Author Topic: Live in the Age of Covid19  (Read 103711 times)

Hutch

Re: Live in the Age of Covid19
« Reply #885 on: November 20, 2023, 01:46:46 pm »
Well, you are pro choice this week.

When 4000+ people were dropping dead per day you were begging for vaccinations for yourself and your family….

Who knows what next week will bring.

It’s ok but let’s recognize the limits of your convictions. You blow like the wind.

(No disrespect meant)

Space Freely

« Reply #886 on: November 20, 2023, 02:13:16 pm »
Well, you are pro choice this week.

When 4000+ people were dropping dead per day you were begging for vaccinations for yourself and your family….

Who knows what next week will bring.

It’s ok but let’s recognize the limits of your convictions. You blow like the wind.

(No disrespect meant)

I was pro-choice when 4000 people were dropping dead. My choice was to get the vaccine. I don't regret my choice (I think my wife and daughter do, but that's their story.)

I'm pro-choice still. Perhaps I will choose to get the shot. Maybe I won't. It just slips my mind. I hadn't even thought of COVID for at least a month, until my Bestie resurrected this thread this morning.

Not meaning to be blatantly flippant about it, but I think we're at the time where it's not completely foolish (for some people) to be flippant about it.

Different people have different comfort levels. I once dated someone who ask all of her potential partners to take an STD test before having sex. I never asked anyone.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2023, 02:16:22 pm by Space Freely »

Hutch

« Reply #887 on: November 20, 2023, 03:20:09 pm »

So I think I am as bad as anyone on consistency on this topic.

But I don’t remember it that way…you were pretty hardcore about vaccines and masking.

Most people I knew were hardcore about vaccinations other than a few because we were repeatedly told we had to achieve herd immunity etc. We were told once we achieved that we could go back to normal. We were told this like a mantra over and over again.

It all worked out a little differently. Let’s hope we never have another pandemic cause ain’t nobody going to believe anything the authorities say.

Personally I am not vaccinated for a while and don’t care and that’s with an incurable cancer that weakens my immune system so I can understand why nobody cares anymore.

So much of society’s response was overdone and incorrect…pure paranoia.

I am kind of angry about the whole thing….the closing of the schools probably set back my special needs kids for life, my father in law dying cause he was basically locked up in a retirement community, the nonsensical loans and credits by the government….

As a society with group think we mostly went one way and now we’re going another way. A very expensive error was made….

It is true some were more questioning than others…

It’s kind of hard to believe the whole thing? Trump was right…Fauci was wrong. There was a great article about all this recently….We would have been better off going with Sweden’s approach.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2023, 03:24:03 pm by Hutch »

Hutch

« Reply #888 on: November 20, 2023, 03:25:29 pm »
Sorry. I am just in A bad mood.

Space Freely

« Reply #889 on: November 20, 2023, 03:33:03 pm »
Honestly, if I had cancer I'd probably be running to get the new vaccine. But no judgment on you and your choices, I'm sure you're more informed regarding your individual situation than I am.

My mom is 82 with multiple risk issues and has had a series of mini-strokes (and lost 18 pounds the one time she had Covid), but still has not gotten any vaccine. If I were here, I'd be taking my chances with the vaccine.

Was this the article you speak of? I have not read it yet so have no opinion to offer, just the article.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/article/covid-lockdowns-big-fail-joe-nocera-bethany-mclean-book-excerpt.html

I do think probably a lot was done wrong and a lot was done right by authorities. I don't think there was any kind of conspiracy behind it.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2023, 03:34:57 pm by Space Freely »

nkotb

« Reply #890 on: November 20, 2023, 03:59:04 pm »
My wife has a compromised immune system, so we were itching to get the vaccine. We're all mostly up on boosters (my wife and daughter are waiting until they're a bit more beyond their last round of COVID).  Still, we've all caught it (some twice) with being up to date, so I know of get the reluctance.  I suppose the argument is that you don't get it as bad, but man, my first go-round was the sickest I had been in years, so either that's not true or I would've immediately died without the shots.

Either way, it's kind of a lose-lose, right?  If you tell people COVID is over and you beat it, it's a good win for Biden, but why would anyone get a shot for something that's not an issue?  And if you really stress the urgency of keeping up to date on it, you kind of have to admit it's still around and that's the last messaging I'm sure they want out there.

Space Freely

« Reply #891 on: November 20, 2023, 04:57:55 pm »
It sucks that it ever had to become a political issue. But I guess that's the world we live in.

Hutch

« Reply #892 on: November 20, 2023, 05:21:43 pm »
Honestly, if I had cancer I'd probably be running to get the new vaccine. But no judgment on you and your choices, I'm sure you're more informed regarding your individual situation than I am.

My mom is 82 with multiple risk issues and has had a series of mini-strokes (and lost 18 pounds the one time she had Covid), but still has not gotten any vaccine. If I were here, I'd be taking my chances with the vaccine.

Was this the article you speak of? I have not read it yet so have no opinion to offer, just the article.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/article/covid-lockdowns-big-fail-joe-nocera-bethany-mclean-book-excerpt.html

I do think probably a lot was done wrong and a lot was done right by authorities. I don't think there was any kind of conspiracy behind it.

Yes that was the one

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #893 on: November 20, 2023, 05:42:27 pm »
It sucks that it ever had to become a political issue. But I guess that's the world we live in.

Yeah, it seems like if it was a straightforward health issue and you didn't care about politics, you would just get one.

Space Freely

« Reply #894 on: November 20, 2023, 06:13:43 pm »

Yeah, it seems like if it was a straightforward health issue and you didn't care about politics, you would just get one.

14% of adults have gotten the new booster, the goal is 25%. I'm going to guess the rates for children are even lower.

Clearly, many people of all political persuasions no longer feel it's a health issue.

Yada

« Reply #895 on: November 20, 2023, 11:02:53 pm »
I miss the days of belittling people for not wearing a mask in open fields the size of a few football fields. Them were the days. 

Space Freely

« Reply #896 on: November 21, 2023, 08:58:42 am »
I miss the days of belittling people for not wearing a mask in open fields the size of a few football fields. Them were the days.

I wonder if you'll be reminding us of this every chance you get 34 years from now...like how I bring up the story of the girl with blue hair who gave my roommate and Ifree tickets and one backstage pass to the Pixies in London in 1989 every time anyone mentions the Pixies? :)

(Side Note to Swifties: Taylor was in the womb when this show occurred.)

Yada

« Reply #897 on: November 21, 2023, 09:33:50 am »
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Space Freely

« Reply #898 on: November 21, 2023, 09:40:25 am »
I think it's appropriate to have an evolving view of it all. I don't think there should be or should have been a one size fits all mandate on anything. Especially mandating a vaccine requirement for kids, for something that barely affected them. Also agree with Hutch about the school closings. My kid did fine with remote school (not bragging, just breathing a sigh of relief), but feel bad that so many kids got fucked over.