Author Topic: Iota closing this month  (Read 7039 times)

Yada

Re: Iota closing this month
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2017, 11:57:39 am »
Here is my best Iota story. I confess it makes me look less than a perfect gentleman, but for the sake of the tale, I tell it here.

One time my wife and I went to see Bobby Bare Jr. at Iota. He had a sticker with his cell phone number on his guitar case. We wrote it down. The next time he played Iota, we called his cell phone number and left a message asking if he wanted to get an ice cream with us before the show. He did not respond.

The next time he played Iota, we left the ice cream message again. We also put in a request for an old Bare JR song that he never does live, but hey a couple can dream. I can also sort of pinpoint this as the night my child may have been conceived, but that's another story.

Anyway, midway through the set, a group of rowdy drunk 20somethings entered the room. It seems like you got these people at every show at Iota. They were looking for another drinking spot and didn't give a shit about the music. The group proceeded to dance wildly to the music and make a bunch of noise. The dancing totally didn't match the music, they didn't give a shit about the music, it was all about being drunk and rowdy.

One girl in particular repeatedly danced into us. Yes, there was actually a time when Bobby Bare Jr could actually pull a crowd and the floor was full. But anyway, she kept dancing into us and others with no regard for those around her. Finally, I had enough. I dumped my cup of water on her head. Her drunk male friend, about half my size (meaning he was a midget, I'm not that big), stepped up and started threatening to kick my ass. At which point the friendly bouncer stepped in and politely asked us all to leave.

Later, I heard from our friend who had joined us at the show. Our friend, who is the perfect gentleman slightly anal type who gets upset when his wife farts in front of him. Surely, he would call me out for being a douche and dumping water on someone's head (I did feel a bit guilty about this after I did it.). But instead, he said that he witnessed the whole thing, and applauded my every move.

Then he told me that after we left, during the encore, that Bobby had played the Bare JR song we has asked him to play, announcing that it was "by request."

It still breaks my heart that I missed that song. But I got a kid out of the night.

A+, would read again.

bellenseb

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2017, 12:11:14 pm »
Forgot about...

Crooked Fingers/Eric Bachmann (at least twice)
Pernice Brothers/Joe Pernice
Neil Halstead
Freedy Johnston
Dan Bern (at least twice)

Missed out on...

Evan Dando
Vic Chesnutt w M Ward opening
Robyn Hitchcock

bellenseb

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2017, 12:13:26 pm »
So what led to the decline of Iota bookings from destination to maybe one national show a month? New small venues (Jammin Java, DC9), loss of a key booking staff member?

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2017, 01:08:28 pm »
Detroit Cobras
I knew there was someone I forgot!
that was a fun show

Earlier that day I had taken my then 3 year old daughter to see The Wiggles, and the red-shirted Wiggle was at the Detroit Cobras show.  I said hello, he was very gracious.  One of the stranger 'celeb' sightings I've seen at a show.

That was a great show.  I think that was the tour that Greg Cartwright played guitar on.

showlistdc

• http://www.showlistdc.com
    • Comprehensive DC-area concert calendar
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2017, 01:21:29 pm »
So what led to the decline of Iota bookings from destination to maybe one national show a month? New small venues (Jammin Java, DC9), loss of a key booking staff member?

JJ opened in 2001; DC9 opened in 2004. IOTA booked solid national acts well after those two venues first opened.

Space Freely

« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2017, 01:33:00 pm »
Neko Case
James Mercer (Shins) with Sam Beam (Iron and Wine)
Dr. Dog (opening for Bobby Bare Jr)
Robbie Fulks
Madeleine Peyroux
Laura Cantrell
Ryan Adams (two songs, from the window, I didn't get in either)
Bottle Rockets
Slobberbone
Big Sandy and his Fly Rite Boys
Jason and the Scorchers (I even have an old email from Jason confirming the date)
Mary Lou Lord
Pernice Brothers
Joe Pernice duet show with Norman Blake (Teenage Fanclub)
Waco Brothers
Freedy Johnston
Grant Lee Phillips
Legendary Shack Shakers
Freakwater
Ollabelle
Dale Watson
Clem Snide
Bennett and Burch (Jay Bennett, Wilco)
The Yayhoos (featuring among others, the singer from Georgia Satellites)

heff

« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2017, 02:32:42 pm »
Barrence Whitfield
Mark Eitzel
Fleshtones
Webb Wilder
Stan Ridgway
Pylon Reenactment Society

Back in the `90s, before the club expanded, crammed into see Kevin Johnson and the Linemen many times.

evilizac

« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2017, 02:48:11 pm »
Enjoyed only a few shows at iota, most recent I can remember was Ben Sollee. . . being on the MD side I didn't like making the drive
(and risk the odd parking situations) too often.
That being said, the best show any band I have been in has played was at iota; wonderful, clear well monitored sound and responsive staff.
That same band broke up two weeks later after playing possibly our worst show; a rainy day, outdoor, cancer benefit in the middle of the Damascus High School track (to roughly no one)... and someone's GF absconding with band funds and our drummer's cocaine.
   Side note, invited my first girlfriend (pre-dating) to that same iota show only to absentmindedly blow it (not catching her signals, I was a late bloomer) and have her hook up with the door man at the time...
   He got locked up with a DUI or something and in the intervening period of time she and I got together. Our relationship, much like that band, ended spectacularly.   
WHAT?

hutch

« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2017, 03:05:16 pm »
Cobras..what a waste of talent is the lead singer..one of my favorite female voices EVER..up there with the true greats..what has she done since 2007?? what a horrible waste

Space Freely

« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2017, 03:09:05 pm »
Enjoyed only a few shows at iota, most recent I can remember was Ben Sollee. . . being on the MD side I didn't like making the drive
(and risk the odd parking situations) too often.
That being said, the best show any band I have been in has played was at iota; wonderful, clear well monitored sound and responsive staff.
That same band broke up two weeks later after playing possibly our worst show; a rainy day, outdoor, cancer benefit in the middle of the Damascus High School track (to roughly no one)... and someone's GF absconding with band funds and our drummer's cocaine.
   Side note, invited my first girlfriend (pre-dating) to that same iota show only to absentmindedly blow it (not catching her signals, I was a late bloomer) and have her hook up with the door man at the time...
   He got locked up with a DUI or something and in the intervening period of time she and I got together. Our relationship, much like that band, ended spectacularly.   

I was thinking maybe this was a post by Ian McKaye. Until the bit about having a girlfriend. And the cocaine.

hutch

« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2017, 03:11:56 pm »
Iotas has sucked so hard since i moved to arlington seven years ago...it is like either they gave up or jammin java emasculated them...will not be missed even as clarendon continues its descent into full on bro country

Space Freely

« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2017, 03:51:53 pm »

I think we have our winning answer.

i moved to arlington seven years ago...

hutch

« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2017, 05:36:16 pm »
Truth is iota fell apart years brfore 2010..

Say james ford when did you say you moved to arlington?

ggw

shemptiness

« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2017, 01:39:20 pm »
Tommy Keene with a full band.  His family was in attendance and his nephew made an appearance on drums.  For 'Kill Your Sons' I believe.