Author Topic: Set Times  (Read 20741 times)

mdphunk

Re: Set Times
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2017, 01:13:01 pm »
I reactivated my years-old account on this forum to chime in on this topic.

I agree with others who have pointed out that set times are helpful in determining if I can make it to a show. Having a kid and needing a babysitter means I need to be able to plan out when I can leave the house and when I need to be home. It's one thing with a venue like MPP which has a hard curfew, but the 930 (and assuming Anthem) can be unpredictable.

I really wish Mr. Hurwitz and management would take another look at this and realize that it may cost them some business from loyal fans.

lily1

« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2017, 06:15:08 am »
I don't know why a service the club has offered for years and then other venues followed (black cat and rock and roll hotel post set times), would be stopped.

It 's an extremely customer friendly service that clearly lots of people (not just us whinebags on the forum) use.

Other reasons the set times help:

-When should my friends and I meet up for the show?
-How long can we hang in the back bar before the opener or before the headliner?
-If it's a sold out show, how early should I show up for a good spot because I'm not one of those assholes that pushes to the front because I got there 15 minutes after the band went on?
-There's track work on the metro so how early do I need to leave to accommodate for that and still make the show?
-Parking is a bitch and I'd like to take metro both ways so will it still be open when the show is over?

Yada

« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2017, 08:50:59 am »
I don't know why a service the club has offered for years and then other venues followed (black cat and rock and roll hotel post set times), would be stopped.

It 's an extremely customer friendly service that clearly lots of people (not just us whinebags on the forum) use.

Other reasons the set times help:

-When should my friends and I meet up for the show?
-How long can we hang in the back bar before the opener or before the headliner?
-If it's a sold out show, how early should I show up for a good spot because I'm not one of those assholes that pushes to the front because I got there 15 minutes after the band went on?
-There's track work on the metro so how early do I need to leave to accommodate for that and still make the show?
-Parking is a bitch and I'd like to take metro both ways so will it still be open when the show is over?

It's apparent that no one except Seth thinks this is a non-issue.

« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2017, 10:40:42 am »
er?
hey....who you calling asshole :)
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2017, 05:32:11 pm »
just so we have it in this thread too:

so...

set times...

a few different reasons...

they were often inaccurate, as we are dealing with human beings not videos and they just don't function like clockwork...we got complaints when the schedules weren't as posted, so we got tired of that

and the new website provider for some reason is now not able to add this info the day of, which is often when we figure this stuff out, so we just put door times now, which we do know in advance

but as you all are vastly experienced 930 goers...how are you not able to figure out approximately when the band you want to see goes on, and how often are you wrong and by how many minutes?

besides all that, yes we want you getting there early and not pre-gaming and spending your money elsewhere

<sig>

Space Freely

« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2017, 09:14:30 pm »

I agree with others who have pointed out that set times are helpful in determining if I can make it to a show. Having a kid and needing a babysitter means I need to be able to plan out when I can leave the house and when I need to be home. It's one thing with a venue like MPP which has a hard curfew, but the 930 (and assuming Anthem) can be unpredictable.

I really wish Mr. Hurwitz and management would take another look at this and realize that it may cost them some business from loyal fans.

Just curious, what was your previous handle? Were you by any chance "chokeychicken?" Because I was thinking the other day that was one of my favorite boardie names.

Space Freely

« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2017, 09:15:03 pm »
er?
hey....who you calling asshole :)

Bravo to Lily, she's spot on right on that one.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2017, 10:23:11 pm »

Just curious, what was your previous handle? Were you by any chance "chokeychicken?" Because I was thinking the other day that was one of my favorite boardie names.
The D-Plan played a reunion show and a pretty fair kerfuffle ensued.
LVMH

Relaxer

« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2017, 03:40:35 pm »

so...

set times...

besides all that, yes we want you getting there early and not pre-gaming and spending your money elsewhere

Debate this all you want. This is the one and only reason. There is no other reason for anything Seth does except making money, not one single thing. And it's a business so that makes perfect sense. But to act like there is any motivation other than Seth making money is foolish.
oword

hutch

« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2017, 04:40:43 pm »
So why the free water? Why no tix charges if you buy at box? Why friends with benefits? Why no giant ads at merriweather? Why the IMP 930 anniversary party or exhibit?

Bottom line is even if you want to make money there are different ways you can go about it....just compare IMP and Live Nation

« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 04:46:22 pm by hutch »

evilizac

« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2017, 05:07:59 pm »
Had this whole long thing but. . .
Maybe we're just last generation's concertgoer.
Maybe this is the beginning of the end of the forum as well. . . it is another thing that we collectively thought of as a small thing that served us and built community with the "club" but it's not like new boardie numbers have grown and as we get older we just get harder to please.
Also, who's to say that IMP doesn't want to be Live Nation (I know sacrilege), but businesses exist to make money and grow.
At some point all growing businesses recede into facelessness.
WHAT?

bearman🐻

« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2017, 05:15:37 pm »
Had this whole long thing but. . .
Maybe we're just last generation's concertgoer.
Maybe this is the beginning of the end of the forum as well. . . it is another thing that we collectively thought of as a small thing that served us and built community with the "club" but it's not like new boardie numbers have grown and as we get older we just get harder to please.
Also, who's to say that IMP doesn't want to be Live Nation (I know sacrilege), but businesses exist to make money and grow.
At some point all growing businesses recede into facelessness.

Yeah, feeling this as well. It sucks. And in order to not be swallowed by Live Nation, you have to be a big enough fish to keep from getting gobbled. I, for one, cannot afford to throw money away on concert tickets if I am not even sure I can go. Especially when I haven't even had a raise in 8 years.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 05:17:31 pm by bearman🐻 »

hutch

« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2017, 05:47:21 pm »
Well different generations have different outlooks..I know my generation always frowned on ticket reselling for profit...now it seems everybody does it

I have noticed the Board has slowed down....

damn bearman I always thought you were independently wealthy judging by all the shows you go to including out of town

I think there is the feeling of the end of an era and new beginning as Anthem opens but I am not sure why...DC has evolved a lot and IMP is following the changes...some prob had a tough time adjusting to the new 930

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2017, 09:37:09 am »

so...

set times...

Debate this all you want. This is the one and only reason. There is no other reason for anything Seth does except making money, not one single thing. And it's a business so that makes perfect sense. But to act like there is any motivation other than Seth making money is foolish.
Yep. Boardies really only have themselves to be mad at because they're the ones who erected him as a false idol. The wise, erudite members such as myself have been highlighting since time indefinite that he's a crass businessman who does not care about them. So, first and foremost, they should be mad at themselves for not following the board's one true point of light (me).

That said, if they want to direct their anger in a productive way, they can follow my years long lead of refusing to purchase anything (drinks, food, 930 gear) at IMP events other than tickets and mail the receipts for their pre- and post-concert drinks/food to Seth c/o the 9:30 Club box office.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 09:46:39 am by Julian, a Lust for GLORY »
LVMH

hutch

« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2017, 09:59:58 am »
You need to get laid dude