50% pils & 50% munich malt, all Saaz.  not often that i brew with such simple grain bills, it's a tad unnerving... must resist temptation to add anything else.  maybe i should name one of these beers "death to tweakers".
<sig>

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #151 on: April 27, 2023, 12:22:45 pm »
- a rich benefactor bankrolls the brewery and stays out of the day-to-day operations.  i'll get him/her to profitability... eventually.  essentially, it would be someone else's vanity project and i would be its caretaker/mad scientist.
What advantages would Julian’s America receive from this “brewery” over, say, a train? Which we could also afford.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2023, 12:26:07 pm by Julian, Adroit TASTEMAKER »
LVMH

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #152 on: April 27, 2023, 12:25:54 pm »
- a rich benefactor bankrolls the brewery and stays out of the day-to-day operations.  i'll get him/her to profitability... eventually.  essentially, it would be someone else's vanity project and i would be its caretaker/mad scientist.
What would be the advantage to Julian’s America funding a brewery over, say, buying a railroad, which we could also afford?

while vanity vineyards are much more common among the JA set, there are a few vanity breweries out there as well. 

advantage?  you get beer out of it instead of wine or a smelly locomotive, i suppose... ;-D
<sig>

« Reply #153 on: September 27, 2023, 06:38:34 pm »
Welp, I'm now registered in U of Richmond's Professional Beer Brewer Certificate Program.
(although classes are in Manassas)
I'm a spider baby!

on a related note, a person I know has a winery (where my airstream currently resides as an Airbnb) and wants me to help her start brewing beer to serve at her winery 

slack

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #154 on: September 27, 2023, 07:40:42 pm »
Welp, I'm now registered in U of Richmond's Professional Beer Brewer Certificate Program.
(although classes are in Manassas)
I'm a spider baby!
This is Hutch’s bad influence at work.
LVMH

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #155 on: September 28, 2023, 02:56:11 pm »

CONGRATS!!!  exciting development... once you learn everything about brewing, imma hit you up with some Q's ;D
<sig>

« Reply #156 on: October 27, 2023, 09:36:29 am »
Seriously...this was the best part of my Homebrew set up

Brewjacket has been discontinued

I think I'm going to make a fermentation chamber soon anyway, but I've recommended this product to so many new brewers.
They even repaired my unit twice since I've owned it...guess that won't happen again

This guy came up with a great solution
https://ballandkeg.com/products/temperature-control-coil
at $60 a great alternative for 5 Gal homebrewers (still have to buy inkbird)
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #157 on: October 31, 2023, 08:14:36 pm »
Seriously...this was the best part of my Homebrew set up

Brewjacket has been discontinued

like craft brewing, homebrewing is on the downswing... :(

(still have to buy inkbird)

if you wanna save a few pennies, keep an eye on https://www.homebrewfinds.com/ (or sign up for their newsletter, or follow them on X) - inkbirds go on sale a few times a year. 

also, you'll need a small submersible pump.  harbor freight has them for cheap.
<sig>