Author Topic: Sturgill Simpson  (Read 4371 times)

K8teebug

Sturgill Simpson
« on: February 16, 2017, 10:21:00 am »
So, I went to the show at Rams Head Live and it was possibly the WORST audience I've ever been in EVER. Drunk old frat dudes high on coke and drunk and acting like total assholes, people more concerned about drinking and talking loudly than watching a show, complete lack of concern for anyone who actually came to hear the music.

Do you think that's what I'd be walking into at Merriweather, or would it be more like a show? I'm not interested in plunking down another 100 bucks to really hate everyone around me.

I'm fine with people being f'ed up at shows, but most shows I go to, people are at least pretending to pay attention.

Thanks in advance for your opinion.

Space Freely

Re: Sturgill Simpson
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 10:26:01 am »
I saw him at Gypsy Sally's back in 2014 (I don't even think he was the headliner, though it seemed that many were there to see him). I recall a lot of annoying people in the audience whooping it up.

Maybe the sound would be louder at a Merriweather show than at a club and it would drown out the cokeheads and whoopers?

Yada

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 10:42:51 am »
So, I went to the show at Rams Head Live and it was possibly the WORST audience I've ever been in EVER. Drunk old frat dudes high on coke and drunk and acting like total assholes, people more concerned about drinking and talking loudly than watching a show, complete lack of concern for anyone who actually came to hear the music.

Do you think that's what I'd be walking into at Merriweather, or would it be more like a show? I'm not interested in plunking down another 100 bucks to really hate everyone around me.

I'm fine with people being f'ed up at shows, but most shows I go to, people are at least pretending to pay attention.

You're playin' with fire criticizing anything about board favorite Sturgill, but I think that's an opportune show that won't be close to sold out and cheap tickets will be all over the place come 9/15. That's my plan at least.

K8teebug

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 10:52:45 am »
I'm not criticizing him. I really love him. I was pissed I couldn't enjoy the show.

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 10:55:34 am »
The Lincoln Theatre crowds seemed fine but they were mostly behind me.

If I cant grab great tix I'm gonna wait.

Space Freely

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 10:57:06 am »

You're playin' with fire criticizing anything about board favorite Sturgill, but I think that's an opportune show that won't be close to sold out and cheap tickets will be all over the place come 9/15. That's my plan at least.

I didn't thbink she was criticizing the artist, but I did think she was calling Vansmack a drunk old frat dude high on coke and drunk.

Yada

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2017, 11:12:49 am »

I didn't thbink she was criticizing the artist, but I did think she was calling Vansmack a drunk old frat dude high on coke and drunk.

Criticizing his fan base is somewhat "about" Sturgill... that's what I was getting at, not the man himself. My apologies board.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2017, 11:53:07 am »
I did think she was calling Vansmack a drunk old frat dude high on coke and drunk.

drunk smackie is drunk.
<sig>

vansmack

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2017, 01:19:15 pm »
The problem isn't Sturgill.  The problem is you live in Maryland.

Last time I saw him live I was in a Vera Wang tux and the Mrs was in a Monique Lhuillier gown and the crowd seemed fine.
27>34

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2017, 01:27:15 pm »
every time i see "sturgill", the dyslexic half of my brain reads "turgid". 
<sig>

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2017, 02:01:33 pm »
Last time I saw him live I was in a Vera Wang tux and the Mrs was in a Monique Lhuillier gown and the crowd seemed fine.
While the thought of watching the Grammy's makes me want to stick glass in my eye, the fashion report on Facebook was a highlight of my social media week.
LVMH

Yada

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2017, 02:44:54 pm »
The problem isn't Sturgill.  The problem is you live in Maryland.

LOL

K8teebug

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2017, 03:10:01 pm »
Thanks for all these opinions. I'll wait and see  :D

vansmack

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2017, 03:34:42 pm »

As a new guy to country music, when those artists are coming to town at larger venues and the Mrs wants to go and if I don't care about the artist, I just sit on the lawn.  It's a party, country music fans like to party, I like to party so it's fine.

The majority of country music artists I want to see are so old that I'm usually the youngest person there so I spring for good seats.  They're all dying so this is becoming tougher.

For this particular show, though, and at this larger venue, I would probably do the VIP, either through the artist or a credit card offer and skip the GA.  I do this a lot at the Greek theater in Berkeley to avoid the shit show (Chris Stapleton, Belle and Sebastian, etc.).  I can usually get the first row or two where the seats are and sit with other fans who are willing to pay a little more for a better experience.   It's still close enough to enjoy it and most folks who are willing to spring are there for the artist.

I've been preparing for this with Sturgill for a while.  I'm pretty sure the days of smaller venues are over with him for the next few years.
27>34

Yada

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2017, 03:37:43 pm »

As a new guy to country music, when those artists are coming to town at larger venues and the Mrs wants to go and if I don't care about the artist, I just sit on the lawn.  It's a party, country music fans like to party, I like to party so it's fine.

The majority of country music artists I want to see are so old that I'm usually the youngest person there so I spring for good seats.  They're all dying so this is becoming tougher.

For this particular show, though, and at this larger venue, I would probably do the VIP, either through the artist or a credit card offer and skip the GA.  I do this a lot at the Greek theater in Berkeley to avoid the shit show (Chris Stapleton, Belle and Sebastian, etc.).  I can usually get the first row or two where the seats are and sit with other fans who are willing to pay a little more for a better experience.   It's still close enough to enjoy it and most folks who are willing to spring are there for the artist.

I've been preparing for this with Sturgill for a while.  I'm pretty sure the days of smaller venues are over with him for the next few years.

^^I like this guy's style^^