Author Topic: Concert you regret missing most?  (Read 9345 times)

Bagley

Re: Concert you regret missing most?
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2020, 12:21:50 pm »
Two more, which were out of my control-

Emerson Lake and Palmer 8/18/74  Saratoga (NY) Performing Arts Center -cancelled due to an electrical storm

Grateful Dead run at the Philly Spectrum 9/13-15/92-  cancelled due to Jerry's health.  Of course, this was the first and only time I received front row seats from the GD mail order service. UGH!

BTW, great thread idea Hutch

bearman🐻

« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2020, 12:25:16 pm »
I'd have to say mine are Bowie, Motorhead, Prince. Those are the big ones.

I've seen a bunch of the shows that folks regret missing. The Replacements at Echostage was terrible. Saw them the next night in Philly, which ended up being their last US show, and it was everything you could have wanted/hoped for. So I'm glad I had a true Replacements experience. I saw the Cranberries in 1993 as they were blowing up. They were opening for Suede (with Bernard Butler) and that was an outstanding show. Dolores was a charmer. Really just a great singer and performer. They were great. I also saw Supergrass a ton of times. Always wonderful. Joe Strummer at the 9:30 was fantastic. He did a bunch of Clash tunes...“Bankrobber,” “Tommy Gun,” “London Calling,” “White Man in Hammersmith Palais,” “Rock the Casbah,” "Brand New Cadillac" and "I Fought the Law". Very happy I got to see him.

bearman🐻

« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2020, 12:41:54 pm »
Another one I saw, which I'm grateful I did, was the Tibetan Freedom Concert at RFK in 1998. I had tickets the first day...the weather was awful, so we scalped our first day tickets and then bought tickets for day 2 instead. Boy, was that a good call. Second day was pretty amazing, and after the mess from the first day it got really hard to get tickets to day 2. Highlights were definitely watching Radiohead play "Airbag" "Karma Police" and "Lucky" with Michael Stipe, Pulp play "This is Hardcore", REM playing a couple tunes with Thom Yorke, Beastie Boys opening with "Root Down" and going into "Shake Your Rump", and actually the Wallflowers and Wyclef were really good too.

hutch

« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2020, 01:02:31 pm »
This is not the rub in the shows you did get to see others wish they had thread Bearman!!

Yada

« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2020, 01:05:20 pm »
This is not the rub in the shows you did get to see others wish they had thread Bearman!!

Lol

John Prine is definitely up there for me... Just always get lazy and skip when he's in town but I need to change that.

Edit: John Prine and Emmy Lou sounds like a good evening in June.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 01:28:59 pm by Yada »

Julian, White Poet WARLORD

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2020, 01:16:21 pm »
Hey Bearman, I saw Bowie AND Prince so put that in your pipe and smoke it.  ;D
LVMH

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2020, 01:24:06 pm »
skipped Lisa Germano at IOTA and went to The Rapture at 930 instead....how stupid is that!

Only time I ever made it to Iota. I don’t think she ever came back to the area.

I should have noted that I had a ticket to the Replacements at the 930 in 86 but the tour was scrapped a few days prior when Westerberg took a stage dive and had his hand stomped. Never got to see Bob play.

bearman🐻

« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2020, 01:33:04 pm »

Haha, you missed it and wanna know how it was? I'd tell you if it sucked. Like the 'Mats at Echostage. That was awful.

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2020, 01:33:10 pm »
Probably the ones i regret not seeing the most having had ample opportunity to do so.....Bowie and the Ramones.

Prince's Purple Rain tour was my first concert though.

heff

« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2020, 02:35:02 pm »
Madness - back when I was cheap and thought $20 was too much too pay.
All the times Blur played at the Black Cat and I couldn't be bothered.
Trotsky Icepick at the 15 Minutes club.
Fugazi - I kept thinking I would've been beaten up for looking like a middle class suburbanite (which I am).
Devo at the Warner (New Traditionalists tour) I was only fourteen but I really wanted to go.

WALKonBack

« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2020, 02:45:55 pm »
Also . . . I guess, this falls into this category.

After 21 years of seeing them, I regret that I have not seen a single Phish show in 2 years and more than likely will never, see them again live.  Which, is sad, because I love them, and they really changed my life.

Burnt'd

I took an 18 year break and am so glad I've gone back to see them the last two years. Come out for Hershey or Atlantic City!!!

Yeah... Does not compute.

You still like them?

They play within one hour of your abode basically every year.

Come on Walky.

K8, I do think those AC shows could bring in a nassssty crowd... Just my opinion but keep it in mind.

I started to really ponder this one. Why, John, why. I love these guys so much.  They mean everything to me musically.  I would roadie follow them if I could.  But, then I figured it out.

I used to go to Phish shows with my friends.  We partied like rock stars from the moment we left until the moment we got home.  It was family.  It was freedom.  Then we got old, and no one that I went with goes anymore really. 

I got selfish and wanted it to be the way it once was.  I wanted my friends. I wanted that freedom.  And I didn't think Wilson, that I could still have fun, by myself.

The, end.

bearman🐻

« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2020, 02:48:02 pm »

So...how were they??

Yada

« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2020, 02:54:11 pm »
Also . . . I guess, this falls into this category.

After 21 years of seeing them, I regret that I have not seen a single Phish show in 2 years and more than likely will never, see them again live.  Which, is sad, because I love them, and they really changed my life.

Burnt'd

I took an 18 year break and am so glad I've gone back to see them the last two years. Come out for Hershey or Atlantic City!!!

Yeah... Does not compute.

You still like them?

They play within one hour of your abode basically every year.

Come on Walky.

K8, I do think those AC shows could bring in a nassssty crowd... Just my opinion but keep it in mind.

I started to really ponder this one. Why, John, why. I love these guys so much.  They mean everything to me musically.  I would roadie follow them if I could.  But, then I figured it out.

I used to go to Phish shows with my friends.  We partied like rock stars from the moment we left until the moment we got home.  It was family.  It was freedom.  Then we got old, and no one that I went with goes anymore really. 

I got selfish and wanted it to be the way it once was.  I wanted my friends. I wanted that freedom.  And I didn't think Wilson, that I could still have fun, by myself.

The, end.

I'll tell you what, John. I probably would've been in a similar situation, however, I converted my partner to a big fan in the early 2010's. She kind of pushes the experience now more than myself, but it's still fun, Wilson.

Julian, White Poet WARLORD

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2020, 02:57:32 pm »

So...how were they??
Bowie was the better of the two. It was part of that weird traveling festival with Moby in like 2002. Wish he had played longer.

Prince was musically super-tight but I was somewhat disappointed he did not play more hits, which seemed to have been his MO in later years.

If I could magically see either again, I would pick Bowie.
LVMH

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2020, 05:35:01 pm »
also, i was contemplating going to see frightened rabbit on that last tour....i had heard great things, knew a few songs, but just didnt make it happen.