Author Topic: Who owned the 00s?  (Read 2742 times)

hutch

Who owned the 00s?
« on: June 24, 2020, 11:53:56 am »
My decade was the 90s...that’s when I was buying all the new releases and seeing all the newer bands at the 930...I still think 1994-95 were the best years since the punk/post punk explosion in 1977..I spent most of 2001 and 2002 in Buenos Aires and when I came back in late 2002 I was focused on jazz and international music...

So I am not sure who I would put in here...only ones that come to mind are:

The Strokes
The White Stripes
LCD Soundsystem

Anyone got anything? I imagine for many boardies this was their decade to shine

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
Re: Who owned the 00s?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2020, 12:40:12 pm »
Sharon Jones and The Dap Kings \ Daptone Records

I  was well into Northern Soul\Deep cuts, etc by the mid 00s and rarely finding anything from new artists in the same vein.  Wasn't until I heard my first Sharon Jones track that I truly became aware of the burgeoning Retro or Neo Soul movement that they were clearly the front runners of.  They inspired the formation of other collectives in order to release records and form groups.
T.Rex

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2020, 12:42:40 pm »
I think the ability to 'own' a decade changed as there were no longer a few gatekeepers to the music
everyone seems to go down their own genre and don't mix that much
slack

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2020, 12:49:20 pm »
iTunes

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2020, 12:52:05 pm »
Kanye West owned that decade. Not really debatable. 

Radiohead Nad QOTSA were pretty strong as well.

hutch

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2020, 01:23:53 pm »
iTunes

That’s good but I mean musically not commercewise

Cock Van Der Palm

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2020, 01:29:47 pm »
Now I know you are just fucking with us.

I  was well into Northern Soul\Deep cuts, etc by the mid 00s and rarely finding anything from new artists in the same vein.  Wasn't until I heard my first Sharon Jones track that I truly became aware of the burgeoning Retro or Neo Soul movement that they were clearly the front runners of.  They inspired the formation of other collectives in order to release records and form groups.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2020, 01:30:26 pm »
I think the ability to 'own' a decade changed as there were no longer a few gatekeepers to the music
everyone seems to go down their own genre and don't mix that much

well this pretty much where I ended up with regards to the 90s and  iscemented by my including Sharon Jones for this era..

there was one major label soul artist that came out in 00s, who was so fleeting I can't even remember the name of them, but basically they had a 60s soul sound but the songwriting wasn't that good.  so Daptones and others were able to do their own thing without worrying about pleasing the gatekeepers and subsequently were able to build that fanbase and audience.   
T.Rex

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2020, 01:37:25 pm »
Now I know you are just fucking with us.

ok Franz Ferdinand
T.Rex

hutch

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2020, 01:40:07 pm »
Ohhhh oh I like me Franz Ferdinand!

Julian, White Poet WARLORD

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2020, 01:42:45 pm »
Kanye West owned that decade. Not really debatable. 
This is correct.
LVMH

hutch

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2020, 01:52:47 pm »
I’d like three choices

So Kanye and and

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2020, 01:53:10 pm »
Apparently its the Beatles and Eminem.

"Over three decades after their breakup, the Beatles still released the top-selling album of the 2000s. The Fab Four’s greatest hits compilation 1 sold over 11,448,000 copies since its release in November 2000 according to Nielsen SoundScan’s decade-end sales numbers. Eminem was the 2000s’ top-selling artist with 32.2 million combined in sales, plus two albums in the decade’s Top 10: The Marshall Mathers LP was fourth with 10,195,000 sold and Eminem Show was fifth with 9,789,000. Slim Shady edged out the Fab Four for the distinction of the decade’s top-seller as the Beatles claimed Number Two with 30 million."

Then there's this horror:

"Only two more albums managed to cross into diamond — or 10 million sales — certification: ‘NSync’s No Strings Attached (11,111,000) and Norah Jones’ Come Away With Me (10,523,000.) As a testament to the record industry’s decline in the second half of the decade, only two albums released in the years between 2005 and 2009 managed to get in the Top 20 of the 2000s’ bestsellers: Nickelback’s All the Right Reasons and Carrie Underwood’s Some Hearts at 14 and 17 with sales under seven million. Nickelback’s “How You Remind Me” was also named the 2000’s Number One overall song, beating out Train’s “Drops of Jupiter” and Lifehouse’s “Hanging on a Moment.”

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/eminem-and-the-beatles-the-top-selling-artists-of-the-2000s-249639/

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2020, 01:59:03 pm »
My decade was the 90s...that’s when I was buying all the new releases and seeing all the newer bands at the 930...I still think 1994-95 were the best years since the punk/post punk explosion in 1977..I spent most of 2001 and 2002 in Buenos Aires and when I came back in late 2002 I was focused on jazz and international music...

So I am not sure who I would put in here...only ones that come to mind are:

The Strokes
The White Stripes
LCD Soundsystem

Anyone got anything? I imagine for many boardies this was their decade to shine

if we're going by popularity, number of hits, number of sales... none of the three you put forward make the cut (neither does sharon jones).  they're at the top of the indie charts for the 00's, but that's a sliver of the music market.

i mean, radiohead had a stronger run: kid a, amnesiac, hail to the thief, in rainbows. 
<sig>

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2020, 02:12:06 pm »
I remember when Norah Jones became so popular so quickly, she went from playing Iota to  Wolftrap within six months.  And there was posting on forum about how people were upset they couldn't get tickets to that Wolftrap show. 

edit on her own she went from Iota to Wolftrap... looking at setlist.fm she was warming up for DMB in 2002.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 02:14:10 pm by kosmo vinyl »
T.Rex