Author Topic: Live in the Age of Covid19  (Read 103931 times)

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
Re: Live in the Age of Covid19
« Reply #330 on: June 05, 2020, 10:49:44 am »

« Reply #331 on: June 05, 2020, 11:49:55 am »
The Wiggles, every other Tuesday starting June 16th

https://www.chicagoparent.com/events/the-wiggles-live-from-hot-potato-studios/

With that link...shouldn't this be cross-posted in the potato news thread?
slack

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #332 on: June 05, 2020, 11:59:05 am »
The Wiggles, every other Tuesday starting June 16th

https://www.chicagoparent.com/events/the-wiggles-live-from-hot-potato-studios/

With that link...shouldn't this be cross-posted in the potato news thread?

I can't say I didn't struggle with that question.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #333 on: June 07, 2020, 04:38:14 am »
i just don't see this working:

Drive-in concerts may be the answer to the summer shows you're missing

in case anyone in B'more wants to give this a shot:

MARC REBILLET Drive-In Tour (Baltimore, MD) presented by HOTBOX
Tue, Jun 9 & Wed, Jun 10
Bengie's Drive-In (3417 Eastern Blvd, Middle River, MD 21220)

who is this guy?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vBwRfQbXkg
https://youtu.be/M4sKK3co_-w?t=105
https://www.marcrebillet.com/

hey, it's a show, right?  right?
<sig>

« Reply #334 on: June 11, 2020, 02:19:03 pm »
Wish I could find my post...but I called it...this is the future of concerts

https://consequenceofsound.net/2020/06/the-flaming-lips-perform-in-giant-bubbles-on-colbert-watch/
slack

hutch

« Reply #335 on: June 11, 2020, 10:45:28 pm »
Nothing new here...

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/06/09/873196748/americas-independent-music-venues-could-close-soon-due-to-coronavirus?fbclid=IwAR1Tqi1uTAdI5kKbbxUr2111J2rxJOdGFK0aX1-dhul0qOii-ov3QhgU1SQ

I kind of think local venues will reopen by late July but initially at 50% capacity...maybe that’s just wishful thinking

Not sure how seats would work? Empty rows between seated rows? Will people have to wear face coverings? Face coverings in summer kind of suck and make drinking kind of hard...and we all know music venues make their profit on drinks

is opening at 50% capacity with people wearing face coverings even viable?

All the shows I was interested either got cancelled or pushed way back

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #336 on: June 12, 2020, 03:23:18 am »
is opening at 50% capacity with people wearing face coverings even viable?

the question of the economic feasibility of limited/reduced capacity is the elephant in the room, IMO.  pre-covid, the vast majority of restaurants were operating on very thin margins.  restaurants, even good ones, go out of business every week - it's a tough business.
 how they can take a 50% hit (or more) doesn't make sense to me.

seth has stated in the past that shows at the 930 aren't terribly profitable (it's MPP and other big shows that makes everything worthwhile).  take away half the crowd - is there any profit at all?
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #337 on: June 12, 2020, 12:34:56 pm »
Bob Marley

THIS FRIDAY (6/12) 🚨 join us at 3pm ET for a special streaming watch party of Bob's #LiveAtTheRainbow concert, from June 1977 in London on the Exodus tour! Donations to support those in the music community affected by the coronavirus pandemic will be accepted during the livestream, with Spotify matching all contributions to MusiCares, dollar for dollar, up to a collective total of $10 million through the Spotify COVID-19 Music Relief project.

youtube.com/bobmarley
🔔 Set Reminder: bobmarley.lnk.to/TheRainbow
 ℹ️  Spotify x MusiCares: bobmarley.lnk.to/covid19relief
<sig>

rich_WDC

« Reply #338 on: June 12, 2020, 12:41:49 pm »

seth has stated in the past that shows at the 930 aren't terribly profitable (it's MPP and other big shows that makes everything worthwhile).  take away half the crowd - is there any profit at all?
[/quote]

So much depends on how much the bands, agents, manager, and vendors contribute to the calculus after factoring in their real hard costs.   

A bit of a standoff, even though everyone agrees that something as to be done.

Since so much traditionally rests on precedent (the most recent deal made with the band, e.g., is the new baseline) all parties need to suck it up and say something like "for the next 18 months, let's do what it takes, concede on dollars and deal specifics as necessary, and agree that nothing agreed to during this time necessarily needs to be honored in 2022+"      That's the gist; obv not perfect encapsulation.     

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #339 on: June 14, 2020, 01:53:42 am »
so last weekend, dave chappelle did the social-distancing live show thing: outdoors, seats 6 feet apart, everyone in masks (except him, obvs), etc.

but that isn't why you should watch this.  this performance, clocking in at 27 minutes, is powerful AF.  i won't spoil it for anyone but dave is in pain.  he doesn't hold back.  this isn't a comedy routine.

8:46 - Dave Chappelle
<sig>

« Reply #340 on: June 14, 2020, 12:59:05 pm »
I really enjoyed that, but it was very dark ( as it should be). Dave is and has always been the mother-fing man
He has this unique ability to really connect emotionally With what we are all feeling but afraid to say
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 10:46:28 pm by Go Back to Your Bunker ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|lıl »
slack

hutch

« Reply #341 on: June 14, 2020, 01:15:21 pm »
I remember I was tutor mentoring a middle school kid in Shaw about 15 years ago..did that about two years..meant getting up  about 8 on Saturdays...one year for Christmas I gave him the Chappelle show dvd..a lot of the kids honestly seemed into the tutor mentoring program more for what white people could give them than academics..I guess I failed cause he wanted some video game..I was pretty broke so like that was going to happen..kids name was Lamont...he thought his path to make it was football and there was little to do to dissuade him... I wonder what happened to him..I think he always regarded me with suspicion so it’s not surprising we didn’t stay in touch....I kept telling him if he studied he could get a scholarship and go to college but he didn’t get it or didn’t care..I kept telling him this cause I had done it myself..eventually it was clear my mentoring wasn’t really doing much so I stopped or he stopped..memory fades...at one point he didn’t have his textbook so I went to his school all WTF..turned out he had lost his textbook and they wouldn’t give him another unless his mom paid..she refused..she was a very young woman..a single mom..way over her head...I either paid or yelled and they gave him another but it drove into me how messed up it was..how hopeless

I think people are way oversimplifying this whole police thing and systemic racism thing...but I do think the police state approach to black people hasn’t and isn’t going to work..and it’s just wrong

« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 01:17:33 pm by hutch »

hutch

« Reply #342 on: June 14, 2020, 01:25:30 pm »
2 things I forgot to mention

1. There was never any evidence Lamont was any good at football or any sports ..in fact he was rather overweight..who knows maybe he was going to be a lineman but it wasn’t like he was killing it in middle school football or even playing 

2. Sometimes we would do stuff like take them to museums or sporting events

« Reply #343 on: June 18, 2020, 07:45:23 am »
I have caught zero of all these 'live' events

Luna
Sat, Jun 27, 06:00 PM PDT

Dean & Britta are gonna play an all-Luna set June 27 6pm PDT, 9pm EDT, live from the living room in Los Angeles. Sean and Lee can't be there; they are in New York and Austin respectively but will share in the proceeds, which will also help to fund the mixing of some recent Luna live shows. https://deanandbritta.veeps.com/stream/events/d502eab985fc
slack

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #344 on: June 18, 2020, 12:34:21 pm »
😐 🎶