Author Topic: the weed, thread  (Read 79494 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: the weed, thread
« Reply #180 on: November 17, 2020, 03:34:43 am »
Will get voted on in Jan and will pass (like a joint at a Phish show) then the Gov will sign in June and probably won't go in effect until the fall (if past experience is any indicator)

is that your best guess, or do you have reliable intel on that?  because having this go live in less than a year is aggressive.  there is a lot of work to do with regards to regulation, licensing, approvals, changes to laws... if VA can get it done in less than a year, more power to yaz, but if they do announce that timeline don't be surprised if it slips.

I was discussing with my stoner friends that it is in 2022 when the first good outdoor harvest will be had

is the right to grow included in the VA initiative? 

here in WA you can purchase and consume in private, but growing isn't allowed.  makes it seem less like state authorities have increased our freedom, and more like they just want another source of taxation...
<sig>

« Reply #181 on: November 17, 2020, 09:18:50 am »
Well, now that you say it...grow was not mentioned and it's all speculation at this point.  But the Gov and the legislators are signaling what they are going to do

I agree ...my timeline is possibly too aggressive.  Considering the dispensaries were supposed to open in October and have yet to.

I hope grow is a part, seems silly not to
Growing is such a good thing for Jobs...there is a whole local food chain that starts if the state allows commercial grows.  If they get it from big out of state commercial providers, then a lot fewer jobs are created (and less tax revenue)

In DC the laws are fucked up: Can't buy, can't sell, Private Businesses can't allow smoking on premise, but private citizens can smoke on their premises, No smoking in public and definitely not on Federal land, can possess (to a limit) and can grow (but only 6 plants at a time)
slack

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #182 on: November 17, 2020, 11:10:50 am »
The timeline may be aggressive, but the police will *more than likely* be told to stand down prior to this being made official. 

« Reply #183 on: November 17, 2020, 11:55:09 am »
The timeline may be aggressive, but the police will *more than likely* be told to stand down prior to this being made official.
Pretty much already have, currently a $25 fine
slack

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #184 on: November 17, 2020, 12:25:43 pm »
Pretty much already have, currently a $25 fine
Payable without going to court imminently, and cops cannot use the smell of marijuana as a precursor to a stop or search.

Cannot speak for the rurals but marijuana enforcement in Richmond/Charlottesville is non-existent since decrim passed. Just absolutely open smoking of it in front of cops with zero said. POC experience may vary.
LVMH

« Reply #185 on: November 17, 2020, 12:26:42 pm »
Well, now that you say it...grow was not mentioned and it's all speculation at this point.  But the Gov and the legislators are signaling what they are going to do

I agree ...my timeline is possibly too aggressive.  Considering the dispensaries were supposed to open in October and have yet to.

I hope grow is a part, seems silly not to
Growing is such a good thing for Jobs...there is a whole local food chain that starts if the state allows commercial grows.  If they get it from big out of state commercial providers, then a lot fewer jobs are created (and less tax revenue)

In DC the laws are fucked up: Can't buy, can't sell, Private Businesses can't allow smoking on premise, but private citizens can smoke on their premises, No smoking in public and definitely not on Federal land, can possess (to a limit) and can grow (but only 6 plants at a time)
I believe one dispensary opened last week.

Northam is saying no state run marijuana sales and talking about small business so I think grow is part of that solution-set.
LVMH

WALKonBack

« Reply #186 on: November 17, 2020, 02:49:44 pm »
Isn't Virginia like the only state in the United States that has medical marijuana approved . . . but doesn't actually offer marijuana?

That should tell you how this is gonna go in Virginia.

"You're allowed to grow up to 6 plants, but your dog has to grow them."

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #187 on: November 17, 2020, 02:55:58 pm »
Northam is saying no state run marijuana sales and talking about small business so I think grow is part of that solution-set.

self-grown = can't tax, so don't be surprised if growing isn't included...
<sig>

« Reply #188 on: November 17, 2020, 03:00:23 pm »

Oh, that's a fair point.
LVMH

« Reply #189 on: November 17, 2020, 03:02:11 pm »
Isn't Virginia like the only state in the United States that has medical marijuana approved . . . but doesn't actually offer marijuana?

That should tell you how this is gonna go in Virginia.
This is kind of not a super fair analysis as they literally just expanded medical marijuana past epileptics like 4 months ago and have approved companies to provide marijuana, they just literally are delayed on opening for reasons that have nothing to do with "Virginia".
LVMH

« Reply #190 on: November 17, 2020, 03:17:10 pm »

Oh, that's a fair point.
Couldn't they just make up something like a parking decal or 'grow Stamp'
that you have to pay $200 a year to grow under 10 plans on premise (much more for commercial growers)
slack

« Reply #191 on: November 17, 2020, 03:18:40 pm »
This happened in a lot of states...I think in DC it was passed like 6 years ago for medical, but the first dispensary didn't open until 2017
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #192 on: November 17, 2020, 03:35:14 pm »

Oh, that's a fair point.
Couldn't they just make up something like a parking decal or 'grow Stamp'
that you have to pay $200 a year to grow under 10 plans on premise (much more for commercial growers)

sure, they could set that up... but do you think it'll work?  what percentage of home-growers are going to self-register?  would this scheme generate enough revenue to pay for enforcement? (or, after enforcement, will there be any revenue left?)

i have no idea if the economics work out, but i'd be willing to bet the numbers don't work.  so it comes down to allow growing & lower taxes vs. no growing and more taxes.  guess which way politicians tend to lean...
<sig>

« Reply #193 on: November 17, 2020, 03:41:40 pm »
I think you're way overthinking the impact of growing on the potential tax base generated by recreational THC. You (and other people) homebrew but the advent of homebrewing kits did not deleteriously impact "big alcohol". The percentage of weed smokers who want to grow their own weed vs buying at "Washington prices" is a miniscule fraction of weed smokers, I'd have to imagine. 
LVMH

WALKonBack

« Reply #194 on: November 17, 2020, 04:00:03 pm »
What I meant about Virginia and medical marijuana, was I'm pretty sure it's the only state that has medical marijuana approved but it will never actually offer marijuana to patients. You have to buy some shitty oil or low content THC products. You will never be able to go into a Virginia medical marijuana dispensary that's either open now or open next month or open next year and actually buy real marijuana. I am pretty sure it's the only state that has that.

Can you imagine going into a DC dispensary and the only thing they will sell you is a .03 THC pill to stick up your ass?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 04:01:55 pm by WalkOnBack »