Author Topic: Leaving Early at Shows  (Read 2522 times)

StoneTheCrow

Leaving Early at Shows
« on: May 24, 2019, 08:34:40 pm »
Dick move?

I hate it when people walk out of bands I love...but, then, it's your money

Tboughts?

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
Re: Leaving Early at Shows
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2019, 02:26:09 pm »
I hate having to leave early. I never do it by choice.

Space Freely

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2019, 03:48:34 pm »
I love it when the tall guy in front of me, or the couple sucking face in front of me, or the bro spilling his beer on me...leaves early and i get to move up into his/her/their spot.

mekmad

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2019, 04:35:40 pm »
It's necessary at Jiffy Lube and FedEx field.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2019, 05:26:01 pm »
I remain in absolute awe of so many of you’s ability to have others’ actions impact your enjoyment of concerts you go to. Literally unless you scream over the band or start throwing up in close proximity to me, I do not care what you do at a concert because I’m an adult and it’s fine.
LVMH

Space Freely

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2019, 06:37:11 pm »
I remain in absolute awe of so many of you’s ability to have others’ actions impact your enjoyment of concerts you go to. Literally unless you scream over the band or start throwing up in close proximity to me, I do not care what you do at a concert because I’m an adult and it’s fine.

Are you also unaffected by any traffic jams you encounter when you drive to a DC show in a weekday?

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2019, 07:23:35 pm »

Are you also unaffected by any traffic jams you encounter when you drive to a DC show in a weekday?
That’s comparing apples and David Sedaris.
LVMH

hutch

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2019, 10:24:05 am »
People leaving early can be a downer...bands feed off the audience energy and when a substantial part of crowd leaves it drives it down for everyone

I don’t mind seeing shows that are unattended...a pro band will rise to challenge...I have seen bands that play for thousands play for fifty and had it be great but it’s different when loads of people are leaving during a performance cause it’s signaling they don’t think very much of performance band is putting on

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2019, 02:54:39 pm »
People leaving early can be a downer...bands feed off the audience energy and when a substantial part of crowd leaves it drives it down for everyone

That says it better than I ever could have.

notme

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2019, 04:01:30 pm »
what if the band sucks?

MAGA 2020

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2019, 09:42:22 am »
I will leave arena/barn shows early to get a jump on traffic if I've heard most of the songs I wanted to hear.  I am old.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2019, 10:27:26 am »
Perfectly fine if the opener is better than the headliner, or if the headliner sucks,
(_|_)

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2019, 10:44:54 am »
what if the band sucks?
They only suck because you the crowd are not giving them energy and thinking about leaving early when you should be focusing on them. You, the person who paid money to go to an entertainment event, have a moral obligation to the band, of whom you are a customer. (Of course, that obligation does not extend to you having to buy their music, that should be free.) But you cannot just decide you don’t like something and want to leave — that’s so selfish of you. Try thinking about others, like the person who is a bigger fan of music than you and who derives their self-worth from their status as a serious music fan and how disheartened they will feel by your craven and selfish exit.

#NoOneLovesMusicMoreThanMe #IAmMadOtherPeopleHaveFriendsAndIDoNot
« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 10:46:55 am by Julian, Adroit TASTEMAKER »
LVMH

hutch

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2019, 12:35:08 pm »
Julian having imaginary arguments! Love it...if there isn’t enough disagreement, controversy or hate we must make it up!

I guess DC also factors in... over the past two decades with incomes rising so much in the area that money isn’t much of a concern I think for certain shows particularly on week nights for 30/40 something’s you do begin to see a noticeable portion of concertgoers at some venues leaving early to get rides and get ready for the next workday...understandable yet striking given tickets are $50 and up

I definitely stay until they kick me out!

MAGA 2020

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2019, 01:25:29 pm »
Perfectly fine if the opener is better than the headliner, or if the headliner sucks,

Agreed.  Only did this once (as in left directly after the opener) at the Frightened Rabbit/Death Cab show at Merriweather show a few years back.  Was a pleasant quick show and was in and out.