Author Topic: The official fantasy booker thread  (Read 1751 times)

hutch

The official fantasy booker thread
« on: January 14, 2019, 01:50:35 pm »
Ok so here is the idea... I often think of acts I want to see but then I recognize why they aren't booked... they just don't have enough fans interested so it would be a money loser at the end of the day..

Are there any acts that come to mind that haven't been to DC in a while that you think would make some money and sell well... Imagine its your own money on the line.. or your JOB... what is a band you would book and hypothetically put your mouth and money behind...that hasn't come to town in a while?

For example, my favorite musician is Andres Calamaro the Argentine rocker dude... he has played NYC Irving Plaza (sold out but late in game) first time and then second time may not have sold out... tickets where like $60 and this is New York City full of Argentines and Latin Americans with money..Spanish people too (he lived and recorded in Spain for many years....very popular there)… on the other hand when he played Los Angeles on same tour they were goldstarring it or whatever to sell tickets... I know Calamaro would not want to come play a venue for less than substantial money (he can play huge shows in Latin America or Spain) but at the same time I know he would like to come to the US because its the US and he's a music freak and its an interesting trip.... but I also know some Argentine bands that I thought were fairly big played shows with very lackluster results (ie., Babasonicos, Ratones Paranoicos)  and a change of pace...although the Argentine bands that have a following in Mexico do very well in the US (Autenticos Decadentes)

Would I put my money on the line to bring Calamaro to DC? I have to say I am not sure I could offer more than say a place like the 930 club at $50 a ticket and I think he would want such a guarantee that the numbers would just not work so even though this is my number one show I want... I could not really put my money behind promoting it...not right now.. maybe I got cold feet.... but this is the kind of thing promoters must go through every time...

I remember Sidehatch one time had a living room Pat Dinizio show and I think he lost a little money but all his friends got to party at his house so it was great.. losing a little money is fine... losing 20 grand  or more not so much

So anyone got any shows you think are promotable in DC by artists looking to tour but for whatever reason just aren't happening? I mean we all know Tom Waits would do amazing but he's retired...for example

Space Freely

Re: The official fantasy booker thread
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2019, 02:35:28 pm »
Not to be rude, but I'm teleworking today and can't read all that small print on my tiny laptop with my old man eyes. Apologies.

That said, I did first read the title as "The official fantasy hooker thread."

hutch

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2019, 02:54:02 pm »
Not to be rude, but I'm teleworking today and can't read all that small print on my tiny laptop with my old man eyes. Apologies.

You got sex on the brain!

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2019, 02:59:57 pm »
I can't read the explanation for this thread so I'm just going to conclude Hutch has created a fantasy football-esque game around concert bookings and he's taken Seth with his first round pick and is currently making a homemade baseball card with his stats on the back in what may constitute the saddest arts & crafts project ever.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 03:11:18 pm by Julian, Semi-Retired WUNDERKIND »
LVMH

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2019, 03:00:44 pm »
Things Vansmack Thinks You Need To Know is right over there.
LVMH

hutch

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2019, 06:39:02 pm »
damn maybe I'm the only music concert geek who wants to play Fantasy Booker!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

hutch

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2019, 07:21:55 pm »
So Mott the Hoople 74 is bypassing DC

I wish it was not but from a booking perspective I don’t think it would work for DC....still a bummer...I doubt I want to hike up to PA