Author Topic: End of Year Lists: Best Albums of 2016  (Read 7406 times)

hutch

End of Year Lists: Best Albums of 2016
« on: December 07, 2016, 11:05:03 am »
If this doesn't ferret Killsally out of hiding nothing will..

my initial list.. I'm working on adding a few to it...the three best really hit me

1. Lucinda Williams- Ghosts of Highway 20
- this was by far the best thing that came out for me.

2. Red Hot Chili Peppers- The Getaway
3. Underworld- Barbara

----------------------------------------------------------------------
4.Mudcrutch - 2
5.Dinosaur Jr- the new one whatever its called
6. David Bowie- Blackstar
7. Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds- the Skeleton Key or whatever
8. Dean Ween Band- The Deaner Album

dissapointing; Pet Shop Boys, Wilco
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 04:00:28 pm by hutch »

Julian, White Poet WARLORD

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
Re: End of Year Lists: Best Albums of 2016
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2016, 11:21:19 am »
If we're just spit-balling ideas, I'm pretty sure you leaving/getting banned would get the job done.
LVMH

hutch

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2016, 11:23:35 am »
If we're just spit-balling ideas, I'm pretty sure you leaving/getting banned would get the job done.

Why would I leave or get banned? Say didn't you vote me Boardie of the Year?

You're giving me whiplash..

I think if Killsally wants to come back it would be OK.. I promise to make a huge effort to not tick him off if he can do likewise with me....also I will not bring up his personal indulgences

walkie,talkie

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2016, 11:25:13 am »
so wrong on dinosaur jr  give a glimpse of what yer not.  not a great album.  weak weak effort from the old god of guitar.

hutch

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2016, 11:27:50 am »
so wrong on dinosaur jr  give a glimpse of what yer not.  not a great album.  weak weak effort from the old god of guitar.

umm.. 4.5 stars from All Music Guide (highest since Beyond.. also 4.5 from users!).. and the following from my favorite music critic.. if anyone is wrong it is you Walkster!

AllMusic Review by Stephen Thomas Erlewine  [-]
Arriving four years after 2012's I Bet on Sky -- the longest stretch of time between albums since Dinosaur Jr. became an active band again in 2007 -- Give a Glimpse of What Yer Not doesn't offer any surface surprises, at least not along the lines of the roaring reunion of 2007's Beyond, or the keyboard colorings of I Bet on Sky. That's not to say Give a Glimpse of What Yer Not doesn't surprise, because it does -- namely, it shocks by sounding as vital as Dinosaur Jr. ever has. Deciding to not to build upon the expansive textures of I Bet on Sky, the trio nevertheless sounds vividly oversaturated throughout Give a Glimpse of What Yer Not. Certainly, J Mascis generates these brilliant colors through his guitar, with his riffs buzzing against each other and providing dense contrast to his piercing, lyrical solos, but the vigor of Lou Barlow and Murph is equally bracing. Beneath the fuzz, there are dexterous rhythms -- often, there's considerable air to the roar, making the music almost groove -- which gives Give a Glimpse of What Yer Not a visceral thrill, and if that's all it delivers it'd be enough, but the tunes are among the strongest sets of songs Mascis and Barlow have ever written. As always, Barlow gets two numbers, but the heavy jangle of "Love Is?" and the stuttering, bone-tired closer "Left/Right" complement Mascis, who alternates between hooky-heavy pop, weary urban country, and creeping sludge. While none of these may be new, the execution of it all, from composition to performance, means that Give a Glimpse of What Yer Not feels fresh, which is quite an achievement for a band approaching the tenth anniversary of its reunion.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 11:29:38 am by hutch »

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2016, 11:31:22 am »
Why would I leave or get banned?
I have no idea. I'm just saying killsaly would almost certainly return in that case.

Say didn't you vote me Boardie of the Year?
Yes. Trump/Hutch 2016.
LVMH

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2016, 11:31:51 am »
I thought it was really good and am excited for the Raleigh show on my birthday.
LVMH

Space Freely

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2016, 11:33:33 am »
Thanks Hutch for starting this thread. I was going to do so myself soon if nobody else did. I've been working on my list and expect it to be done soon.

Can we please make a rule to keep personal lists to 20 albums of less? And to not try to get around that by creating five different genre lists? Any more than 20 pp and I'm pretty sure people's eyes are going to glaze over. Assuming anyone on here even cares to begin with.

hutch

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2016, 11:37:28 am »
Thanks Hutch for starting this thread. I was going to do so myself soon if nobody else did. I've been working on my list and expect it to be done soon.

Can we please make a rule to keep personal lists to 20 albums of less? And to not try to get around that by creating five different genre lists? Any more than 20 pp and I'm pretty sure people's eyes are going to glaze over. Assuming anyone on here even cares to begin with.

yes please keep to 20 or less. .ideally 10 actually.... I'm talking FAVORITES here .. the best.. albums you really like...  albums fellow boardies may not have heard but may wish to check out...

Relaxer

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2016, 11:46:17 am »
In my opinion, quoting Allmusic as a credible source of music criticism is very laughable.

Anyway, here's my top ten, with 5  honorable mentions

Baby Queens -- Baby Queens
Bowie -- Black Star
HyunA -- A'wesome
Laboum -- Love Sign
Rival Sons -- Hollowed Bones
Beyonce -- Lemonade
Bolbbalgan4 -- Red Planet
Whitney -- Light upon the Lake
Thee Oh Sees -- A Weird Exits
The Barberettes -- The Barberettes

Casket Girls -- Night Machines
Case/Lang/Viers -- Case/Lang/Viers
Robbie Williams - Heavy Entertainment Show
Nothing -- Tired of Tomorrow
L.A. Girlfriend -- Neon Grey
oword

hutch

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2016, 11:52:45 am »
In my opinion, quoting Allmusic as a credible source of music criticism is very laughable.

Just curious.. why is that? I find Erlewine to be a really good critic..

Do you just find the idea of critics laughable in general or do you have something with AMG?

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2016, 11:55:02 am »
I thought it was really good and am excited for the Raleigh show on my birthday.

he was boring on at midnight at 11:30

Relaxer

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2016, 11:56:53 am »

Do you just find the idea of critics laughable in general or do you have something with AMG?

I think AMG typically employs anyone who can put two words together and that they're a cookie-cutter operation looking to mass-produce content. I admit I don't know who Erlewine is, but I just don't think AMG is a place to look for insightful commentary on music. Just my opinion, as I said.
oword

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2016, 12:04:15 pm »

Allmusicguide is an excellent source for factual music information (e. g. biographies, discographies, similar/related acts, etc) and the sheer amount of bands its cataloged is stunning. AMG as a source for highlighting what music is good and what is not (i. e. criticism) is subpar.
LVMH