Author Topic: Hey, hey, my, my (Classic Rock edition)  (Read 12956 times)

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
Hey, hey, my, my (Classic Rock edition)
« on: August 12, 2019, 04:21:45 pm »
Will rock and roll live forever? Has it already died?

As I stepped out of the shower today, I wondered what would signal the end of rock and roll. The collapse of Woodstock 50? Vampire Weekend? Peter Cetera joining Chicago?

Then it occurred to me that we still have original members of the Beatles, the Stones, The Who, Pink Floyd, Zep and a ton of others from the inaugural class.  They're all in their 70s.  When the last of that group finally dies, is that the day we'll all look back on and nod, yep, rock and roll is dead?

What say you?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 05:11:34 pm by excontradiction »

Re: Hey, hey, my, my
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2019, 04:26:26 pm »
I think there have been many other generations of rock and roll....aren't there a few levels of the new guard
does rock n roll only exist in the late 50s and 60s?

look at the ovure of GWAR and how future genrations will listen and be influenced
and of course Superorganism, they already have planets named after them
slack

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
Re: Hey, hey, my, my (Classic Rock edition)
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2019, 04:31:06 pm »
Mmm yeah no. I guess my question has an implicit bias towards innovators. The first ones to create something new. Yeah you can say that Chuck Berry and Elvis belong here, but you can't go too far back without getting into some proto-rock genre.

And isn't GWAR! derivative of Alice Cooper?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 05:11:39 pm by excontradiction »

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2019, 04:33:43 pm »
And isn't GWAR! derivative of Alice Cooper?
HOW DARE YOU....ban this bordie and put a pox on his house

jez...noob mistake and I didn't have the !
« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 04:55:47 pm by cruelty is the point ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llıl »
slack

WALKonBack

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2019, 04:54:02 pm »
I just, came here, for the commas.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2019, 12:44:24 pm »
We've really only had to deal with the untimely, premature deaths of the first generation of rock icons. In the next 10 years or so, most will be gone.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 05:11:45 pm by excontradiction »

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2019, 12:50:33 pm »
is the premise of this thread that there is no one under 70 producing rock and roll?
<sig>

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2019, 02:41:50 pm »
No, just that the first generation will be passing soon, and everything left will be derivative.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 05:11:54 pm by excontradiction »

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2019, 02:55:23 pm »
um their stuff was derivative too
slack

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2019, 03:56:26 pm »
um their stuff was derivative too

Derivative of prior artists in other genres, sure. But the rock and roll came into its own in an explosive way in the 60s and 70s.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 05:12:00 pm by excontradiction »

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2019, 05:02:03 pm »
I guess you are trying to say there is only one 'rock n roll' and all this stuff since then isn't rock n roll, but a derivative that 60s rock

I think Run DMC would beg to argue

I mean even through out the 60s Rock music was evolving year by year
You seem to have a really narrow definition of rock
slack

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2019, 05:12:27 pm »
I guess I meant classic rock.

Cock Van Der Palm

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2019, 04:57:36 pm »
I miss Larry Bud Melman

I guess you are trying to say there is only one 'rock n roll' and all this stuff since then isn't rock n roll, but a derivative that 60s rock

I think Run DMC would beg to argue

I mean even through out the 60s Rock music was evolving year by year
You seem to have a really narrow definition of rock

bearman🐻

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2019, 10:58:23 am »
I think every genre gets watered down and morphs into something else. Iggy Pop says music of the Stooges was him just "mis-hearing" the blues. My ears tend to find a lot of the production/technology elements of today to be objectionable. Others hear something I don't. I think it's just natural. My ears know what they like, and I'm not sure rock will die completely because I think as long as anyone can actually hear something, there will be people blown away by something like the Beatles. I still see disenfranchised teenagers even today wearing Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd t-shirts. Some music will just continue to exist beyond the time it was created, well after the songwriters are dead. The other day the 4 seasons by Vivaldi was playing in my Uber, and it was instantly recognizable to me. I don't really listen to classical. But it's iconic, immediate, and the sort of music that is like a primary color on a palette. I don't think "Abbey Road" is ever going to disappear. When I put on side 2 even now, my mind is just blown. It hasn't aged. It never sounds stale. For whatever reason, some music never, ever seems to disappear, even if you can't comprehend why you still hear it on a weekly basis. If you told me in 1985 I'd still be hearing "Relax" by Frankie Goes to Hollywood like every damn week, I'd tell you no freakin' way.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2019, 12:41:56 pm »
If you told me in 1985 I'd still be hearing "Relax" by Frankie Goes to Hollywood like every damn week, I'd tell you no freakin' way.
I'm going to hold off on joking about gay bar/club stereotypes and just ask, "where are you hearing Relax weekly?"
LVMH