Author Topic: I write to you from…..  (Read 356 times)

Hutch

I write to you from…..
« on: March 28, 2024, 10:01:50 pm »
Charlottesville

Am here with my fam for the weekend. Any suggestions welcomed.

Tomorrow I will look up the Monticello biz…

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
Re: I write to you from…..
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2024, 10:33:13 pm »
Charlottesville

Am here with my fam for the weekend. Any suggestions welcomed.

Tomorrow I will look up the Monticello biz…
Tavola is the best restaurant in town but idk if young kids are the move there.

Michies Tavern seems like a cool “with kids” thing and it’s not far from Apple picking. Monticello obviously you already know.
LVMH

Hutch

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2024, 09:43:27 am »
That’s good. Thanks.

Space Freely

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2024, 01:38:23 pm »
Williamsburg, for a college tour. My wife wanted the tour guide's phone number. I will say, he was the best tour guide we've had, and this was our fourth tour this year.

Next up, afternoon tour in Newport News.

Stopping in Richmond for dinner on the way home.

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2024, 04:51:10 pm »
Williamsburg, for a college tour. My wife wanted the tour guide's phone number. I will say, he was the best tour guide we've had, and this was our fourth tour this year.

The Venn diagram of students legitimately and realistically considering CNU and William + Mary is wild.
LVMH

Space Freely

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2024, 07:26:32 am »

The Venn diagram of students legitimately and realistically considering CNU and William + Mary is wild.

Might as well cover the unlikely reach and the unlikely target in the same trip. They, along with Mary Washington, give a good feel of what a small liberal arts school would feel like at an in state school price.

Yada

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2024, 08:38:05 am »

Might as well cover the unlikely reach and the unlikely target in the same trip. They, along with Mary Washington, give a good feel of what a small liberal arts school would feel like at an in state school price.

How long until space starts mandatory food rationing in his abode to pay for over priced liberal arts degrees?

Space Freely

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2024, 09:05:44 am »

How long until space starts mandatory food rationing in his abode to pay for over priced liberal arts degrees?

Not something to worry about if you start investing in a 529 at kid's birth.

And yeah, overpriced compared to when we all went to school. But take a look at lifetime earnings for bachelor's degree or above vs. high school education.

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2024, 09:11:56 am »
s birth.
. But take a look at lifetime earnings for bachelor's degree or above vs. high school education.
while true in some cases, most people would make more in a lifetime starting work early in a trade
college is great, but it's not for everyone, even 1/2 of everyone

One thing that I never heard NKTOB rail about is Biden's promise to make community college free; I think that would have a gigantic impact for generations.
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2024, 10:39:08 am »
s birth.
. But take a look at lifetime earnings for bachelor's degree or above vs. high school education.
while true in some cases, most people would make more in a lifetime starting work early in a trade
college is great, but it's not for everyone, even 1/2 of everyone

One thing that I never heard NKTOB rail about is Biden's promise to make community college free; I think that would have a gigantic impact for generations.

Aren't most of the "trades", at lest the better paying ones, male dominated? Because of course they are. If 98.3% of plumbers, pipefitters, and steamfitters were women, those would be some of the shittiest paying jobs around.

(Fun fact...my dad left a lucrative career in aeronautical engineering behind to be a family farmer...and ended up being a pipefitter in a paper mill for 40 hours a week while running a farm into the ground another 60 hours a week.)

And as a woman, the dating pool is better while you're in college and a college graduate. I feel like I can say the same for myself too, though I've been out of the pool for 20+ years.

And yeah I'm for anything that makes college more affordable for those who can't afford.

I want to know where Hutch ate at in C-ville. Since we love college tours so much, we still might do the tour there to see what we'll be missing because our kid doesn't have a 1470 SAT score and 4.4 GPA.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2024, 10:42:54 am by Space Freely »

Hutch

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2024, 11:40:47 am »
Is it that hard getting into UVA as a state resident?

Anyways don’t know that my oldest who is in 8th grade will even make it to college. The older he gets the more I feel his autism is an issue. It really tears me up. I guess my kid will be mopping floors for Spaces….oh wait they will have robots doing that…

It sure is a beautiful campus and looks like a wonderful place to go to college.

I was sure glad to make it to Monticello finally. Always wanted to visit.

The food at Michies was real good even if my kids took three of my four chicken tenders.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2024, 11:47:02 am by Hutch »

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2024, 12:09:50 pm »
Yes. Premier academic institution in the state — less than 20% acceptance rate, iirc. I believe only
Washington and Lee is harder to get into.
LVMH

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2024, 08:07:39 pm »

yeah, in state has always been really competitive
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2024, 08:34:38 pm »

yeah, in state has always been really competitive

27%acceptance rate in state, 12% out of state.