Author Topic: 2017 boardie survey  (Read 7547 times)

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
Re: 2017 boardie survey
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2017, 11:20:53 am »
So you're a massive hypocrite?
Definition of hypocrite: a person who acts in contradiction to his or her stated beliefs or feelings

My stated belief is that I don't recognize the baby jesus as anything other than one human born two centuries ago
I don't think there is one line in the bible about giving gifts and decorating a tree at the end of December?
LVMH

« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2017, 11:27:11 am »
Although Christians and non-Christians alike celebrate Christmas, the new survey shows they have differing views of the holiday. Two-thirds of Christians (65%) say Christmas is mostly a religious holiday, while most non-Christians see the holiday as more of a “cultural” event than a religious occasion.
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2017, 11:38:45 am »
Although Christians and non-Christians alike celebrate Christmas, the new survey shows they have differing views of the holiday. Two-thirds of Christians (65%) say Christmas is mostly a religious holiday, while most non-Christians see the holiday as more of a “cultural” event than a religious occasion.

What percent of Jews, Muslims, Hindus and Buddhists celebrate Christmas and see it as a "cultural" event?

Space Freely

« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2017, 11:41:01 am »
Definition of hypocrite: a person who acts in contradiction to his or her stated beliefs or feelings

My stated belief is that I don't recognize the baby jesus as anything other than one human born two centuries ago
I don't think there is one line in the bible about giving gifts and decorating a tree at the end of December?

Are you saying that if you *were* a Christian, you would strictly follow the Bible? Because a lot of the shit Catholics do isn't in the Bible. And I'm not just talking about the molesting, I'm talking about the rituals.

Also, are you saying Jesus was born in 1817?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 11:46:50 am by Space Freely »

« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2017, 11:48:50 am »

What percent of Jews, Muslims, Hindus and Buddhists celebrate Christmas and see it as a "cultural" event?
you left out atheists, satanists and what ever Julian is
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2017, 11:57:02 am »

you left out atheists, satanists and what ever Julian is

So are you saying that atheists and Satanists typically choose to celebrate a Christian holiday, but Jews, Muslims, Hindus, and Buddhists do not? Why is that?

hutch

« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2017, 12:03:20 pm »
Actually sidehatch that makes no sense..but I get you could care less

It is also a wasted opportunity

« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2017, 12:22:44 pm »
It is also a wasted opportunity
How so?
slack

evilizac

« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2017, 12:34:36 pm »
   If we're going by biblical Christ anecdotes; my co-worker, who is a Jehovah's Witness, claims the reason they don't hold celebrations, while believing in Christ, is because the Bible makes no claim of Jesus' birth date or references a celebration of such within text. So in his words December 25th is just some arbitrary date. 
   I personally feel that it's safe to say that we live in a country where most Christmas revelers' primary image of the holiday is: fat man, red coat, and delicately wrapped (if you're my SO) expensive gifts (do people really gift cars for Christmas... 1995 Toyota Corolla here so what do I know) and a pine tree or reasonable facsimile. None of which, I think, existed at some time early AD in the middle east. 
To me, "non-believers" celebrating Christmas is like a family that chooses to root for a sports team that they have no (or at best a tenuous)  affiliation with. It's their choice, it's fun to have something that you like to do.
   Maybe we should just roll pagan Christmas celebrations in with Thanksgiving, they're already playing the songs by then. That way the true believers can have the whole day for quiet contemplation or religious ceremony.   

Also, I grew up baptized Catholic with a lapsed Jewish father. . . So I celebrate what I know. . . Presents, gelt and Chinese food.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 12:36:30 pm by evilizac »
WHAT?

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2017, 12:57:59 pm »
   If we're going by biblical Christ anecdotes; my co-worker, who is a Jehovah's Witness, claims the reason they don't hold celebrations, while believing in Christ, is because the Bible makes no claim of Jesus' birth date or references a celebration of such within text. So in his words December 25th is just some arbitrary date. 
This isn't really a claim, it's an established fact regardless of one's religious leanings. There was no Julian Calendar in Biblical times; December 25th did not exist. There is no date (via the Jewish calendar) given in the Bible, and most anecdotal evidence points to it being more in line with fall.

December 25th was decided upon at the Council of Nicea (or Trent, I forget). It gave sanction the habit early Christians had of turning the pagan holidays around the winter solstice into a "Christian" holiday to fit in. Similar story with Easter (which falls on a different date every year because, again, the Julian calendar did not exist and so Nican 14 falls on a different day each year).

None of these things are actually in the Bible, they're just morphed version of pagan holidays. Which is fitting since Christianity is a morphed version of pagan religions to begin with.
LVMH

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2017, 01:04:48 pm »
So wait.  If I -- AND IM NOT SAYING I DID -- but if I were to have enjoyed a sufganiyot last week, would I need to repent?  Should I refrain from getting a paczki this year?  To whom should I apologize?  Am I to feel bad about my behavior?

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2017, 01:06:07 pm »
Maybe the atheists need to come up with their own raspberry jelly filled donut-centric holiday.

Yada

« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2017, 01:06:40 pm »
I'll get this back on track.

1. How many haircuts did you get in 2017? - Roughly one a quarter
2. Name your favorite Tom Waits release/album (compilations ok) - N/A
3. Most satisfying sexual position - half asleep, roll over, find the spot
4. Do you have a car? - Yes
5.  The concert you are most glad you where at - Hmm... in 2017... Phish in Mexico
6. Do you prefer the term "latino" or "hispanic" - Latino
7.musical instrument you wish you could play - I can kind of play guitar, really bad... so I wish I could play it well.
8. Did you buy a Christmas tree this year? - Yes, every year
9. Average time of work commute - About 10 to 15 footsteps depending on stride
10. Do you believe in God? - Maybe

evilizac

« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2017, 01:37:13 pm »
Regarding Tom Waits. . .
Should (or is) his discography ever split between like pre/post Swordfishtrombone?
I feel like that was a point of jettisoning of what would have been a generally respectable sound of possibly diminishing returns for a sound that eventually "music snobs" would use is juxtaposition of earlier trend to deify him to some degree as a some sort of hobo Buddha.
I think that he probably would have followed a trajectory of a Randy Newman or (probably more likely) Warren Zevon if he hadn't made the change (which I think is interesting as all three started at the time as piano based composers and had a relationship with the Eagles, but aren't exactly thaaaaaat west coast).
I like him, I appreciate the faux jazz and think that he works in an idiom of non-traditional (broadly speaking) pop.
My girlfriend hates it all. . . early stuff is too boring and later stuff just sounds like he needs water.

WHAT?

Space Freely

« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2017, 02:12:52 pm »
Regarding Tom Waits. . .
Should (or is) his discography ever split between like pre/post Swordfishtrombone?
I feel like that was a point of jettisoning of what would have been a generally respectable sound of possibly diminishing returns for a sound that eventually "music snobs" would use is juxtaposition of earlier trend to deify him to some degree as a some sort of hobo Buddha.
I think that he probably would have followed a trajectory of a Randy Newman or (probably more likely) Warren Zevon if he hadn't made the change (which I think is interesting as all three started at the time as piano based composers and had a relationship with the Eagles, but aren't exactly thaaaaaat west coast).
I like him, I appreciate the faux jazz and think that he works in an idiom of non-traditional (broadly speaking) pop.
My girlfriend hates it all. . . early stuff is too boring and later stuff just sounds like he needs water.

This post is Space-approved. Nice.